Photography In Thai Temples (And Thai Monks)

pete66

Are there any general guidelines for what you can (and cannot) photograph in Thai temples? Or would it vary from temple to temple?

Also regarding Thai monks as well, whether you see them in a temple setting or outside the temple on daily almsround, is it ok to photo them? ask permission first?

I just want to "do the right thing", especially as I need to concentrate on trying to take good pictures, not on whether I am doing something to offend monks....

All advice welcome.

Peace

I've taken a lot of photos in Thai temples, and generally speaking no one pays any attention...not to mention that I see most Thai tourists also taking photos in the temples. There are a few exceptions. For example Wat Phra Keow (of course). And recently the temple next to Central World put up signs in and outside their buildings that no photography is allowed.

I try to be subtle inside the bots or wiharn, and typically I don't use flash. And while a monk may happen to be in a photo, I never specifically take a photo of a monk unless I have chatted with him and at the end of our conversation asked his permission.

Some temples clearly display signs prohibiting photos. Photographing of Buddha images is against the law in Thailand I believe.

As far as monks - or anyone else goes - if its in a public place there is no expectation of privacy so you're free to photograph monks collecting alms, or doing anything else in public.

Some temples clearly display signs prohibiting photos. Photographing of Buddha images is against the law in Thailand I believe.

As far as monks - or anyone else goes - if its in a public place there is no expectation of privacy so you're free to photograph monks collecting alms, or doing anything else in public.

Why do you think photographing a Buddha statue is illegal?

====================================

:o

I don't think photographing Buddhist statues is illegal....as long as it's done with proper respect and decorum for what,after all, is regarded as a religious symbol. There was a case some years ago in whch some tourists posed sitting on the head and shoulders of a large Buddha. That was considered improper by many Thais, as sitting on the Buddha head was regarded as being insulting. But simply taking a photo of a Buddha statue should not be considered improper...as long as it is done with proper respect to the religious symbolisim involved. And that probably means not posing your Thai girlfriend sitting in the Buddha's lap wearing shorts or a "provocative" dress. But that is just common sense.

And like someone else said...if in doubt...ask permission first. And avoid flash photography when taking pictures of objects that are old and valuable.

:lol:

=======================================

====================================

:o

I don't think photographing Buddhist statues is illegal....as long as it's done with proper respect and decorum for what,after all, is regarded as a religious symbol. There was a case some years ago in whch some tourists posed sitting on the head and shoulders of a large Buddha. That was considered improper by many Thais, as sitting on the Buddha head was regarded as being insulting. But simply taking a photo of a Buddha statue should not be considered improper...as long as it is done with proper respect to the religious symbolisim involved. And that probably means not posing your Thai girlfriend sitting in the Buddha's lap wearing shorts or a "provocative" dress. But that is just common sense.

And like someone else said...if in doubt...ask permission first. And avoid flash photography when taking pictures of objects that are old and valuable.

:lol:

=======================================

If I had a Thai girlfriend that thought "posing" on a Buddha in any way shape or form was a good idea I would have dumped her before she could clamber her scantily-clad body off the statue. As it happens, it is my Thai gf that introduced me to Buddhism. They aren't all air-heads you know :)

Also, I don't think taking a photo of a Buddha statue and "sitting on a Buddha head" are quite the same thing .... at all .....