40 Year Old Tudor Watch

onnut

hi guys

I have a 40 year old Tudor watch by Rolex and I want to put a new strap and give it a clean. anywhere in Bangkok I can trust to do a good job while I wait?

its an old gold watch given to my Grandfather for 30 years service when he retired. still in very good working order and condition. I have just started wearing again occasionally and would like a new strap.

if anybody has any idea how much it could be worth I would like to know for insurance purposes please.

Thank you

post-50920-073308400 1286791892_thumb.jp

Bump

This is a manual wind, gold platted (micron) wristwatch with small second hand.

Basically the emotional value is much more than the actual, I would estimate this watch up to max. 400 EURO, but better check out wwwDOTebayDOTde and look for similar models from same brand TUDOR. TUDOR in fact is a brand owned by ROLEX but never made it super valueable, except the "look a like" Daytona models, esp. the 70th ones...

Hi !

I am a German Master Watchmaker with 30 Year Expirience, and have to speak ..that real Thais never will be untrustfull to Customers !

so why You scare ?

We not speak from Pattaya, this isn.t Thailand !

go to the MBK Center 3.Floor in Bangkok, there are some Shops You can change easily a new Strap, and wait until ready.

The Watch for sure isn.t so much worthfull as You thinking !

Is of Course not a Gold, only probably a Gold filled Case with a nice Movement.

As i confirm the Worth will be about 300 to 400 Euro ....

Over the past 3 years I have tried a number of people for various repairs etc to my watch`s as needed, I have found excellent service and quality in the most strange places, the best all round for clean & service is at the end of Soi 4 Sukhumvit, turn left and on the footpath outside the petrol station is a street cart, I have entrusted him with many pieces with no issues. If the thought of a street assignation rankles, directly opposite is the Nana Plaza ? or Central shopping centre, on the 1st floor is a dealer & repairer of real watches.

Bump

This is a manual wind, gold platted (micron) wristwatch with small second hand.

Basically the emotional value is much more than the actual, I would estimate this watch up to max. 400 EURO, but better check out wwwDOTebayDOTde and look for similar models from same brand TUDOR. TUDOR in fact is a brand owned by ROLEX but never made it super valueable, except the "look a like" Daytona models, esp. the 70th ones...

Yes thank you for the idea to do an online search. I found one that looks the same and selling for around 350 pounds. I didnt think it would be worth that much, once about 15 years ago I took it to a place in London and they said 100 pounds! but you are right in it being more emotional value to me and I hpe to pass it on to my son one day.

thanks for your answer.

Hi !

I am a German Master Watchmaker with 30 Year Expirience, and have to speak ..that real Thais never will be untrustfull to Customers !

so why You scare ?

We not speak from Pattaya, this isn.t Thailand !

go to the MBK Center 3.Floor in Bangkok, there are some Shops You can change easily a new Strap, and wait until ready.

The Watch for sure isn.t so much worthfull as You thinking !

Is of Course not a Gold, only probably a Gold filled Case with a nice Movement.

As i confirm the Worth will be about 300 to 400 Euro ....

thanks

Over the past 3 years I have tried a number of people for various repairs etc to my watch`s as needed, I have found excellent service and quality in the most strange places, the best all round for clean & service is at the end of Soi 4 Sukhumvit, turn left and on the footpath outside the petrol station is a street cart, I have entrusted him with many pieces with no issues. If the thought of a street assignation rankles, directly opposite is the Nana Plaza ? or Central shopping centre, on the 1st floor is a dealer & repairer of real watches.

Thanks, I will go and take a look.

The watch departments at all Central Department stores have service departments. If you want, I believe the official Rolex dealer for Thailand has a retail outlet on Wireless Road, near the Plaza Athenee hotel.

My wife found that place today for me so I will go there I think because I would prefer a Rolex strap for it. but my wifes friend said they were charged nearly 30,000 baht to clean a rolex!!! could that be so? seems a little much to me.

The watch departments at all Central Department stores have service departments. If you want, I believe the official Rolex dealer for Thailand has a retail outlet on Wireless Road, near the Plaza Athenee hotel.

My wife found that place today for me so I will go there I think because I would prefer a Rolex strap for it. but my wifes friend said they were charged nearly 30,000 baht to clean a rolex!!! could that be so? seems a little much to me.

More like 3,000 baht.

Go to Swatch Watch group Thailand on Wireless rd, where the Conrad hotel is.

Its on the 4th floor of the All Seasons Place, (building on your lh side as you enter) come out the elevator and go left.

Was in there a few months ago, some bg was in trying to get a rado fixed (broken ceramic bezel), she was quoted 10,000+, she declined

and didnt know what to do, I offered her 5,000 for the watch as it was, she was more than happy, cost me 13,000 to get watched repaired and cleaned,

watch will cost more than 40,000 to buy new.

More like 3,000 baht.

Go to Swatch Watch group Thailand on Wireless rd, where the Conrad hotel is.

Its on the 4th floor of the All Seasons Place, (building on your lh side as you enter) come out the elevator and go left.

Was in there a few months ago, some bg was in trying to get a rado fixed (broken ceramic bezel), she was quoted 10,000+, she declined

and didnt know what to do, I offered her 5,000 for the watch as it was, she was more than happy, cost me 13,000 to get watched repaired and cleaned,

watch will cost more than 40,000 to buy new.

That was a good deal for you, right place right time! I will try the rolex shop first and see what they say. thanks

I used to have a Tudor Prince Oysterdate of about the same age as this one appears to be. It will have the Rolex crown on the winder. Unfortunately it was stolen in a burglary in the UK. It had been my fathers.

I claimed on my insurance and as the watch was irreplaceable they gave a voucher for 700Gbpin compensation so I now have another Tudor Prince Date and am very happy with it.

I took it to be cleaned in the UK last Christmas and it cost 200 GBP for a clean. dam_n good watch though. Tough crytal glass face, not a scratch on it.

I am not sure if they are still a part of Rolex as the winder now carries the Tudor insignia.

Edited by tolsti

I used to have a Tudor Prince Oysterdate of about the same age as this one appears to be. It will have the Rolex crown on the winder. Unfortunately it was stolen in a burglary in the UK. It had been my fathers.

I claimed on my insurance and as the watch was irreplaceable they gave a voucher for 700Gbpin compensation so I now have another Tudor Prince Date and am very happy with it.

I took it to be cleaned in the UK last Christmas and it cost 200 GBP for a clean. dam_n good watch though. Tough crytal glass face, not a scratch on it.

I am not sure if they are still a part of Rolex as the winder now carries the Tudor insignia.

Yes my winder and strap buckle has the rolex crown on them. I love this watch and would hate to lose it. I went to the Rolex service center on Wireless rd today and they do not have a strap for it but will order one from Switzerland for me and will call me in a week or so. the strap has to be glued on as the watch does not have pins to put the strap through, its a solid bit. The new logo which looks like a shield started in 1969 and that is when Tudor went in its own direction from Rolex. so I am lucky to have one of the last ones made with the Rolex Crowns on.

The service center didnt understand how it could have the Rolex crown instead of the shield and asked if I had had it repaired like that on purpose! my watch also has the Tudor Rose on the face which now they do not use anymore.