Don'T Call Yourself Khun

saraburioz

Almost all the conversations I have with Thai people are in their language - The OP might not like foreigners using the word Khun, but I don't see that as any good reason for me, or anyone else for that matter, to bastardize the language in order to attend to his sensibilities.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets worse when they use 'Mr' plus their first name. "Hello, Mr Bob speaking." Or ask Thais to "Go and talk to Mr John."

At least Khun + first name is vaguely Thai whereas the above is far more tosser-ish. Which isnt surprisign as these are the type of expats who speak to other expats in Tonto English. "I go pub, watch football. You come eat farang food"

It gets worse when they use 'Mr' plus their first name. "Hello, Mr Bob speaking." Or ask Thais to "Go and talk to Mr John."

At least Khun + first name is vaguely Thai whereas the above is far more tosser-ish. Which isnt surprisign as these are the type of expats who speak to other expats in Tonto English. "I go pub, watch football. You come eat farang food"

We tend to do that after a while without thinking. :lol:

"You Tonto, me Lone Ranger" :D

And if we were in the US or UK or Oz, would we think that it was weird if a Thai there called themselves by name? Yes, so you would politely tell them the proper way. But we aren't there, we are in Thailand where the proper way is you use your own name. So do it like the Thais do, because you are in Thailand, and when you are somewhere else, use the proper speech there. Why do some people think that it is ok to come to a foreign land and culture and try to force their own customs on others? If you speak Thai, speak it properly. If you speak English, speak it properly. I am with cm das on this one.

Well, folks to be honest, when I use the word "Koon" folks all laugh and smirk about it.... Like "look at whitey.... make a fool of himself..."

Kind of like an Asian kid rapping, it just dont "feel right"

Almost all the conversations I have with Thai people are in their language - The OP might not like foreigners using the word Khun, but I don't see that as any good reason for me, or anyone else for that matter, to bastardize the language in order to attend to his sensibilities.

I agree with Khun GuestHouse,

Just because most Farang Khuns in Thailand are unable or unwilling to embrace the language of Thai Khuns, thats certainly not the same for all Khuns . Some Khuns make an effort.

Khun Sillyman. smile.gif

Edited by sillyman99

What's ' ajarn ' :blink:

Yet another example of misuse of their actual job description, the great majority are nothing more than khruu.

Darrel from Peckham with his dubious TEFL certificate (and no degree) is a prime example of the sort who refer to themselves as ajarn, whilst masquerading as a teacher in Thailand.

In 17 years I have never heard a Thai refer to themselves as Khun ****, It is a form of address made to a second party where the person is not familiar to the speaker. In cases where the second person is familiar such as a friend etc....the words for brother, sister, aunty or uncle are generally used.

So if by not using the term Khun when referring to ones self is bastardizing the Thai language, there must be a lot of Thai Bastards around.....mmmmmm not going any further with that one!! :blink:

And if we were in the US or UK or Oz, would we think that it was weird if a Thai there called themselves by name? Yes, so you would politely tell them the proper way. But we aren't there, we are in Thailand where the proper way is you use your own name. So do it like the Thais do, because you are in Thailand, and when you are somewhere else, use the proper speech there. Why do some people think that it is ok to come to a foreign land and culture and try to force their own customs on others? If you speak Thai, speak it properly. If you speak English, speak it properly. I am with cm das on this one.

Ok Khun Floridaguy! :D

I hope you keep your voice down as well then while you are over here!

The Japanese end their names with san, so what is wrong with Khun?

Japanese friends call me Lindsay san, Thais call me Khun Lindsay.

Takes a tosser to know a tosser.

Some people just don't want to try very hard to be polite.

Edited by LindsayBKK

It is fine if they call you Khun....the issue here is people calling themselves Khun.

Keep up please ;)

It is fine if they call you Khun....the issue here is people calling themselves Khun.

Keep up please ;)

Where is the GREEN button when you need it? :D

Keep up please ;)

Where is the GREEN button when you need it? :D

dam_n my first greenie....did I do something wrong :(

In the Philippines it is normal to address people by their work or profession.

A lawyer "Mike" for instance is addressed in greeting and introduction as "Attorney Mike".

And he would answer the phone that way too.

All the guys with sawn off shot guns in shop fronts are addressed simply as "guard" with no name added.

Kenny

In that case Im "unempoyable fat git Phil" ps Phil, isnt my name, fer gawdddddddddddsssss sake Im not telling you all my secrets shhhhhhhhhhhhhh:lol:

In 17 years I have never heard a Thai refer to themselves as Khun ****, It is a form of address made to a second party where the person is not familiar to the speaker. In cases where the second person is familiar such as a friend etc....the words for brother, sister, aunty or uncle are generally used.

So if by not using the term Khun when referring to ones self is bastardizing the Thai language, there must be a lot of Thai Bastards around.....mmmmmm not going any further with that one!! :blink:

I've just had a phone call from a Thai guy, he introduced himself as 'Khun ....... calling from ........'

17 years you say?!

so to be polite you use Nong ( for someone older then you ) or Pi ( for some younger then you ) ....

I've just had a phone call from a Thai guy, he introduced himself as 'Khun ....... calling from ........'

17 years you say?!

I have been here a couple of years short of that and can speak Thai well and Thais don't introduce themselves as khun unless theyvare jerks or tossers.

Out of interest are you speaking Thai or English with them?

I speak Thai about half the time with my wife, and all the time with most of the family. When speaking English with my wife and her one cousin who can, I use English pronouns as I would with any other English speaker.

As for whether it's proper to refer to yourself as khun or ajarn, I follow what I see from the Thais I know. When I was teaching at a university, if a Thai teacher wanted to refer to him or herself when speaking with a student, it would either be as "Ajarn" followed by their name, or simply "Ajarn". With a friend or acquaintance outside the univeristy, of course it would be different.

In my opinion, the social implications of Thai forms of address are much more subtle than those of English. What seems awkward or artificial in one situation might be normal in another. I agree that calling my self khun or ajarn with a stranger or a friend would be silly, but in other situations if it's good enough for Thais it's good enough for me, regardless of what another foreigner thinks.

I've found that high school teachers are more likely to call themselves ajarn when talking to a pupil. Most uni ones would say ' phom' and some older ones I know refervtpvthemselves as Khru as that implies teaching them more than just the subject