Radar Detectors

deadman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I brought mine from the US, but I have never tried to use it. It is still sitting in the pocket of my suitcase that I brought it in almost 2 years ago. I have never seen them sold here. I have never seen anyone using one either. There is really only a couple of places in Bangkok that have radar guns and laser powered speed cameras. So I never used it because I became familiar with where the speed traps are. Maybe I will hook it up the next time I am driving past a known trap and see if it works. I don't know if they use the same radar and laser bands that the detector is looking at.

I will keep you posted if I do.

You know, I brought mine from the US, but I have never tried to use it. It is still sitting in the pocket of my suitcase that I brought it in almost 2 years ago. I have never seen them sold here. I have never seen anyone using one either. There is really only a couple of places in Bangkok that have radar guns and laser powered speed cameras. So I never used it because I became familiar with where the speed traps are. Maybe I will hook it up the next time I am driving past a known trap and see if it works. I don't know if they use the same radar and laser bands that the detector is looking at.

I v got a Whistler. Must admit since the fines are only 200 baht, I have never bothered to use it. Besides its to slow on lasers, and HWP uses lasers more than radars

havent been fined since I became a Highway Police Volunteer, have police sticker in my windshield/rerwindow and police id card.

So Whistler is for sale if anyone wants it.

I v got a Whistler. Must admit since the fines are only 200 baht, I have never bothered to use it. Besides its to slow on lasers, and HWP uses lasers more than radars

havent been fined since I became a Highway Police Volunteer, have police sticker in my windshield/rerwindow and police id card.

what is a highway police volunteer? Can u give us some details please.

DM

DM

I attended to the 5th class, in Phuket in April. approx 160 students, approx 60 farang, people from all over Thailand as far as Nong Kai.

Should be around 3-500 Highway Police Big Bike Volunteers by now.

All Police forces in LOS are short of staff, most commonly known are the Tourist Police volunteers and Immigration volunteers.

We assist payed Highway Police when needed or before they arrive. I have only acted alone once since April, bike accident with 65 yo OZ couple, in addition to body damages her heart had stopped and in shock, local police did nothing, got her heart started again, made her husband talk her out of shock (he thought she was dead) and helped them choose ambulance/hospital. Its a small line between life and death in traffic accident. Most people know nothing about first aid.

I have seen the highway patrol using radar on Highway 1 north of Tak on Highway 2 south of Khon Kaen and Highway 214 south of Surin. You really do need to get out and away from Bangkok.:whistling:

not highway patrol for sure:rolleyes:

Highway Police use radars and lasers on all highways (the roads with 1,2 or 3 digits in roadnumber), but presently they have more lasers than radars

I don't get it? Does it matter if it's highway patrol or not? A ticket is still a ticket..

The fine depends on the infraction as in every location. My last highway fine years ago was 500b and the real inconvenience is that if they do it properly they confiscate your drivers license and you have to go hunt it down at the local Smokey station and pay the fine to get it back, so it's worth avoiding the inconvenience for me..

To answer the OP's question I brought one from the states and just began using recently with the increase, but the signals are so infrequent here including the false signals it's really easier to use but takes some of driving with it to get used to the false signals avoid ignoring it..

Unless they are using the older K band it has only signaled once in months on X band and yet to get any laser signals..This is Bangkok by the way..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I don't get it? Does it matter if it's highway patrol or not? A ticket is still a ticket..

The fine depends on the infraction as in every location. My last highway fine years ago was 500b and the real inconvenience is that if they do it properly they confiscate your drivers license and you have to go hunt it down at the local Smokey station and pay the fine to get it back, so it's worth avoiding the inconvenience for me..

To answer the OP's question I brought one from the states and just began using recently with the increase, but the signals are so infrequent here including the false signals it's really easier to use but takes some of driving with it to get used to the false signals avoid ignoring it..

Unless they are using the older K band it has only signaled once in months on X band and yet to get any laser signals..This is Bangkok by the way..

it matters warpy, cause if a highway patrol fine you, its obviously a scam since there is no highway patrol in LOSB)

a proper speed check by Highway Police has one officer operating radar/laser, one radio speed/vehicle info, one recieve radio info, one or several pull over speeding vehicles, one or several sit by a table and issue fines/collect money.

other "speedchecks' are not proper, and are most effectively solved with 2-300 baht on spot

HWP uses a mix of K, X and lasers. The old Ks where a gift from a western country;)

before this gift there where no speedchecks in LOS

DM

I attended to the 5th class, in Phuket in April. approx 160 students, approx 60 farang, people from all over Thailand as far as Nong Kai.

Should be around 3-500 Highway Police Big Bike Volunteers by now.

All Police forces in LOS are short of staff, most commonly known are the Tourist Police volunteers and Immigration volunteers.

We assist payed Highway Police when needed or before they arrive. I have only acted alone once since April, bike accident with 65 yo OZ couple, in addition to body damages her heart had stopped and in shock, local police did nothing, got her heart started again, made her husband talk her out of shock (he thought she was dead) and helped them choose ambulance/hospital. Its a small line between life and death in traffic accident. Most people know nothing about first aid.

Well done Mate I wish we had this in Australia too. But the police association are worried that salary and overtime will be cut so no hope of this happening soon in Aus.The Americans are more forward thinkers 4 sure

The only place I've seen radar in use is around Tak and one time between Chiang Mai and Pittsanulok. I'm yet to see it in use in Isan.

one laser post between Kon Kaen and Udon and one radar between Udon and Nong Kai on same day, both north bound. my last trip couple of months ago.

I've been through a few now.

Udon - Khonkaen, 2 about 20 km apart

Sisaket - Ubon, near Khanthararom, also between Huai Khayung and the Ubon ring road. They also had a camera on tripod speed trap on the Ubon ring road 231 near the river as you head from 226.

Sisaket - Khantaralak. Got stopped, wasn't speeding and managed to talk my way out of it. Common of late in the morning and evenings near Ban Dong Bang.

Edited by Farma

Well done Mate I wish we had this in Australia too. But the police association are worried that salary and overtime will be cut so no hope of this happening soon in Aus.The Americans are more forward thinkers 4 sure.

I think you will find fred that theres alot more behind it than just salary and overtime issues. In Australia any formal action taken against people for example, regarding speeding needs to be able to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law. It certainly wouldnt be cost effective to have volunteers trained in these sort of field and then theres the more serious issue of SAFETY. Highway Patrol policework is some of the most dangerous type of policework there is & thats got little to do with the role in which they carry out but merely for the fact that all grubs that are out there at large move around in vehicles & often get detected by HWP police doing something fairly minor & situations develop from there as most of these grubs obviously prefer to avoid police at all costs. Volunteers in most western societies are best kept WELL AWAY from this type of policework. No Police officer wants to be teamed up with anyone who can't hold their own in situations that escalate quickly and without warning, which is one of the main reasons Police in Australia keep their volunteers safely tucked away inside Police stations filing & helping with all those time consuming administrative work. ;)

You are either a brave or perhaps reckless man kata. :lol:

situations develop from there as most of these grubs obviously prefer to avoid police at all costs.

When a speeding fine is hitting on a $1000 and you know you've got more horsepower than their standard issue patrol cars.. I guess some people become temporary "grubs" LOL

p.s. what's a grub? isn't that something your Aboriginals eat??

Well done Mate I wish we had this in Australia too. But the police association are worried that salary and overtime will be cut so no hope of this happening soon in Aus.The Americans are more forward thinkers 4 sure.

I think you will find fred that theres alot more behind it than just salary and overtime issues. In Australia any formal action taken against people for example, regarding speeding needs to be able to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law. It certainly wouldnt be cost effective to have volunteers trained in these sort of field and then theres the more serious issue of SAFETY. Highway Patrol policework is some of the most dangerous type of policework there is & thats got little to do with the role in which they carry out but merely for the fact that all grubs that are out there at large move around in vehicles & often get detected by HWP police doing something fairly minor & situations develop from there as most of these grubs obviously prefer to avoid police at all costs. Volunteers in most western societies are best kept WELL AWAY from this type of policework. No Police officer wants to be teamed up with anyone who can't hold their own in situations that escalate quickly and without warning, which is one of the main reasons Police in Australia keep their volunteers safely tucked away inside Police stations filing & helping with all those time consuming administrative work. ;)

You are either a brave or perhaps reckless man kata. :lol:

always fearless, often brave and on occasions reckless:D :D

but riding in a bike convoy with HWP vest or without it doesnt really change the safety aspect for me, but more HWP hopefully increases the general level of safety and qualified assistance on accident scenes

office volunteering I would have to return my badge;)

always fearless, often brave and on occasions reckless:D :D

but riding in a bike convoy with HWP vest or without it doesnt really change the safety aspect for me, but more HWP hopefully increases the general level of safety and qualified assistance on accident scenes

office volunteering I would have to return my badge;)

Bah! you're not fooling me KBB! I know you only do it so you have a license to drive 160+ :P :P :P

situations develop from there as most of these grubs obviously prefer to avoid police at all costs.

When a speeding fine is hitting on a $1000 and you know you've got more horsepower than their standard issue patrol cars.. I guess some people become temporary "grubs" LOL

p.s. what's a grub? isn't that something your Aboriginals eat??

In some states speeding fines go well over $1000 old mate.

I wasnt trying to refer to the everyday joe (a minute speeding grub) but the ahole that makes a living from doing much more serious crimes don't normally drive around all law abiding and all that ;) .

Ohh yes and Aboriginals do eat wichetty grubs and they are a whole lot more desirable than the others :D

In some states speeding fines go well over $1000 old mate.

I wasnt trying to refer to the everyday joe (a minute speeding grub) but the ahole that makes a living from doing much more serious crimes don't normally drive around all law abiding and all that ;) .

Ohh yes and Aboriginals do eat wichetty grubs and they are a whole lot more desirable than the others :D

old? oh wow, it's bad enough that my kids think I have one foot in the grave, but now I have other expats labeling me that :(

J/K thanks for the info, hehe ;)

If I ever need to visit Oz I think I'll just hire a taxi - I've too many years of zero to 200 Baht fines, with happy, smiley, friendly Thai police that only want some Baht for lunch/dinner/drinks that have err, "influenced" my driving style to be, I expect, somewhat Western unfriendly :D:P

I just re-read that MRO & had a laugh. In some states of Australia HWP Police are driving 6.0litre V8 Holden Commodores (SS models, some monaros & club sports) & even in standard trim SS form, these vehicles are no slouch. Of course in most of the states its only HWP Police that are allowed to drive these vehicles and they do so for between 40-60 hours per week, during which time they are constantly driving in all types of situations and conditions & alot of them also hold skills well above the HWP training they were given. I can guarantee that there are certainly some very good drivers amoungst them. On the other hand, theres you who almost certainly doesnt get half the chance to exercise and hone your skills (excluding those car racing members of course).

Of course there are those situations where the reckless will outrun the cops but thats more often than not as a result of the Police terminating their pursuit due to safety concerns (for the general public).

Can you high powered weapon outrun a supersonic round fired out the end of a pistola? :lol: What about the speed of sound, can you outrun a Police radio frequency? And then theres those wonderful little road spikes

There are quite a few Radar traps as we call them in the UK and the Highway Police are quite active on the road from CNX to BKK as they consider it an easy target.According to the boss of the Highway Police in CNX they will be in the next 2 years installng speed cameras and radar traps on the same route and other roads within their district leading into BKK You may also now find some of their cars fitted with radar and video technology Yes they are using Falang Volunteers because the Highway and Traffic Police do not have the English language skills. The Tourist Police do not need Volunteers when there are no Tourists here in CNX

Edited by techno

I just re-read that MRO & had a laugh. In some states of Australia HWP Police are driving 6.0litre V8 Holden Commodores (SS models, some monaros & club sports) & even in standard trim SS form, these vehicles are no slouch. Of course in most of the states its only HWP Police that are allowed to drive these vehicles and they do so for between 40-60 hours per week, during which time they are constantly driving in all types of situations and conditions & alot of them also hold skills well above the HWP training they were given. I can guarantee that there are certainly some very good drivers amoungst them. On the other hand, theres you who almost certainly doesnt get half the chance to exercise and hone your skills (excluding those car racing members of course).

Of course there are those situations where the reckless will outrun the cops but thats more often than not as a result of the Police terminating their pursuit due to safety concerns (for the general public).

Can you high powered weapon outrun a supersonic round fired out the end of a pistola? :lol: What about the speed of sound, can you outrun a Police radio frequency? And then theres those wonderful little road spikes

I was just joking, I can see this is much closer to your heart than mine, so apologize if I hit a nerve :jap:

That said, while the Chev LS1/2/3 are a nice engines, wrapped in 1800 KG of police car there's still a crapload of (Western) vehicles that'd have them for breakfast. You know that though ;) I'd still love one here in TH even though :lol:

Have you been through a radar trap here and seen a cop half a mile down the road to stop you. No you may get someone on foot jump out front of you but that about it

I was just joking, I can see this is much closer to your heart than mine, so apologize if I hit a nerve :jap:

That said, while the Chev LS1/2/3 are a nice engines, wrapped in 1800 KG of police car there's still a crapload of (Western) vehicles that'd have them for breakfast. You know that though ;) I'd still love one here in TH even though :lol:

Not really close to my heart but Ive seen the plenty of bodies that were a result of idiots running.

I agree, nice engines & nice cars and yes there are plenty of other cars that will eat them for breakfast, but I was referring to the drivers ;) ;) .

If you ever get one in LOS, please take me for a drive :D

Have you been through a radar trap here and seen a cop half a mile down the road to stop you. No you may get someone on foot jump out front of you but that about it

:lol: Yeah I know & if you don't stop, at worse someones probably going to throw their bag of som tum at you. :lol:

Radar detectors arnt all they are cracked up to be anyway. If a decent radar or better still laser operator is using the equipment (I know, its los) then by the time the detector detects the laser, you're toast anyway......but as I said, it all comes down to the use of the speed detection equipment.

And then theres the cost of the detector & then theres the 200-1000 baht fines here

Your wrong. I was busted outside of Prasat by a radar trap. Cost me 500 baht and a receipt. The Thai highway Patrol are not as dumb as people on this forum make them out to be.:ph34r:

Your wrong. I was busted outside of Prasat by a radar trap. Cost me 500 baht and a receipt. The Thai highway Patrol are not as dumb as people on this forum make them out to be.:ph34r:

Hang on, are you saying that you got nabbed for speeding just outside Prasat and they had guns drawn, radio's pulled and calling in the helicopters, and spikes laid across the road?

Or are you just drunk as per sig? ;P

Obviously not if they caught someone as astute as you.

So I assume they have been trained properly on how to use the equipment & are well aware of its deficiencies or for a better choice of words, the errors it can produce? (of course they have :rolleyes: ).