Coach'S Pizza Aka Ridgley'S

Sojourner

I found out the other day that Coach's Pizza, which has been open for about two months, is the old Ridgley's. Their menu is abbreviated from the original, but they still have pizza, BBQ ribs & chicken as well as salads and sandwiches. Was there tonight and took home a 14" pie and an order of ribs. Still the same quality as they had in San Sai. Their new location is on the north side of the road to Night Safari, between the Chiang Mai-Hang Dong Rd. and the Canal Rd. They have many tables on the premises to enjoy your meal as well as take away. They are open every day except Sunday from 11 AM until 8 PM week days and 9 PM Friday & Saturday. I, like many others, were sorry to see them close a couple of years ago. They ran a clean establishment. Nice to have them back.

Is this the ring road where you make a right turn after Big C?

No, carry on further down the Hangdong Road (heading south) to the next set of lights and turn right (signposted Night Safari right at this junction). Just head up there looking right and you will see it.

I ate there a few weeks ago when it first opened and it was alright, but not amazing. To me it was strange that you enter a sort of "shop" part where you place your order and then go and take a seat and wait for your food to be delivered. Maybe this is an American thing; not something I have ever experienced before. It felt a bit like I was ordering a takeaway, but the prices are definitely full sit down meal prices. I'm not really complaining - as I said, it was okay, but we haven't rushed back. They don't sell beer either!

Is it somehow connected to Grace school and the World Club Missionary Clan (no beer...)? I guess it is positioned to target the large World Club American community and certainly all of the customers when I was there were American. The pricing also made me think it must be trageted at missionaries - plenty of free cash to spend :whistling:

Is this the ring road where you make a right turn after Big C?

No, carry on further down the Hangdong Road (heading south) to the next set of lights and turn right (signposted Night Safari right at this junction). Just head up there looking right and you will see it.

I ate there a few weeks ago when it first opened and it was alright, but not amazing. To me it was strange that you enter a sort of "shop" part where you place your order and then go and take a seat and wait for your food to be delivered. Maybe this is an American thing; not something I have ever experienced before. It felt a bit like I was ordering a takeaway, but the prices are definitely full sit down meal prices. I'm not really complaining - as I said, it was okay, but we haven't rushed back. They don't sell beer either!

Is it somehow connected to Grace school and the World Club Missionary Clan (no beer...)? I guess it is positioned to target the large World Club American community and certainly all of the customers when I was there were American. The pricing also made me think it must be trageted at missionaries - plenty of free cash to spend :whistling:

I asked the same question last night because the old Ridgley's had plenty of beer and made a really strong margarita too. I was told that the beer would be coming soon and if a customer wanted to bring their own in the meantime there would not be a corkage charge. The owner is an athletic teacher/coach and used to be at the school behind Ridgley's. I don't think Grace has anything to do with the new place. My thoughts were they need more lighting in and around the restaurant. We came after dark and since there wasn't a sign above the door I wasn't sure it was the right place. It seemed gloomy. The sign out front is bright enough though. When I compared the quantity of toppings on my pie last night it seemed to be much more than their nearest two competitors provide.

Edited by Sojourner

We tried the original place in Sansai once and thought it was O.K., nothing special. Certainly not worth going out of your way for. We didn't care for the pizzas at all and in fact couldn't even eat them, but the homemade salad dressings were good and were a nice change from the horrible sweet mayonnaise sauce that the Thai restaurants put on the salads. It reminded me of the kind of food you would find in a 'diner' in a small town in Texas, Oklahoma, Burbank, California or somewhere like that...basically WASP's trying their hand at Italian cooking... It was absolutely packed with missionaries the night we were there. Many were praying. The Thai waitress said the owners were missionaries.

I'll stick with the pizza's from The Dukes and Pizza Koh Lanta, thank you!

We too went on the opening night. I think the mainstay of Coach's menu are the ribs but to be honest, given the pricing, I would look for a bit lot more in the way of ambience - it felt like a carry out with a few tables set up as a convenience. Drinks in paper cups and food in a plastic basket is not on for that kind of money here in Thailand. I expect they'll do OK with delivery orders in World Club Land but for ribs and pizza there are better choices.

We too went on the opening night. I think the mainstay of Coach's menu are the ribs but to be honest, given the pricing, I would look for a bit lot more in the way of ambience - it felt like a carry out with a few tables set up as a convenience. Drinks in paper cups and food in a plastic basket is not on for that kind of money here in Thailand. I expect they'll do OK with delivery orders in World Club Land but for ribs and pizza there are better choices.

I'm a pork ribs fan and after the Filmore East closed I've been searching for good ribs. Where do you go?

Too bad there isn't a half way decent place to get a bite to eat and have a few drinks with some of the expats down around the area where this pizza joint is. I know there must be quite a number of expats living in the area and not all abstaining bible totters.

Be great if someone opened something like the old Tuskers around this area. I'm sure both the rent and parking could be better out this way. I'd love to become a regular and help support an establishment like this if one actually existed.

I'm a pork ribs fan and after the Filmore East closed I've been searching for good ribs. Where do you go?

We used to buy Ridgley's BBQ rub and sauce and make them at home and they were every bit as good as in the restaurant. Now we've run out of the rub etc I'm starting to experiment with online recipes but so far I haven't found one quite as good but still working on it.

Salsa Kitchen's "original recipe" (classic?) ribs are beloved by many.

Salsa Kitchen's "original recipe" (classic?) ribs are beloved by many.

Wow, thanks Ulysses G, I forgot about Salsa Kitchen after they moved. Guess I'll have to swing by. Parking on the sidewalk, right?

We tried the original place in Sansai once and thought it was O.K., nothing special. Certainly not worth going out of your way for. We didn't care for the pizzas at all and in fact couldn't even eat them, but the homemade salad dressings were good and were a nice change from the horrible sweet mayonnaise sauce that the Thai restaurants put on the salads. It reminded me of the kind of food you would find in a 'diner' in a small town in Texas, Oklahoma, Burbank, California or somewhere like that...basically WASP's trying their hand at Italian cooking... It was absolutely packed with missionaries the night we were there. Many were praying. The Thai waitress said the owners were missionaries.

I'll stick with the pizza's from The Dukes and Pizza Koh Lanta, thank you!

I guess they were praying that this time they could eat their pizzas. wink.gif

Last time I went, you could park for free in the service station across the street.

Make sure you get the old recipe and enjoy!

where is the sals kitchen located?

rick

Salsa Kitchen is located west of Kad Suan Kaew (Central) on Huai Kaeo Rd. opposite the Shell gas station.

Last time I went, you could park for free in the service station across the street.

Make sure you get the old recipe and enjoy!

where is the sals kitchen located?

rick

Salsa Kitchen is located west of Kad Suan Kaew (Central) on Huai Kaeo Rd. opposite the Shell gas station.

While we're talking about Pizzas, can someone please tell me what the attraction is? Just seems that its a lump of wheat based pastry with stuff on top and baked. Rather have real food myself! Wheat is hardly the healthiest thing for people to eat.

While we're talking about Pizzas, can someone please tell me what the attraction is?

It TASTES good. ;)

(Also, it is healthy enough with the right toppings and, preferably, whole wheat crust).

Actually wheat is a killer - it is the main cause of ibs and is a huge contributor to stomach cancers in some blood groups. Whole wheat is no better.

The exact cause of IBS is unknown. The most common theory is that IBS is a disorder of the interaction between the brain and the gastrointestinal tract, although there may also be abnormalities in the gut flora or the immune system.[5][6]

http://en.wikipedia...._bowel_syndrome

Medical professionals do not seem to agree with the killer wheat theory. :ermm:

Edited by Ulysses G.

The exact cause of IBS is unknown. The most common theory is that IBS is a disorder of the interaction between the brain and the gastrointestinal tract, although there may also be abnormalities in the gut flora or the immune system.[5][6]

I don't know where this theory about wheat come from.

We eat bread twice a day from young kid on and we belong to the people with the highest age ranges on Earth.biggrin.gif

Edited by Joop50

We eat bread twice a day from young kid on and we belong to the people with the highest age ranges on Earth.biggrin.gif

And we are amongst the highest levels of IBS and stomach cancers in the world.

I love how this thread has gone from a born again pizza to stomach cancer.:lol:

There are 2000 cases of stomach cancer a year in Netherland. We belong to the lowest incidence in the EU. (Wikipedia) The story is not true.

• 6 months later...

I met the owner of Coaches at a Boys Blues Bar (a cool jazz bar near Kalare Night Bazaar) and he seemed like a cool guy. But I had no motivation to try the place out.

...until he invited the infamous Chai (from the old Chai Blue Bar) to play down at Coaches. The event was pretty good. Seating was a packed, decent outdoors environment. And the tickets price's included beer or wine, and there was food to order. I never went to Ridgley's when it was open, but friends said the ribs were similar (and in their opinion, the best in CM). I skipped the ribs and went for slices of their meat-lover's pizza. Easily one of the best pizzas in Chiang Mai... very much like a wood oven fired pizza. Less grease and more flavour than Duke's.

Nice place. Give them a try if you live nearby. They have beer, wine, and cocktails... so don't be too afraid of the missionary crowd. The really conservative ones will stay away. :-)