Visa Run From Phetchabun

nam-thip

I have a 1-year non immigrant O visa that is due to be stamped on the 25th November.

At the moment the misses is up jungle in her home town of Phetchabun helping mama plan and build a small house and the way its progressing shes likely to be there for some time.

My question is as follows.

I have many options (Philipines for one)but if I head up to Phetchabun around that time where is the nearest border to complete my visa stamp.

What sort of distance is it from Phetchabun by car and will it involve an overnight stop.

Money is not an issue and I dont mind doing a bit of exploring with a few overnight stops thrown in as the misses is not well travelled so it will do her a bit of good to get away for a few days.

Edited by nam-thip

The nearest border is THA LI About 2.5/3 hour's north on the 203 look out for the sign on the left friendship bridge, just after PHU RUEA. that if it's just a re/stamp. (Another 90 day's.) If it's the end of you visa you can go one week before it end's and you will still get your 90 day's. Cost 1,400 bt wife can go over for 10bt no need for her to have a passport her Thai ID is ok. Nice run through the mountain's. If you would like to stay in THA LI nice resort. New, GREAT room's about 600bt a night. Sorry dont know the exact name, Sound's like Poo ta won that's what my wife say's, but the phone no: is 0868561612 get a Thai to book as they dont speak English about 15 min's: from bridge. If you stay ask the lady about O's restuarant just down the road a bit odd but fab food. Hope this help's.

The nearest border is THA LI About 2.5/3 hour's north on the 203 look out for the sign on the left friendship bridge, just after PHU RUEA. that if it's just a re/stamp. (Another 90 day's.) If it's the end of you visa you can go one week before it end's and you will still get your 90 day's. Cost 1,400 bt wife can go over for 10bt no need for her to have a passport her Thai ID is ok. Nice run through the mountain's. If you would like to stay in THA LI nice resort. New, GREAT room's about 600bt a night. Sorry dont know the exact name, Sound's like Poo ta won that's what my wife say's, but the phone no: is 0868561612 get a Thai to book as they dont speak English about 15 min's: from bridge. If you stay ask the lady about O's restuarant just down the road a bit odd but fab food. Hope this help's.

Thanks for that information i'll mull over the map and mark out a route based on your info.

A stop over in the resort sounds like a good idea.

It's the first 90 day stamp in a 1-year non 'O' visa

What's the procedure on organising a visa for crossing over.

Edited by nam-thip

Thanks for that information i'll mull over the map and mark out a route based on your info.

A stop over in the resort sounds like a good idea.

It's the first 90 day stamp in a 1-year non 'O' visa

What's the procedure on organising a visa for crossing over.

Just drive to the bridge/border. Park car go to the Thai visa window and they will stamp you and the good lady out. Then get onto a tuk tuk pay the man 10bt and he will take you across.

Then to the Lao desk and they will give you a stamp/visa, 1,400bt. After If you want there are a few shop's to visit for cheap goodies, and the tuk tuk will take you there. Then back to the Thai side fill out a entry form "no charge" they will then give you a 90 day stamp check the date's as they some time's only give you a 30 day one ......... They speak Thai and also some English so no problem's. Easy as pie....... The room's at the resort are the best Ive had in Thailand for the money.

I will be off line for the next month after the 17th so if you want any more info it's got to be quick. P.S. They take Thai Baht.

Take a look at Google Earth, then type in: Tha Li Very good resolution for that whole border area which makes things easier to find.

Can also go to Google Maps: tha li loei

Mac

Thanks for info guys, I’ve already mapped out my route on the map and will use your info as my guide.

Do you have any idea of the distance from Phetchabun to Tha Li?.

I’ll get the misses to call the resort as my Thai is ok but it’s much easier to let the misses make the booking.

Thanks for info guys, I've already mapped out my route on the map and will use your info as my guide.

I'll get the misses to call the resort as my Thai is ok but it's much easier to let the misses make the booking.

I did this exact run to THA LI just last week, its around 220km but if you plan on using GPG in the car DONT follow it once you get outside PHU REAU, follow the signs for PHU REAU then stay on the main road through the town and 12 km outside you will see sign for Friendship Bridge on the left and then turn left. I left Phetchabun around 9.00am was at the border for midday took 15 minutes there, drove into to town for some lunch and was home in Phetchabun by 4pm. If you need to know anything else IM me.

Edited by CharlieH

Thanks for info guys, I've already mapped out my route on the map and will use your info as my guide.

I'll get the misses to call the resort as my Thai is ok but it's much easier to let the misses make the booking.

I did this exact run to THA LI just last week, its around 220km but if you plan on using GPG in the car DONT follow it once you get outside PHU REAU, follow the signs for PHU REAU then stay on the main road through the town and 12 km outside you will see sign for Friendship Bridge on the left and then turn left. I left Phetchabun around 9.00am was at the border for midday took 15 minutes there, drove into to town for some lunch and was home in Phetchabun by 4pm. If you need to know anything else IM me.

Thanks for the vauable info.

Can you give me the route you took as the one i drew up from my Thai motoring guide comes to 350 km's which tells me somethings not right with you quoting 220km.

It's a 2006 motoring guide so a few new road's might have been built since this publication.

My misses telephones some 'call centre' in Bangkok and they told her it's 304 kilometres.

Can you give me the route you took as the one i drew up from my Thai motoring guide comes to 350 km's which tells me somethings not right with you quoting 220km.

It's a 2006 motoring guide so a few new road's might have been built since this publication.

My misses telephones some 'call centre' in Bangkok and they told her it's 304 kilometres.

I went from Phetchabun to Lomsak then straight up the 203 to PHU RUEA, through PHU RUEA 12 km outside turn left for THA LI........another 30km (approx) and your at the border.

I went from Phetchabun to Lomsak then straight up the 203 to PHU RUEA, through PHU RUEA 12 km outside turn left for THA LI........another 30km (approx) and your at the border.

Thats my route CharlieH, thank's for your input. i owe you a beer or two.

In Bangkok at the moment with a couple of mates doing a bit or R&R.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

this is my first post on this forum. I have to do a visa run end of december(Tourist Visa 3 Entries). Last time i went to the Nong Khai border but it was long trip.

The problem is i have no car and i have to do my visa run with public buses. Is it possible to go to the Tha Li border with public buses?

Hello,

this is my first post on this forum. I have to do a visa run end of december(Tourist Visa 3 Entries). Last time i went to the Nong Khai border but it was long trip.

The problem is i have no car and i have to do my visa run with public buses. Is it possible to go to the Tha Li border with public buses?

I'm afraid your out of luck on that one.

I've just done the Cha Li border run and it's very primative and see no reason's why buses would run there. Once you come off the main 203 road the road leading to Friendship bridge at Cha Li is the worst i've ever driven on as its littered with deep pot holes and 'road slip' where the road has slid sideways. At the border i was the only farang to be seen for miles.

At the border crossing it was mostly Laoations moving back and forth, they mostly turned up in Songteaws.

There is no local accomodation in Cha Li itself.

I suppose you could get to Phu Rua then hire a vehicle with driver to take you to Cha Li but i wouldn't risk it.

Phetchabun is not the best place to live if you don't have transport or have a retirement visa and have to rely on border trips to stay legal.

In your case i suggest Nong Khai is your best option.

For the record I did, on a whim, 'risk it' with a bus run to Phu Rua and hope to hire some transport to the border from there. My Thai is not amazing but good enough to sort out a bit of transport up the road.

No luck I am afraid, plenty of big songteaws doing school runs etc but nothing to the border, couldn't even persuade a samlor to take me there and back. Asked at the Police station (clutching at straws I know)if they knew of anything and they laughed and said no, so I had breakfast and caught the bus back to Phetchabun. Might have had better luck if I had taken the missus with me but didn't look promising.

For the record I did, on a whim, 'risk it' with a bus run to Phu Rua and hope to hire some transport to the border from there. My Thai is not amazing but good enough to sort out a bit of transport up the road.

No luck I am afraid, plenty of big songteaws doing school runs etc but nothing to the border, couldn't even persuade a samlor to take me there and back. Asked at the Police station (clutching at straws I know)if they knew of anything and they laughed and said no, so I had breakfast and caught the bus back to Phetchabun. Might have had better luck if I had taken the missus with me but didn't look promising.

WOW ! that was one hell of a gamble, sorry it didnt pay off for you and you wasted your time.

When is your Visa due date ?

This was last year, no big deal I had time to spare on the visa and fancied a bit of a trip out. It is only 150bht om the bus from here so thought I'd give it a go, nothing ventured and all that.

Not due another run until the end of Feb next year now, thankfully.

Thanks for your help. I think i will try the visa run to the Tha Li Border by bus because i have the time to do that. If the trip isn't successful i can go to the Nong Khai Border.

I will share my experience of this trip and write in this forum.

Its Nong Khai all the way for those without their own transport,in fact if you have the time and money it can make for a decent trip,i recently did this run,i live near Lom Sak,so started out in Lom Sak took the bus to Khon Kaen roughly 4 hours due to the mountainous road through Nam Nao/Tat Mok parks to Chaiyaphum then on to Khon Kaen,stopped one night but could have got the bus the same day in KK,Next day bus to Nong Khai via Udon Thani slightly longer this one but good roads,so in reality one could get to the border with ease in one day on public transport from Lom Sak.But as i say well worth taking a little time and enjoying the ride,I stayed one night in Nong Khai took a tuk tuk the next day and the hassle free bus across,stopped in Vientienne 3 nights and headed back,this time breaking in Udon as opposed to Khon Kaen all in all a decent week and much needed return to slightly familiar surroundings.

Good luck and try to enjoy it if you have the time,its not difficult really. ;)

Its Nong Khai all the way for those without their own transport,in fact if you have the time and money it can make for a decent trip,i recently did this run,i live near Lom Sak,so started out in Lom Sak took the bus to Khon Kaen roughly 4 hours due to the mountainous road through Nam Nao/Tat Mok parks to Chum Phae then on to Khon Kaen,stopped one night but could have got the bus the same day in KK,Next day bus to Nong Khai via Udon Thani slightly longer this one but good roads,so in reality one could get to the border with ease in one day on public transport from Lom Sak.But as i say well worth taking a little time and enjoying the ride,I stayed one night in Nong Khai took a tuk tuk the next day and the hassle free bus across,stopped in Vientienne 3 nights and headed back,this time breaking in Udon as opposed to Khon Kaen all in all a decent week and much needed return to slightly familiar surroundings.

Thats Chum Phae on Highway 12 ,Not Chaiyaphum on Highway 225 Silly Me :annoyed:

Edited by stoneyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Its Nong Khai all the way for those without their own transport,in fact if you have the time and money it can make for a decent trip,i recently did this run,i live near Lom Sak,so started out in Lom Sak took the bus to Khon Kaen roughly 4 hours due to the mountainous road through Nam Nao/Tat Mok parks to Chaiyaphum then on to Khon Kaen,stopped one night but could have got the bus the same day in KK,Next day bus to Nong Khai via Udon Thani slightly longer this one but good roads,so in reality one could get to the border with ease in one day on public transport from Lom Sak.But as i say well worth taking a little time and enjoying the ride,I stayed one night in Nong Khai took a tuk tuk the next day and the hassle free bus across,stopped in Vientienne 3 nights and headed back,this time breaking in Udon as opposed to Khon Kaen all in all a decent week and much needed return to slightly familiar surroundings.

Thanks for the infos, but i did exactly this trip last year. Only 3 days ago i went to the Tha Li Border for my visa run without car.

A more detailed description will follow soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the infos, but i did exactly this trip last year. Only 3 days ago i went to the Tha Li Border for my visa run without car.

A more detailed description will follow soon.

Any more info on this visa run to Tha Li, i am willing to give it a try end of Feb,if its easy enough to do cheers Stoneyboy.

Straight on Highway 21 for me i hope.

post-118612-0-30730600-1293651368_thumb.

The nearest border is THA LI About 2.5/3 hour's north on the 203 look out for the sign on the left friendship bridge, just after PHU RUEA.

Intresting Thai Li a Laos boarder crossing maybe my old map not up to date, only shows Nong Khai, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdaham, Chong Mek, Chiang Saen and Chiang Khong.

All worth a trip one day I guess.

Edited by Kwasaki

The nearest border is THA LI About 2.5/3 hour's north on the 203 look out for the sign on the left friendship bridge, just after PHU RUEA.

Intresting Thai Li a Laos boarder crossing maybe my old map not up to date, only shows Nong Khai, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdaham, Chong Mek, Chiang Saen and Chiang Khong.

All worth a trip one day I guess.

Check out my recent trip report to the Cha Li border entitled:

Phetchabun to the Cha Li border and Friendship Bridge by car.

Edited by nam-thip