Singer George Michael free after four weeks in jail

News_Editor

Singer George Michael free after four weeks in jail

2010-10-12 02:10:33 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON (BNO NEWS) – Singer George Michael was released from prison in Suffolk, England on Monday following a short sentence due to driving under the influence of narcotics, the BBC reported.

"I just want to say thank you for everybody who has supported me in there. I just want to start again," the pop singer said after his release.

Michael was sentenced on September 14 to eight weeks, four of them in jail, after crashing his Land Rover into a photographic shop while driving under the influence of marijuana. Michael, whose real name is Georgios Panayiotou, was arrested on July 4 in Hampstead, in northern London.

The singer served the initial days of his sentence at the Pentonville Prision before being transferred to Highpoint Prison in Suffolk. Michael issued a statement while imprisoned indicating that he did not receive special treatment of any kind.

The 47-year-old musician was also fined £1,250 ($1,988) and is prohibited from driving for the next five years. The remaining 4 weeks of his sentence will be served on license.

Michael was unable to avoid jail time as this was his second conviction on the same charge. The singer has made no secret of his long-time use of cannabis.

In October 2006, Michael was found collapsed inside his Mercedes Benz due to his excessive drug usage. He was banned from driving for two years and sentenced to 100 hours of community service.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-12