Mae Sot Immigration Checkpoint

Following my request for help on Mae sot being available for a visa run, my Thai partner phoned today and was told that Mae Sot was closed as was all Myanmar/Thai immigration checkpoints, I have one week to find an alternative, any suggestions would be helpful, I am in Nakhon Sawan and will contact the local office for advice tomorrow. I hope the above information is of use to others

Haven't heard about Rayong and Mae Sai being closed too and doubt that too be honest.

Word seems to be that Mae Sot may be reopened in November after the elections in Burma.

If your looking for a reasonably quiet crossing then Chong Chom on the Cambodian border isn't too bad.

Edited by apetley

Haven't heard about Rayong and Mae Sai being closed too and doubt that too be honest.

Word seems to be that Mae Sot may be reopened in November after the elections in Burma.

If your looking for a reasonably quiet crossing then Chong Chom on the Cambodian border isn't too bad.

Mai Sai and Rayong have NOT been affected only Mae Sot. I agree about Chong Chom boarder crossing its 12 kilometers south of Kap Choeng on highway 214. Kap Choeng is 60 kilometers south of Surin.

Hi,

I have a tourist visa expiring on sunday..can i extend it at the immigraition office in mae sot??

Immigration officers are never open on Sunday. Mae Sot border is closed so a border run would not be available there either. If you have a 60 day tourist visa entry you wish to extend 30 days do it early as you lose no days.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the elections in Burma early November, it is doubtfull that the border will be opened before the elections.

Burma already has announced that journalists and observers are not welcome. It might wel be that other border crossings with Burma will also close, shortly before the elections.

• 1 month later...

Mae Sot is closed but rumours are gathering around that the checkpoint will be opened "quickly". (Next day to next year)

Just was in Mae Sot on Dec 04 and border crossing is closed with no word when it will reopen.

Thx for the info, lets keep this thread open so everybody knows what's going on up in mae sot

• 11 months later...