Highest Quality Foreign Foods In Chiang Mai

Ulysses G.

Foreign restaurants in Chiang Mai keep getting better and better, but still, most dishes are not nearly as good as the same things back in the old country. What are some of your favorites that are as good as something decent back home?

IMHO:

The Duke's pizza, corn bread and apple pie

Butter is Better's ice cream, cheese danish, croissants - almost any of their baked goods

Pun Pun baked beans and weenies and the pisang goreng desert

Marco's ice cream and raw tuna with olive oil

Miguel's chicken burritos with guacamole and sour cream

The French pastries at W for Wanlamon

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree standards are slowly rising but what food you desire most often reflects on where you are from. You refer to the 'old country' and looking at the list I presume you mean the U.S ? The only listed foods I recognise from my 'old country' are Ice Cream, Apple Pie and Croissants....and even the latter are French.

I would love to see somebody do a really good Steak&Kidney Pie and three veg' followed by steamed Rolly-Polly and Custard. The dream list could go on all day but the chances of most of it becoming a reality in Chiang Mai are slim.

As the TITLE of your post happily does not restrict suggestions to restaurants and "home" could be anywhere, my offerings are :

Hideway's English scones

Sausage King's sausages,pies and Ready Meals

Marco's Coq au Vin

Starbucks Mango Cheescake ( sorry)

Kassem's Carrot Cake

Joe's Bakery German Rye Bread

NZ Mainland Vintage Cheddar

Ligo's Orange Marmalade

Streamline's Jam (with 50% fruit and less sugar)

Edited by Asmerom

I don't know I don't think the western world can still be the mother example.   I tasted wienerschnitzel in some of the oldest establishment in Vienna and it's not really better than some of what I have in Thailand.  Most supermarket in Austria and Switzerland do carry less variety stuff than Rim Ping!   Most things people eat are salty and greasy.  The same can't be said about France and Italy.  

I agree to many of the items including

The Duke's pizza and burgers

Punpun's bake beans

Kassem's Carrot Cake

How ever..

"Joe's Bakery German Rye Bread"  should be made of sourdough!  I'm sorry to say this but I expect more!  I make sourdough at home so I like to eat real sourdough rye.   

that why i brew my own vinegar and now is learning to farm my own honey and soon if fruit come out of the farm i will try to make some jams :)

. what i miss most is kinda weird . i really like " LONG JOHN SILVER "

ever since i am a kids i had been a fish person . how about those good fish and chip with finger thick fries , or bake potatoes skin with sour cream .

clam shell soup with bacon . baby sheep rib . . tuna with lime and herb over a touch of salt .

there go my diet again

i do not really like bake bean cos it make me FART alot .

but i do enjoy farting sometime :) make me feel like a chilli chilli bam bam

that why i brew my own vinegar and now is learning to farm my own honey and soon if fruit come out of the farm i will try to make some jams :)

. what i miss most is kinda weird . i really like " LONG JOHN SILVER "

ever since i am a kids i had been a fish person . how about those good fish and chip with finger thick fries , or bake potatoes skin with sour cream .

clam shell soup with bacon . baby sheep rib . . tuna with lime and herb over a touch of salt .

there go my diet again

i do not really like bake bean cos it make me FART alot .

but i do enjoy farting sometime :) make me feel like a chilli chilli bam bam

TA22, the above is why I always like reading your posts and trying to figure them out.

I take exception to your objection to Baked Beans. Yes perhaps they do make you [ f-a-r-t ] but don't you know there is a gas/fuel shortage and here you are letting them go with the wind , as opposed to recycling into some positive use. Capture & recycle, thats the green thing to do.

There is also the word flatulence which I feel is a misnaming. The expelling of gas never seemed ' flat ' to me and I think that it should be call roundulence.

Now I am sure that no one other than TA22 will know anything of what I speak, so in this vein I say, "speak to me only with thine eyes ..... and forget the further thoughts.

yours truly

Gonzo

I agree to many of the items including

The Duke's pizza and burgers

Punpun's bake beans

Kassem's Carrot Cake

How ever..

There are hundreds of cheeses available in CM but If you happen to know of a strong tasty cheese better than this, I'd like to know of it. Please don't mention Dacheeso

How disappointing that so few are taking the bait so thoughtfully offered by UG to share their hard won gastronomic discoveries.

It takes newcomers months, years even , to locate really good quality items. And such a wide ranging variety to explore.

Far more useful than drooling over fish and chips.

i first ate subway sandwich in singapore some 10 years ago i think lost count really , and really like it . but then it was very expensive in singapore . did not see any when i was in japan and taiwan . , not even in china . when i was staying bangkok for about 2 years . one fine days when i was riding i saw a subway sandwich outlet -

THERE IT WAS the GOLDEN NUMBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 69 BAHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can;t help it . to be a regular customer .

gain about 5 kg in 2 month :)

whahhahahahahhaha

thinking of it .. i was tellin gmy wife tonight we go eat cold japanese Soba . hm... i might just change my plan and go for a subway daily special with a large cup of sugar tonic waste

The Kaeng Hanglay at Huean Jaiyong.

Thailand is old enough as a country. Older than the USA anyway.

Yes, but, in general, Thai food is better here than anywhere else. That is why I did not include it, but I do not mind. The real point of the thread is to have people point out some of the really special dishes around town, so we can all try them. Khun Asmerom seems to get it.

Who has really excellent bangers and mash? Who has the best pickled herring? ...And so on... :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

there is someone who brew honey vinegar in chiangmai , i do not know where and who do it , but i got a bottle as a gift and it said chiangmai . on the fine print .

you must try it is very very good and tatse very nice , very addictive also .

if there is one food you must try . i would say , you should stay up till 11 pm or about 11:30pm ..

get down to kampendin road . there is a fried chicken store that sell sticky rice and fried chicken .

get ready to expect a long Q . till about 2 am .

IMO nearly all the baked deserts (brownies, cookies, cakes, pies, etc) at Angels Secrets at the corner of Mun Mueang Soi 5 & Ratchadamnoen Soi 1 fit that description.

I tried Angel's Secrets, because it was lunchtime and not far away. The fried brown rice with vegetables was excellent, but they were mostly out of baked goods. The "snickers' brownie that I did try was nice, but not extraordinary - A pleasant little place. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

~

How delightful it would be to find a thread that follows the OP's intent without all the ridiculous comments!

That is all too rare, howerever - so rare that I have never seen it happen. Has a thought ever been given to

the original poster having the right to moderate their own thread?

Since I rarely go to town except when necessary, most of my experimenting is very efficiently delivered by Meals on Wheels.

Bake and Bite's Turkey sandwich w/mayo and cranberry sauce is to DIE for and their warm potato salad is a favorite as well.

Miguel's Chicken Taco Salad is excellent, as is their coleslaw, but consistency is a very real problem.

The salad varies from a meal to a shell full of shredded lettuce and not much more than a chicken/bean paste at the bottom

and their coleslaw goes from a nice amount of goodness to a tiny 3-tablespoon plastic container with a false bottom.

Subway is okay once in a while (I know, I know, less than gourmet) but, again, consistency is a BIG problem.

I have yet to find a burger in CM better than the old BK Cheese Whopper but they don't deal with Meals/Wheels and I rarely want one anyway..

Thanks for this thread but farts and foolishness are already making it boring indeed to read...

~

~

How delightful it would be to find a thread that follows the OP's intent without all the ridiculous comments!

That is all too rare, howerever - so rare that I have never seen it happen. Has a thought ever been given to

the original poster having the right to moderate their own thread?

Since I rarely go to town except when necessary, most of my experimenting is very efficiently delivered by Meals on Wheels.

Bake and Bite's Turkey sandwich w/mayo and cranberry sauce is to DIE for and their warm potato salad is a favorite as well.

Miguel's Chicken Taco Salad is excellent, as is their coleslaw, but consistency is a very real problem.

The salad varies from a meal to a shell full of shredded lettuce and not much more than a chicken/bean paste at the bottom

and their coleslaw goes from a nice amount of goodness to a tiny 3-tablespoon plastic container with a false bottom.

Subway is okay once in a while (I know, I know, less than gourmet) but, again, consistency is a BIG problem.

I have yet to find a burger in CM better than the old BK Cheese Whopper but they don't deal with Meals/Wheels and I rarely want one anyway..

Thanks for this thread but farts and foolishness are already making it boring indeed to read...

~

your list of foods /places seems off based but taste is so very subjective! I have eaten those exact items you mentioned and for me they are a pass when i eat at those places.

But again some i know well people like oily pizza they just enjoy greasy texture in their mouths while some people don't and so on...so take all this with a grain of salt !

maybe folly and foolishness is needed here some!!

Edited by yesterday

As the TITLE of your post happily does not restrict suggestions to restaurants and "home" could be anywhere, my offerings are :

Hideway's English scones

Sausage King's sausages,pies and Ready Meals

Marco's Coq au Vin

Starbucks Mango Cheescake ( sorry)

Kassem's Carrot Cake

Joe's Bakery German Rye Bread

Ligo's Orange Marmalade

Streamline's Jam (with 50% fruit and less sugar)

I have called Ms. Wilai Udomphol 'Mom' (Kasem Store) for more than 25 years, but I would never suggest that her Carrot Cake can compare with anything back 'home' in San Francisco.

But, I offer up Charin Resort's Pies, which I would say compare very favoribly with the pies at 'home' :)

I very much agree with you on that turkey sandwich. Also, Bake and Bite's holiday turkey dinners are always great and one of the best deals in town. Thanks to you, I will have to go check out that potato salad. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ulysses G.

To tell you the truth Most of the British fayre in Chiang Mai is pretty poor, we had two good Brit restaurants close in recent years the Laughing leprechaun and the Elizabethan. I'm going to give the sausage kings products a go at some point, the pictures on his web site look pretty good.

That's not to say there are no good western restaurants in Chiang Mai I rate the Art Cafe's Eggs Benedict/Florentine, The Dukes and Salsa Kitchen for there ribs and pretty much anything on their mexican menu, don't really rate the caribbean stuff. Miguels Huevos rancheros is good ditto most of their menu.

Gianni de Burchio is my choice for Italian everything I have tasted here has been excellent.

Butter is better impressed me with their quality but I've only eaten there the once.

Pun pun I still haven't been to but is top of my list for eateries to visit :)

But, I offer up Charin Resort's Pies, which I would say compare very favoribly with the pies at 'home' :)

Some of the places mentioned are unknown to me. I will heartily agree with the recommendation of Charin Resort's pies and other baked goods. They're located on Highway 118, 2/3 of the way to Chiang Rai (km marker #142 if I remember right).

Please mention the location of other "must try" eateries. And, as an additional help, if you're recommending packaged, brand-name foods found on the shelves at Kasem, Rim Ping or Tops, (I think that has been the case, but I'm not sure) please indicate too that it's a brand, rather than the name of a restaurant. Thanks.