Rascial Slurs

Zarkow

Over the latest couple of weeks the times racial slurs have appeared in posts have increased, no-thanks to the terrorist-attack in London.

However, how much racial slur is allowed on this forum? The 'line' seems to very much shift depending on wich racial group that is attacked. Infact, as long as it's defined to 'some' groups, the posters seems to be allowed to pretty much say anything about them.

Since no mods seems to care, I ask:

What is the admins reflection on this?

Unfortunately it is a sad fact of a public forum that you will see racial slurs appearing, i reccomend if you see something objectionable that you use the report button under the particular comment, this will then be sent to all the mods and if it is percieved to be objectionable then it will be removed and the person warned :o

... if you see something objectionable that you use the report button under the particular comment, this will then be sent to all the mods and if it is percieved to be objectionable then it will be removed and the person warned :D

Spot on daleyboy... :o

The mods are busy checking all posts, but sometimes a few slip through unnoticed.

And often, the members themselves will respond to an offensive post and gather together against the OP... a bit of self-moderation if you like... :D

If you as a member read something particularly offensive, simply report it.

Over the latest couple of weeks the times racial slurs have appeared in posts have increased, no-thanks to the terrorist-attack in London.

However, how much racial slur is allowed on this forum? The 'line' seems to very much shift depending on wich racial group that is attacked. Infact, as long as it's defined to 'some' groups, the posters seems to be allowed to pretty much say anything about them.

I guess that I don't see all comments, but anyone sane can see that the murderous attacks by Muslim extremists are unforgivable. Do you expect that every westerner is likely to turn the other cheek ... over and over ?

daleyboy>> You are correct that this is a way to object to posts and that has been used.

However, since nothing is seemingly done about the posters themselfs, I thought it would be best to get a clarification from the admins about the rules.

It would be unfortuanet if one should keep reporting posts that are fully allowed by the administration. And at the same time, it's always good to know where the limit is when countering this kind of behaivor.

Edited by Zarkow

I guess that I don't see all comments, but anyone sane can see that the murderous attacks by Muslim extremists are unforgivable. Do you expect that every westerner is likely to turn the other cheek  ...  over and over ?

Since english isn't my native tounge, perhaps you can clarify your post.

Is that a Yes or a No, to racial slurs being allowed if it's against 'some special' groups?

You have a valid point, answer? show em up for what they are. That is what I will do from now on.

".....However, how much racial slur is allowed on this forum? The 'line' seems to very much shift depending on wich racial group that is attacked. Infact, as long as it's defined to 'some' groups, the posters seems to be allowed to pretty much say anything about them....."

Difficult job for any individual to define an agreeable fixed 'line' on this subjective issue. The fact that each case is discussed in the moderator's forum should help to provide consensus and result in a balanced response, allowing for action to be taken against those that have evidently gone too far.

In my book this is the best way to go, as long as all such decisions review the posts in context and with consideration to the spirit of the discussion - the last thing we want is for TV to go too PC and to outlaw all the good natured banter and entertaining verbal jousting currently found here...... :o

Rags

If people want to be pr1cks and say such things, just walk away and teach your kids better. That's the only way you're gonna change anything.

Besides, it's wrong to try to control what people say, or think. Just shout them down in the forums, make 'em feel like the heel they are. That is if you can't walk away.

If people want to be pr1cks and say such things, just walk away and teach your kids better. That's the only way you're gonna change anything.

Well, it just doesn't work like that...if we walk away, who is left to post? Un-opposed.

While I agree that freedom of speach is a wonderfull thing, there is a fine line of having for example the freedom to have your own oppinion, and voicing it so others take offence.

Freedom of speach doesn't mean "freedom to be an ###### on others expence".

Case in point: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...82entry420882 - se post 38 by Mr Nam Kao.

Well, it just doesn't work like that...if we walk away, who is left to post? Un-opposed.

While I agree that freedom of speach is a wonderfull thing, there is a fine line of having for example the freedom to have your own oppinion, and voicing it so others take offence.

Freedom of speach doesn't mean "freedom to be an ###### on others expence".

Case in point: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...82entry420882 - se post 38 by Mr Nam Kao.

I have to disagree with you. If those who wish to end racial divides in America want to state their case, the only honorable thing to do is allow the other side to have their say. That's why the KKK can march down the street with police protection. In the past they (KKK) tried to stop people from speaking out against them and the racist rules they upheld. To try to take away their freedom of speech makes you no better than they are.

I don't think the the meaning of freedom of speech changes for locations either.

If you can speak your mind, so can they. To do other wise is worng. Publicly shame them. If the people won't listen a greater victory is won than if the people never heard them.

I never questioned the work of the mods, I request clarification from the admins regarding the rules. As a reference for the future.

Only one admin has said anything, and his reply was cryptic to say the least.

(I also read it as "slurs against muslims are ok since ther exists [some] terrorists of that faith". And that attitude opens up a whole other can of worm. Hence I asked for clarification of his post.)

...It would be unfortuanet if one should keep reporting posts that are fully allowed by the administration. And at the same time, it's always good to know where the limit is when countering this kind of behaivor.

The last reported post to me regarding racist slurs was in April.

I urge all members to use the "Report" button more freely.

...Only one admin has said anything...

This is an international forum. People post at all hours of the day from many countries. A lot of mods - not all - live in Thailand. I've just logged on and am catching up with 50+ emails and a couple of reports. Give us a chance!

Edited by RDN

I guess that I don't see all comments, but anyone sane can see that the murderous attacks by Muslim extremists are unforgivable. Do you expect that every westerner is likely to turn the other cheek ... over and over ?

Right on, Doc!

How about the racial slur we as 'non-believers' must endure every day being labled an 'infidel'?

Have any of the 'Latte Liberals' thought about that one? :o

I think generally speaking one cant be surprised when particular terms are used when ie bombings occur. Those are directed at those responsible not at a particular ethnic group IMHO. However that being said I think its time all people practicing the Muslim faithe stand up and denounce/run them out of town - these hate mongering clerics that are 100% responsible for all this shi*e. Silence=support :o

Edited by britmaveric

No such thing as freedom of speech on the internet, especially not on a privately owned and operated forum such as this.

Zarkow you would surely be the first to complain if one of your posts was ever deleted - but if you encourage moderators (or demand even!) to delete posts you personally dont approve of, it is only a matter of time before someone doesnt approve of your own.

This isn't the place for a political debate.

Identifying people by race is unavoidable on a board that deals so much with discussion of different cultures. We do our best to seperate what may be a complaint or frustration about charachteristics of any certain race, like for instatce Thai women's "up to you" answers to questions, or Thai men's inability to stay at the scene of an accident which are common frustrations in Thailand, from erroneous and spiteful statements like "Thais generally dishonest, or Thais are lazy and uneducated.

It's unfortunate that the word muslim and the word terrorist have become synonimous, but the fact is that almost every terror attack in recent times have been by muslim extremists. People see this and get angry. They hear the lack of uproar against it in the muslim community and the begin to worry that the problem runs deep and worry that it will only get worse. In such an atmosphere of fear it's not surprising that fear brings out the odd heated comment from people who otherwise are models of tolerence.

That being said, we will not tolerate racism here, nor unwarranted attacks against any ethnic group. Where the line between expressing frustration and/or disagreement with the charictaristics or practices of a certain group, and unwarranted attacks lay depends partly on which mod or admin is making the call, we do however each do our best to be fair with it.

cv