To Buy Or Not To Buy

a2396

I live live in a large Issan city suburb and have access to transportaqtion via songtow and tuk-tuk. Owning a car would be an added convenience, but not really necessary for me. Wifey has motorcycle. "Family" would love for me to buy a car, mostly for thier use and convernience. Any opinions as to the insurance laibility issues if Thai gets in an accident with a farang owned vehicle?? In most of these parts, iI would assume if anything happens, it is the foreigners fault. Does car insurance cost more for a farang vs. Thai. In Malaysia things like this cost more for foreigners. Thanks.

Buy a cheap car. I live in Isaan and may be selling my a car for 100,000 baht.

It has done me well for a year with nothing seriously going wrong.

Pick-up an old pick-up for the same price.

Insurance is the same for Thais and farang.

I would't worry about you owning the car, if they are driving and you are not there.

If they have an accident, they would of course pay for the damage, wouldn't they?

If not, don't let them drive it. Make sure that they realise this, get something in writing if you don't trust them. Don't be taken advantage of.

Daleyboy has a good point, but the luxury of having own car in Thailand IS very tempting - my own little aircon breating space with my own music...ah.... I am still fighting the urge myself! :o Cheers!

Edited by Firefan