Gillhams Experience

kenny999

Gillhams today with 2 friends, (GOOD POINTS), great location with stunning views, pristene lake and lake as a whole excellent, very good fish care, (THE DOWN SIDE), food and drink to expensive I would be surprised if they sold much, our guide was poor and did not know much but pretended to know a lot, Baitrunner reels poor with poor drag, rods okay if you want to catch Moby dick, line looked old, rigs over the top with long rubber tube protection on main line to resist abrasion but there are no snags in the lake, owner arrogant and did not look very happy, when you pay £100 for a day's fishing you do not expect to be left with out bait for over 1 hour, fishing okayish told Mekong;s rarley caught, I caught 5 Carp virtually all the same size, friends caught 1 carp each. you can only use there bait.

Would I reccomend Gillhams NO because customer care was poor food and drink far to expensive.

Would I go again No because for 1 day's fishing it is far to expensive, 1 day at Sawai lake in Phuket is better value and nicer people.

Did I have a good day yes with friends, the view superb.

Quotes from the Gillhams fishing guide.

We only use braid for float fishing because the poly float causes wear to the mono line.

The drag on the reel is not working correctly because when it rains it affects the reel.

Hooked a fish but was snapped because the drag was not working correctly, quote from guide you must take the baitrunner off, been fishing for over 30 yrs guide 7 months think I know more than him.

Friend hooked a fish which I landed you are not supposed to do that at Gillhams, why because guide dissapeared on returning he said you can't leave fish on it's side in the water, my thought was well dont dissappear then!!!!!!!

Was left for over 1 hr with no bait so obviously not fishing, owner of lake quote well guide is taking care of 4 people, is that my problem when I am paying over £100 get more guides!!!!!!

My question why don't you use braid, guide because Mono has streach and braid does not so when you hook a fish it will snap you, he is right there because the drags on my 2 reels were not working correctly.

You have to laugh dont you.

We only use braid for float fishing because the poly float causes wear to the mono line.

The drag on the reel is not working correctly because when it rains it affects the reel.

Hooked a fish but was snapped because the drag was not working correctly, quote from guide you must take the baitrunner off, been fishing for over 30 yrs guide 7 months think I know more than him.

Friend hooked a fish which I landed you are not supposed to do that at Gillhams, why because guide dissapeared on returning he said you can't leave fish on it's side in the water, my thought was well dont dissappear then!!!!!!!

Was left for over 1 hr with no bait so obviously not fishing, owner of lake quote well guide is taking care of 4 people, is that my problem when I am paying over £100 get more guides!!!!!!

My question why don't you use braid, guide because Mono has streach and braid does not so when you hook a fish it will snap you, he is right there because the drags on my 2 reels were not working correctly.

Yes i have to laugh about your last comment on braid or i must have misunderstood it. I use braid a lot and it usually does not snap if you set your drag a lil bit more loose then what your used to with mono. Later in the fight you just increase the drag its not rocket science its called fishing.

With fishing you adapt to the circumstances. If you know that your fishing with braid and it has no stretch you adapt.

I usually have 2 or more spools for my spinning reels so i can switch. I would not use braid if i use a float. It's too much work (if there is wind).

Edited by robblok

Yes i have to laugh about your last comment on braid or i must have misunderstood it. I use braid a lot and it usually does not snap if you set your drag a lil bit more loose then what your used to with mono. Later in the fight you just increase the drag its not rocket science its called fishing.

With fishing you adapt to the circumstances. If you know that your fishing with braid and it has no stretch you adapt.

I usually have 2 or more spools for my spinning reels so i can switch. I would not use braid if i use a float. It's too much work (if there is wind).

The braid comment was made by the guide not me!!!!!! I have been fishing for over 30 yrs I know a little something about the sport

The braid comment was made by the guide not me!!!!!! I have been fishing for over 30 yrs I know a little something about the sport

I must have misread then, my apologies. I am a newbie fishing wise. I have been fishing on and off for many years but not constant. Still i know enough about it. Fishing is not hard at all and if you have half a brain and read a bit around its easy to catch up.

I like braids because it allows me to cast further.. I hate braid because if used with a float and a little wind its all over the place. I just adapt with some luck i will have a feeder boat soon (if my dad can bring it over undamaged) also some new rods.

I must have misread then, my apologies. I am a newbie fishing wise. I have been fishing on and off for many years but not constant. Still i know enough about it. Fishing is not hard at all and if you have half a brain and read a bit around its easy to catch up.

I like braids because it allows me to cast further.. I hate braid because if used with a float and a little wind its all over the place. I just adapt with some luck i will have a feeder boat soon (if my dad can bring it over undamaged) also some new rods.

No problem I love fishing here, in the UK it was expensive cold and wet and often you would catch nothing, here it is cheap hot wet and often you will catch many. sounds good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats because braid floats and mono sinks.

With the plastic inner tubing i've never known a float to cause abrasion to any line?

Could always bore the channel in the float wider if thats the case.

The best thing about mono is obviously the price. Why braid can't be cheaper I don't

know. Surely with all the textile factories one can make a good braid at a better price.

It can't be as complicated as making clothes can it!

I think braid makers have fishermen hook line and sinker :lol:

Thats because braid floats and mono sinks.

With the plastic inner tubing i've never known a float to cause abrasion to any line?

Could always bore the channel in the float wider if thats the case.

Sorry do you know what a quote is?

My OP states quotes from Gillhams fishing guide. these are the things he said to me, again I have been fishing for over 30 yrs and I know just a little bit about fishing.