Vegetarian Food Week .

Ta22

vegetarian week is here from 8th to 16th , you should be able to get alot of the nice food all over chiangmai .

i just ate this morning at a raodside steup just at chiangmai land the food is not bad .

try the fry mushroom with seaweed wow taste so good is cheap food for 4 + take away and extra spring roll and some fry fishball only cost 180b .

check it out if you free , will post some photo up when i got time to upload the photo i took .

--

is right ta chiangmai land near the dance school .

if you coming from the super high way after you turn into chiangmai land is on the other end of it meaning you got to drive all the way it should be on your Right

There open from 7 am till 8pm ..

but best time to go is still 9 - 5 pm for good food and not left over

:)

good luck if you do need a map - Pm me i will be happy to draw you one :)

Where are the great veggie stalls popping up during this festival? I went to the weekend market at Kad Suan Kaew thinking they'd have something special -- nope. Made a brief run through Thapae gate and it looks like the usual food fare, nothing special. Haven't noticed many yellow flags in the northwest part of the city...

Where are the great veggie stalls popping up during this festival? I went to the weekend market at Kad Suan Kaew thinking they'd have something special -- nope. Made a brief run through Thapae gate and it looks like the usual food fare, nothing special. Haven't noticed many yellow flags in the northwest part of the city...

Now I may be wrong but, if you live in the area around Kad Suan Kaew, you might consider looking at a large set-up started a couple of days ago to the sound of 400,037 fire crackers. Great big yellow banners. masses of tables and chairs under cover etc. I think this could be one of the stalls.

If you were coming down Huay Kaew Road towards the moat you will notice the TMB Bank ( just before the Amazing Sandwich ). Dont go past the Bank. It stands on the corner of a small road called Saijai Rd. That's where you turn left. At the T-junction turn right. The road then bends to the left and 60 metres down , beside the decrepit shell of an abandoned apartment block you will find what I'm referring to.

Hope it's the right place. Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

If it's not what I am presuming .....I'm touring India !!

Cheers.

Now I may be wrong but, if you live in the area around Kad Suan Kaew, you might consider looking at a large set-up started a couple of days ago to the sound of 400,037 fire crackers. Great big yellow banners. masses of tables and chairs under cover etc. I think this could be one of the stalls.

If you were coming down Huay Kaew Road towards the moat you will notice the TMB Bank ( just before the Amazing Sandwich ). Dont go past the Bank. It stands on the corner of a small road called Saijai Rd. That's where you turn left. At the T-junction turn right. The road then bends to the left and 60 metres down , beside the decrepit shell of an abandoned apartment block you will find what I'm referring to.

Cheers.

I know exactly where you're talking about but have no idea what you're talking about. I'll have to zip by there tomorrow.

Sois between Sirimankalajarn Road and Nimmenheimen have yellow flags out. Should have taken a pic. Will do next time. Even a Korean food place had yellow flags out offering korean jay food. Havent tried yet. Sounds interesting!

:annoyed: Went to Rimping Market to buy some veggie sausage products that we use all

the time and found that evidently in "honor" of the Veggie Festival they had raised the price by 20 baht per package. Would hope that after the 16th they return reduce the price. :rolleyes:

:annoyed: Went to Rimping Market to buy some veggie sausage products that we use all

the time and found that evidently in "honor" of the Veggie Festival they had raised the price by 20 baht per package. Would hope that after the 16th they return reduce the price. :rolleyes:

Huh? To promote vegetarian food, they should have given you a discount! Haha...now you are getting punished for eating vegetarian!

Cheers.

GREAT NEWS ! I'm back from India. Yes, my assumptions were correct. This stall is open daily from 11.00 until 2.00 p.m although someone there was trying to tell me that it was open until 1 p.m. only.

One way or the other, IT'S TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE !!! ( when I was there today ).

Cheers.

Quite frankly I have never had a vegetarian meal that had any taste. It is so bland and without flavour and like eating old newspapers. Dining on lettuce for 3 meals per day is pretty boring. If vegetarian meals could have some flavour then maybe but they are bland and boring. Leave it to the cows to eat.

^ yes, because aII vegetarians eat Iettuce for every meaI..and the bIander the better. BIand Iettuce for breakfast Iunch and dinner..yummy yum yum. :lol:

As you associate Iettuce as a main stay for a vegetarian meaI, im not surprised you find the food bIand. AIthough most of the typicaI thai dishes are practicaIIy the same, just minus the meat. Tom Kha, Green curry, Pad Thai, Pad se-ew...the Iist goes on. But then again, personaIIy i was under the impression its not meat or fish that gives thai food its "kick" and fIavour..but..its aII reaIIy just a matter of opinion ...and "taste".

Suppose its what you Iike to eat too..so if you are a burger and chips, meat and two veg, kinda guy..then yeh..not much you can substitute there..if you were Iooking for something to match that. To be honest, thats the kind of food that conjures up images of a cardboard dinner..not to mention the idea of what it wouId do to my arteries.

Even ItaIian food, you have spinach ricotta raviolis, margherita and vegetabIe pizza, basiI and suego pasta, pesto, cream sauces..Iist goes on.

Mexican food.. Indian food (SO MUCH THERE!).. Iist goes on and on and on..

And, of course, Iest not forget desserts...

But..weII..each to their own!

Quite frankly I have never had a vegetarian meal that had any taste. It is so bland and without flavour and like eating old newspapers. Dining on lettuce for 3 meals per day is pretty boring. If vegetarian meals could have some flavour then maybe but they are bland and boring. Leave it to the cows to eat.

Try the Pun Pun organic vegetarian restaurant on the grounds of Wat Suan Dok off of Th. Suthep. A-maaaaa-zing! You see, the good vegetarian chefs actually come up with flavors that are more complex and delicious to substitute for the lack of meat. Good way to get your vegetables, too, which I seem to have a problem doing in Thailand unless I make a conscious effort.

~

My wife is very into Jain vegetarian and cooks the best Thai food I have ever had in my life, right here in our home!

She is BUSY with cooking/serving at her temple at at the huge setup they have at the Super Hiway Big-C right through this weekend. As you go into the Big-C parking lot, look to your right and you will see the huge pavilion.

As for meats, there are masters at producing meat substitutes that are usually better than the real thing. I eat chicken, fish, pork and pork rinds in these meals and would not trade most of them for the inconsistent quality of the meat servings I get in restaurants or the sidewalk sellers.

Give them a shot! Along most of the major roads in CM, they are easily spotted by the display of the large yellow banner over their shops and the food is nothing less than extraordinary!

Try the Pun Pun organic vegetarian restaurant on the grounds of Wat Suan Dok off of Th. Suthep. A-maaaaa-zing! You see, the good vegetarian chefs actually come up with flavors that are more complex and delicious to substitute for the lack of meat. Good way to get your vegetables, too, which I seem to have a problem doing in Thailand unless I make a conscious effort.

a lot of vegetarian chefs also unfortunately compensate with more salt or sodium rich ingredients. Salt is delicious and helps create more flavor layers but also bad for health reasons.

~

My wife is very into Jain vegetarian and cooks the best Thai food I have ever had in my life, right here in our home!

She is BUSY with cooking/serving at her temple at at the huge setup they have at the Super Hiway Big-C right through this weekend. As you go into the Big-C parking lot, look to your right and you will see the huge pavilion.

As for meats, there are masters at producing meat substitutes that are usually better than the real thing. I eat chicken, fish, pork and pork rinds in these meals and would not trade most of them for the inconsistent quality of the meat servings I get in restaurants or the sidewalk sellers.

Give them a shot! Along most of the major roads in CM, they are easily spotted by the display of the large yellow banner over their shops and the food is nothing less than extraordinary!

Oops.. MY MISTAKE !!

Last month they had a big pavilion in the Big-C parking lot on the SuperHiway and I thought it was the same this week. It is not.

They do have a crew working on the second floor of Big-C, across from the Dairy Queen, but it is not a huge event. Sorry about that..

~

Sorry, nice atmosphere, but the food is nothing to write home about. There are some really good vegetarian restaurants around, but IMHO they tend to not be the famous ones.

Taste from Heaven on Thaphae Rd is one of our favorite places, so I took their cooking school a few months ago, even though we aren't vegeterians. I like the fact that they don't do a "market visit" as part of their cooking school. I've been to Thai markets hundreds of times. I wanted to learn how to cook, not how to shop. Anyway, I was amazed with the different forms of tofu and came away with the recipes and skills to make several new dishes, some of which (I must admit) I "jazz up" with a little pork or chicken.

They don't use MSG in their restaurant and I cut down on the sodium in their recipes when I cook at home.

notthing is free . someone paid for anyone who feel that he would not or can;t .

so if you are going for a free meal , specially from one thta is kind enough to offer it for real , without any agenda or ads or promotion .

it would be just right if you can donate back something or least help washes the dishes you ate .

i had seen people going for free food . with any slightest decent act of a human .

i pity them .

i am not directing this repy to anyone just a view from what i had seen

Edited by Ta22

vegetarian week is here from 8th to 16th , you should be able to get alot of the nice food all over chiangmai .

i just ate this morning at a raodside steup just at chiangmai land the food is not bad .

try the fry mushroom with seaweed wow taste so good is cheap food for 4 + take away and extra spring roll and some fry fishball only cost 180b .

check it out if you free , will post some photo up when i got time to upload the photo i took

Ta22

Since when is fish considered a vegetable? I thought it was flesh just the same as beef, pork, lamb, chicken or kangaroo. How can this possibaly be considered vegetarian food?

Edited by moetownblues

tazz i think the "fish"baII is fake fish..? Im not sure, because i never tried it. I actuaIIy dont Iike meat substitutes because i am not Iooking for a substitute for meat, or Iike the fIavour or texture of meat (or fish).

I agree about your view on fish, but aIso vegetarians have a Iot of different catagories..Iacto ovo, etc.. some eat fish..some even say they eat white meat. I dunno..up to the individuaI i suppose!

tazz i think the "fish"baII is fake fish..? Im not sure, because i never tried it. I actuaIIy dont Iike meat substitutes because i am not Iooking for a substitute for meat, or Iike the fIavour or texture of meat (or fish).

I agree about your view on fish, but aIso vegetarians have a Iot of different catagories..Iacto ovo, etc.. some eat fish..some even say they eat white meat. I dunno..up to the individuaI i suppose!

Yes I love meat. Grab me a cow clean it's feet, wipe it's arese, knock the horns off and throw it on plate. Now that is something you can sink your teeth into. Few vegies on the side and a meal fit for a king.

Is Vegetarain Fish ball .

i just came back from vegtarain meal again .. getting bored .. but a few more days to go .

i just love the fishball

How can you have vegetarian fish ball?

Animal, Mineral, Vegetable.

Vegetarian is vegetable, add meat no longer vegetarian.

Add mineral (salt} no longer true vegetarian.

Is one just eat grass true vegetarian

wahahhaa

thing human do and come up with is endless .

too lazy to explain really :)

you can eat anything and call it anything as you like as long as it make you happy :)

just spearding the special week if anyone is keen in looking for vegetarian food .

i eat it cos it taste good . if you wanna see how food is made . trust me you will jolly well be the grass eater .:)

Yes I love meat. Grab me a cow clean it's feet, wipe it's arese, knock the horns off and throw it on plate. Now that is something you can sink your teeth into. Few vegies on the side and a meal fit for a king.

I'm with you moetown, something has to die for my meal! I'm not a <deleted>' rabbit!

wahahhaa

thing human do and come up with is endless .

too lazy to explain really :)

you can eat anything and call it anything as you like as long as it make you happy :)

just spearding the special week if anyone is keen in looking for vegetarian food .

i eat it cos it taste good . if you wanna see how food is made . trust me you will jolly well be the grass eater .:)

Haha..Iike it Tazz!

Enjoy your week ^_^