Change To 'Bios' Will Make For Pcs That Boot In Seconds

pitrevie

Sounds great, but I have my doubts regarding UEFI kicking BIOS to the curb so fast. Quoting one very optimistic statement from the article: "He said that 2011 would be the year that sales of UEFI machines start to dominate."

I have my doubts UEFI will dominate in computer sales so fast as I'm sure there are royalty/patent/copyright type fees which must be paid to use this technology and when such payments are involved things sometimes move slow. Plus, 2011 is just around the corner...less than 3 months away....I seriously doubt UEFI will start to dominate is such a short period. Guess it depends on a person's definition of ...."start" to dominate.

Certainly agree, sounds great.

But I am unsure how it will help. Is it not the operating system that takes the time to load. Certainly with my computer, from switch on to the windows loading page showing is just seconds (the BIOS part). All the associated programs with windows, firewall, anti-virus, audio/graphics, printer etc are the things that take time to load.

Certainly agree, sounds great.

But I am unsure how it will help. Is it not the operating system that takes the time to load. Certainly with my computer, from switch on to the windows loading page showing is just seconds (the BIOS part). All the associated programs with windows, firewall, anti-virus, audio/graphics, printer etc are the things that take time to load.

Most reasonable speed computers are normally around 50/50 with bios delay and OS delay.

However with UEFI, a solid state disk and putting your computer into hibernate mode rather than shutdown you could get pretty close to instant on.

And you can guarantee that once UEFI becomes mainstream OS makers will work at speeding up their boot times as a new selling point.