Nine Month Old Trying To Walk

Monkeypants

Hello fellow parents.

I am a little worried about my nearly 10 month old son, he tries to walk and occassionally falls over and hits his head on the tiled floor, second time this week, his head has two Tom & Jerry lumps on it, and If I shave his hair, his head would look like a tattie.

Other than a few lumps he is fine.

Any parents out there have any tips on how to help my little fella walk unaided and still be safe ?

Edited by Monkeypants

We just went through all that, and it is distressing to see your little one bump their head, and get hurt. It's going to happen, but try to minimize it as in previous posters picture. Block off a room, and get as much foam as you can. don't cheap out, and it will keep your blood pressure down.

At emporium 4th floor they have these large one piece colourful foam mats for sale. Nice thing is they look easy to clean and being 1 piece, you don't have to worry about your kid taking it apart and possibly swallowing those little puzzle type foam pieces. Not cheap though.

I divided the living room and put interlocking foam tiles down. Plenty of falls, but very few tears.

room.jpg

OK, when you do not need it any longer after the smart little boy learns to bump it down or climb over it or lean until it tips over....

we can probably make a fish pond out of it, what do you think?

Seriously, it looks safe meeting the FAA standards for sure. LOL

By the way, where is that little boy? Is he hiding behind something bigger than he is? LOL

Like your setup. We are using stainless with fish net which is more steady but also more expensive.

Hey, I just notice, you were not buying new pvc for your precious little one.

You were using the old old pvc pipes from you know where!

You did remember to sanitize them, did you not? LOL

MONKEYPANTS

Well, when your 10 month old learns to walk, PUT him on one of the 4 wheels slider, mine just loves it.

Besides, very little HUA-NO (หัวโน head-bump) too. Speaking from experience, of course.

Edited by mkawish

Experiencing the same thing but haven't changed anything. My son has bumped his head a few times, no tears, and has seemed to learn quite quickly from this bumps.

e.g. he slid off the sofa once, head first. He wanted to get back on the sofa straight away, turned himself around and went down feet first. Clever boy :lol:

Wrote the above before seeing the picture you posted of your setup. It looks great and something I think I'll look into - my boy has recently discovered the stairs (crikey) and they're his favourite play-thing right now, which is a nightmare, so blocking off the stairs in a similar way could be a good idea.

I reckon the large foam pieces are better cos the kiddies always pull them up, and when you have to put them back several times a day it can get a little tiresome.

My 2nd daughter was fond of climbing and a fall off the back of a chair seem far worse than slipping on tiles.

Of all the places a toddler can hit, the head is the one to avoid the most. Saying that though, it's impossible to avoid totally and I wouldn't worry too much. My daughter banged her head into the tiled floor a number of times and she cried the first couple of times, then stopped bothering about it - unless grand mother or mother was there and fussed about it.

This is only going to be a problem for a month or so, then she will get better at controlling things. The large foam pieces are great if you can afford them, if they almost break the economy, then don't bother and just do your best to avoid it, that will be good

This is only going to be a problem for a month or so, then she will get better at controlling things. The large foam pieces are great if you can afford them, if they almost break the economy, then don't bother and just do your best to avoid it, that will be good

In our case GranMaw walked with her for about a Month holding her hands until she was steady enough to walk alone and that seemed to help the fallin thingy!

Might get a cat to teach her a thing or two about landin on her feet... LOL

Good luck just get her threw it!

post-26767-060645200 1286861239_thumb.jp

In our case GranMaw walked with her for about a Month holding her hands until she was steady enough to walk alone and that seemed to help the fallin thingy!

It is not too good an idea to have mammals too close to your child.

Especially, when some mammals like to lick on traces of milk on your child's face. It could be mighty dangerous.

Additionally, little tiny foreign 'creatures' feasting on mammals' body and hair might like to infest on your baby as a better and sweeter carrier instead.

Better to have mammal friends when your child is older and is able to fend for oneself and is able to relate what is what to you verbally.

Just my two-cent worth, K?

It is not too good an idea to have mammals too close to your child. Especially, when some mammals like to lick on traces of milk on your child's face. It could be mighty dangerous. Additionally, little tiny foreign 'creatures' feasting on mammals' body and hair might like to infest on your baby as a better and sweeter carrier instead. Better to have mammal friends when your child is older and is able to fend for oneself and is able to relate what is what to you verbally. Just my two-cent worth, K

The Pic was just a cute Pic I seen not a real Pic situation... Jer

Aside from padding the floor, you could also try one of those soft padded helmets they sell for toddlers. I've seen them for sale at Central and the Mall in Bangkok and elsewhere. My 9 month old hates wearing hats, or I'd have one on her until her balance gets better - it's only a month or so until the falls get much less frequent.

Aside from padding the floor, you could also try one of those soft padded helmets they sell for toddlers.

What if a baby gets used to wearing a helmet and having her head protected? Will feel safe falling on her head when you take the helmet off.

Well, in one case I know, the kid made a sport of bumping his head after he got a helmet on so it's not just a meaningless comment at all, there's truth in it. Put a helmet on a kid and he will clearly learn something from it - both good and bad :)