Uk Visitor Visa - Previous Visits Taken Into Account?

When applying for a UK Visitor Visa, how much weight, if any, would a previous visit to the UK carry?

Is each application treated on its own merits or would previous problem free visits to the UK be considered.

I guess what I am also asking is it easier to get a visa the second time round?

Would be interesting to here people's experiences of this.

Each application is judged on it's own merits.

However, previous travel to the UK, or any western country, and compliance with previous visa conditions do demonstrate that the applicant can be, for want of a better expression, trusted.

Not relevant to your girlfriend, I know, but the opposite of this, of course, is that if the applicant has previously breached the conditions of a visa then this shows that they may be untrustworthy!

Unless Visa regulations have changed since the last visit, and given the same circumstances (i.e. same financial status, reason to return, job, property etc) I can only assume the visa would be processed more easily.

I guess that is why with each application the length visa is extended. i.e. First two visa's are 6 months each, second visa is 2 years (3rd Visa 5 years ?)....

I covered this very point off in the sponsor letter by stating that the missus has complied with her previous UK & Schengen visas with no reliance on public funds & we would not risk jeopardising any future visa applications

BTW her 2nd tourist visa was successful

Good luck...

Edited by phomthai

I guess that is why with each application the length visa is extended. i.e. First two visa's are 6 months each, second visa is 2 years (3rd Visa 5 years ?)....

The standard visit visa is for 6 months and that is what the applicant will be given unless they ask for a longer term; regardless of whether it is their first application or their hundred and first. Also, longer term visit visas cost more than the standard 6 month one.

My wife got the standard 6-month UK visit visa last year after 10 days processing and managed one visit to the UK. We applied and paid for a 1 year visa this time and they gave her a 2-year UK visit visa with 7 days processing.

I do agree that each application is approved on it's own merits and any supporting paperwork and letters MUST be current and relevant to the CURRENT application. Having said that, having "been there done that" previously and in compliance must stand for something.

Edited by NanLaew

As long as someone leaves the UK when or before their visa expires then they have not overstayed.

However, staying longer than stated on the original application may raise credibility issues when/if one next applies unless one provides a reasonable explanation for doing so.

For example; if one states that they intend to stay for 6 weeks and provides an employer's letter saying that they have to be back at work at the end of that time but then stays for 6 months, the ECO may find it difficult to believe a letter from the same employer saying the same thing when they next apply!