Samitivej Sri Racha Review

MattFS218

I went to Samitivej Sri Racha (Si Racha) today for a rash I had on my skin. While I was there they were promoting October as breast cancer awareness month and there where several packages their reception sales people was pushing for preventative screening. I was too busy worrying about seeing my doctor and my rash while the sales person managed to convince my 30 year old thai girlfriend who no history of breast cancer to buy the mammogram package.

I only found out after that mammograms are not recommended until age 50, but Samitivej seems to think it's OK to recommend this service to anyone--apparently to increase their profits. OK--I understand they are a private hospital looking to make an extra buck, but what makes me angry is that mammograms because of the x-ray radiation can actually cause more problems than are beneficial as a breast cancer screening tool.

So, let it be known that Samitivej does not care at all about the safety of their patients, but only cares about up selling totally unnecessary packages. 3 people, the doctor, x-ray technician, and the original sales person should have known better than to send a 30-year old without any history of breast cancer to have a mammogram performed.

Please be aware of my experience at Samitivej

Edited by MattFS218

Matt,

Think you are being a bit harsh......I know of 3 females who developed breast cancer and they were well under 50, and they all said themselves they wish they had had the mammograms sooner.

The info you are quoting saying 50 or over is a rule of thumb only.

As regards the amount of radiation received, a one off X-ray does not "cause problems".

Is the hosptial playing on peoples fears in selling these packages.. ...maybe......does this mean the hosptial doesnt care about the safety of its patients ?.....No....think you are stretching that one a bit far

Matt,

Think you are being a bit harsh......I know of 3 females who developed breast cancer and they were well under 50, and they all said themselves they wish they had had the mammograms sooner.

The info you are quoting saying 50 or over is a rule of thumb only.

As regards the amount of radiation received, a one off X-ray does not "cause problems".

Is the hosptial playing on peoples fears in selling these packages.. ...maybe......does this mean the hosptial doesnt care about the safety of its patients ?.....No....think you are stretching that one a bit far

The effectiveness of of mammogram in younger woman is lower because of the density of the breasts. It's unfortunate your friends had breast cancer at a young age, but clinical studies have shown that EVEN if your friends DID have a mammogram earlier in their life, statistically they would not live longer or have a better chance of surviving cancer because of it.

Several studies I came across actually say that mammograms especially in younger woman because they are so difficult to read because of breast density actually lead to more false positives which in tern causes more unnecessary treatments.

I was not able to find any sources recommending mammograms for 30 year old woman without any prior breast cancer history, but I would love to be shown one. 1 mammogram = 3 months worth of normal radiation.

It does not bother me if Samitivej wants to over charge me for doctors visits or medicine, but once they bring undue harm to my family to make a buck--that crosses the line.

Edited by MattFS218

The effectiveness of of mammogram in younger woman is lower because of the density of the breasts. It's unfortunate your friends had breast cancer at a young age, but clinical studies have shown that EVEN if your friends DID have a mammogram earlier in their life, statistically they would not live longer or have a better chance of surviving cancer because of it.

Several studies I came across actually say that mammograms especially in younger woman because they are so difficult to read because of breast density actually lead to more false positives which in tern causes more unnecessary treatments.

I was not able to find any sources recommending mammograms for 30 year old woman without any prior breast cancer history, but I would love to be shown one. 1 mammogram = 3 months worth of normal radiation.

It does not bother me if Samitivej wants to over charge me for doctors visits or medicine, but once they bring undue harm to my family to make a buck--that crosses the line.

Ah theres that word..... "statistically".....and earlier detection COULD have give them a better chance, there is nothing definitive to say they wouldnt have benefitted either.

As regards another statement "normal radiation"...please define this....my back ground is in radiography (not medical) and I have never heard this term before, levels of background radiation, (which is what I think you are talking about) vary the world over, there is no such thing as a "normal level" of radiation

Matt, I can assure you a 1 off mammogram will not bring undue harm to your GF, think we are being a tad melodramatic...

Below is a link to the latest research on the effectiveness of Mammograms in Woman Under 50 funded by the US Government (Dec 2009)

http://www.uspreve17145179155ntiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspsbrca.htm

It recommends mammograms every 2 years for woman OVER 50. It does not recommend normal screen at all under 50 unless there is greater than normal risk factors (like family history) and a consultation with a doctor. Please keep in mind my girlfriend is 30. I hate to think what would happen if a pregnant 20 year old woman who was concerned about breast cancer walked into Samitivej.

You are right, by normal levels of radiation I am referring to background radiation. I am curious in what countries do background radiation increase?

Mammograms are used to monitor changes in breast tissue overtime. So unless they are recommending routine breast cancer screening at 30,32,34,36, etc years of age, this "One Off" mammogram is worthless and only serves 2 things 1) to increase profits and 2) to keep radiologists like yourself employed ;)

Joking aside, 1 mammogram isn't going to kill my 30 year old girlfriend, but do you REALLY want to trust a hospital with more serious matters when they have chosen in my experience to order a potentially (although small likelihood) harmful x-ray only to increase profits. You need to have trust in a hospital to use it, and Samitivej has lost mine.

This is actually my second experience with Samitivej, the first time was for a dentist cleaning where they claimed to have "found a cavity" and charged me to fill it. When I told my US dentist about it, he couldn't find the cavity yet alone the filling.

Below is another link on the effectiveness of mammograms in woman in their 40s

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/201898.php

based on a Stanford University study. It basically says that mammograms for routine screening for woman in their 40s leads to false positives and well, higher hospital bills, and more unnecessary x-rays.