Check Cashing

Hi,

The same situation happened to me. I have an account with Bangkok Bank and I received a check from abroad in foreign currency that my branch refused to accept. I was sent to the main branch on Silom, second floor. I deposit the check there and filled up a form to explain the origin of the money (I guess that if you say "income" that might get some special attention).

About 3 weeks later the money was in my Bangkok Bank account.

I`ve heard also of some banks offering accounts in different currencies, however I doubt it will speed up the clearing time.

I hope this helps...

I have a Bangkok Bank Savings account and have never had any trouble depositing a foreign check in my account, let it be a personal check or a bank draft. Time to clears is 21 to 30 days. US Government checks are instant accredited to my account.

I have a Bangkok Bank Savings account and have never had any trouble depositing a foreign check in my account, let it be a personal check or a bank draft. Time to clears is 21 to 30 days. US Government checks are instant accredited to my account.

So, if I have a savings account (thai baht) and have an international check in USD, then I can go to my Thai bank and cash the check? Just treat it as a deposit?

No... not quite....

First, usually, there's going to be a couple weeks delay before the Thai bank will credit the funds from any outside Thailand check to your Thai account.

And second, they're going to charge you a per check handling fee for the privilege of them handling your check... Last time I checked with Siam Commercial on this subject, their per check fee was more than 200 baht and they had a $50 U.S. minimum amount per check....

Lately, a number of U.S. banks and credit unions have begun offering electronic remote depositing... wherein you send a scanned image of the check to the U.S. bank using their web site or some other application like taking a photo with a mobile phone and special mobile application.

If the need to deposit foreign checks is a recurring one, checking out getting access to that kind of account would make some sense... For the U.S. banks now offering that, the service is free.. no handling fee involved.

• 10 months later...

@jfchandler

pls let us know the names of banks you know who offer this "electronic remote depositing".

today i did ask @ Kasikorn, siam commercial and bangkok bank to cash out a US cheque. they all need about 45 days for fund.

Two U.S. banks are USAA Bank and State Farm Bank; I have accounts at both banks. Never used the feature at the State Farm Bank but I expect it works very similarly and as easy as the USAA feature called "Deposit at Home". I use the feature 6-10 times year as the wife and I get medical reimbursements in U.S. dollar checks from my U.S. medical insurance company. Basically, I endorse the back of check, hook my scanner to my laptop, logon onto my USAA bank account, click the USAA Deposit at Home link/module, the module walks you through scanning the back and front of the check, hit Submit, and the check clears/posts immediately to your checking/savings account. The module then tells you to write VOID on the check as it has been posted to your accounted. And the image of the check is stored online right next to the posted amount.

I don't know of any Thai banks that offer this feature as the banks and Thai people don't use many checks plus ID/passport is required for deposit.

So, if I have a savings account (thai baht) and have an international check in USD, then I can go to my Thai bank and cash the check? Just treat it as a deposit?

Yes, except there will be a fee and clearing period (usually 3-6 weeks) before the funds post to your account. Except govt checks will usually be posted immediately to your account....I guess the bank has no concern that the govt check will bounce. When you look at a Thai deposit slip, you will notice they have an area where you list checks separately if depositing....or at least the Bangkok Bank deposit slip has that separate area.

can enyone recomend a bank in USA, Singarope or Hong Kong who offer saving accounts to thai residents with "Deposit at Home" service and ATM card without to leave Thailand?

most american banks require social security nr from US.

can enyone recomend a bank in USA, Singarope or Hong Kong who offer saving accounts to thai residents with "Deposit at Home" service and ATM card without to leave Thailand?

most american banks require social security nr from US.

Probably going to be hard to find such a U.S. bank since being a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Resident Alien (i.e., having a green card), or having a long term visa (like going to college in the U.S., etc) is a requirement as far as I know to get a U.S. bank account. But I see some sites saying they can get you such as account, but don't know the approach they are using to get such an account....they are probably using some offshore U.S. bank/company. Then again, no shortage of illegal aliens in the U.S. having a U.S. bank account according to news reports...I don't know what forged papers they showed the bank....not to imply anything.

Edited by Pib