Dog From Samui To Koh Tao

I want to take my dog across from Koh Samui to spend a couple of weeks on Koh Tao. I have asked at the ticket office fo Seatran and Lomprayah and in both cases been told that they do not allow a dog on the ferry. The dog is small, well behaved and I am happy to buy him a ticket but the sales staff are not willing to discuss options.

Has anyone taken a dog between the islands ? Any idea how I can get him across (and back !) ?

futsukayoi do you live on Koh Samui with your dog? Are there any decent vets around? Can you get your dog to the mainland with a ferry?

I have a dog and 2 cats and I want to move over to Koh Samui but fear running into problems. Would you happen to know of condominiums that allow pets?

Edited by Paul36

futsukayoi do you live on Koh Samui with your dog? Are there any decent vets around? Can you get your dog to the mainland with a ferry?

I have a dog and 2 cats and I want to move over to Koh Samui but fear running into problems. Would you happen to know of condominiums that allow pets?

I think I have just answered your first question already in my post.

To answer your second, I have used two vets on the island who have treated my dogs well for all normal (not serious) ailments.

Don't know their skills in the case of your pets needing major surgery though.

You said it is a small dog, if small to the point that you can carry on in a petbox or similar no problem with seatran.

We travel quite often with the dog in a open bag she weighs about 6 kilos.

forget Lomphrya they will not entertain the idea at all.

Used to be no issue at all however, there are more and more people that own large breed dogs on the islands and the staff are scared of them.

<BR><BR>Thanks a lot for the quick replies. Sounds like the boy will be able to get his holiday.<BR><BR>We have mainly used the Vet opposite the Chawaeng post ofice on the ring road and find them excellent. Have also used the one opposite Big C one time and again they were very good. A couple of friends use the vet between the market and Big Buddha and find them very good. <BR><BR>Have not had problems here with houses or condos not allowing pets. The island generally is petty dog fiendly and most restaurants or shops also allow us to take the dog if they do not have some already. The main issue is avoiding problems with the strays some of which can be very territorial. Just need extra care walking or taking you dog anywhere.

<BR><BR>Thanks a lot for the quick replies. Sounds like the boy will be able to get his holiday.<BR><BR>We have mainly used the Vet opposite the Chawaeng post ofice on the ring road and find them excellent. Have also used the one opposite Big C one time and again they were very good. A couple of friends use the vet between the market and Big Buddha and find them very good. <BR><BR>Have not had problems here with houses or condos not allowing pets. The island generally is petty dog fiendly and most restaurants or shops also allow us to take the dog if they do not have some already. The main issue is avoiding problems with the strays some of which can be very territorial. Just need extra care walking or taking you dog anywhere.

The vets opposite Chaweng Post Office and the one in Bangrak are the ones I have used too. As I said, certainly ok for not serious ailments, vaccinations etc.

Sorry, but I don't agree about taking the dogs into restaurants. The locals may be ok about it but it is not accepted in the west and it is not hygenic and you may cause problems if there are other fahrangs eating there.

I know you could come back at me and say they have their own cats and dogs wandering around the restaurants in some cases but that does not make it right for us to do the same.

Great, are there any decent pet hotels on the island when I need to be elsewhere a couple of days?

The dog Father Pet Resort

The "Dog Father is good" Alternatively you might want to consider "Creature Comforts", they will come to your

property and look after your dog(s)in situ.

I am led to believe that this is a daily visiting service, or am I wrong?

Great, are there any decent pet hotels on the island when I need to be elsewhere a couple of days?

The "Dog Father is good" Alternatively you might want to consider "Creature Comforts", they will come to your

property and look after your dog(s)in situ.

I am led to believe that this is a daily visiting service, or am I wrong?

Last time I checked with them they would come to visit your pet once or more times a day but did not offer a service to stay and look after the pet at home.

Trust me it's good, that's when I get sent, to the dog house.Air conditioned kennel available.

LOL well said. The Dogfather is definitely good, and he really has some air-conditioned kennels.

There are at least a dozen vets scattered around the ring road. Maybe more. Then there are others down the side sois. Some of them also look after dogs when their owners go away.

Samui is a very dog/cat friendly place.

But as others have said - come and check it out first.

The island generally is petty dog fiendly and most restaurants or shops also allow us to take the dog if they do not have some already. The main issue is avoiding problems with the strays some of which can be very territorial. Just need extra care walking or taking you dog anywhere.

If a dog is a stray then it is hardly likely to be territorial as it will not have a home. To look at these flea bitten, undernourished dogs you would think they were strays but most of them, whether running on the beach or road, belong to one of the hotels or restaurants and are just allowed to run as they please. The owners actually seem to enjoy seeing their dogs causing a nuisance to others.

HL :D

Agree with previous posters, Samui vet clinics are good for simple stuff like neutering, regular care or treating common diseases. From personal experience, for a more serious problem (broken leg, dislocated bone, other major injury or strange infection) you have to take your pet to the mainland. And you better make yourself familiar well in advance where to travel with your pet for emergency.

The island generally is petty dog fiendly and most restaurants or shops also allow us to take the dog if they do not have some already. The main issue is avoiding problems with the strays some of which can be very territorial. Just need extra care walking or taking you dog anywhere.

If a dog is a stray then it is hardly likely to be territorial as it will not have a home. To look at these flea bitten, undernourished dogs you would think they were strays but most of them, whether running on the beach or road, belong to one of the hotels or restaurants and are just allowed to run as they please. The owners actually seem to enjoy seeing their dogs causing a nuisance to others.

Firstly - stray dogs are territorial. They find an area where they are either alpha or the only dog. The local Thais, being Buddhist, then feed it. In many cases on Samui - the dog adopts the bar/resort/restaurant, not the other way around. :ermm:

There are many places that I have been to - sans dogs. Later, a stray will move in and then suddenly - the place 'owns' a dog. Most people find it hard to kick them out. Human nature v man's best friend. :mellow:

Most people with dogs, that I know personally, were adopted by their dog. "It just turned up one day and I felt sorry for it...." B) This includes restaurants etc. They will feed the dog and let it live there, but they are not always knowledgeable (or rich) enough to take it to the vet to get any problems fixed.

Many Thais would approach me with my dog and say " Can I have your dog?" Once I told them how much he ate every day (a 40 + kilogram dog) , and the cost of the regular injections and visits to the vet, they always answered "Better he stay with you."

You are spot on about the "The owners actually seem to enjoy seeing their dogs causing a nuisance to others." It seems to be a local pastime. Not only the owners, but the people 'in the know'. There is a dog near where I live that chases motorbikes. ALL of the locals fall about laughing when a stranger drives by. :lol:

• Firstly - stray dogs are territorial. They find an area where they are either alpha or the only dog. The local Thais, being Buddhist, then feed it. In many cases on Samui - the dog adopts the bar/resort/restaurant, not the other way around. :ermm:
    There are many places that I have been to - sans dogs. Later, a stray will move in and then suddenly - the place 'owns' a dog. Most people find it hard to kick them out. Human nature v man's best friend. :mellow:
    Most people with dogs, that I know personally, were adopted by their dog. "It just turned up one day and I felt sorry for it...." B) This includes restaurants etc. They will feed the dog and let it live there, but they are not always knowledgeable (or rich) enough to take it to the vet to get any problems fixed.

Well the way I see it, it doesnt matter if the dog adopts the restaurant or the other way round....that dog is no longer a stray.

The word stray means an animal lost and wandering far from home. (dictionary)

Anyway mate we are only nit-picking and I'm sure we agree that they are a bloody nuisance to all. lol

i have taken my girl friend. does that count. they charged me less though because she is a thai dog. only joking.

seriously u should put it to sleep and stick it in your bag. if u get caught pay the fine. its up to u.

there again there are many ferries. try different ferries also it might help if u have a fog carry box. or if u feel like they are prediduce because u r a forang ask a thai to try to carry it on though try not to let them see. that would be interesting