New Nyc Style Jewish Deli Menu Plus Wine Bar/Gallery Opens

Jingthing

Up to you, I imagine you despise me now for being so critical, but remember, also all free publicity is good publicity.

That fish and chips place that threw Jingthing out - Simon's? - got LOTS of free publicity. :D

Actually, I think even that was likely overall a plus for that place. They are still in business, too.

There is no comparison though to my comments about the new deli/not a deli place. I certainly hope people do try that place, of course, I have no interest in suppressing that. My opinions, though admittedly very strong and of course subjective, are in the spirit of helping make the new place an even bigger success. Of course I think I am right, but there is no way of really testing that. To do that you would have to live in two alternative universes, one with Street Life with that history and location going with that name and the current non-promotion of deli strategy (and old Amor menu/identity) and the other, same location, etc., different name, totally deli promotion (including hot deli platters), drop Amor entirely, etc. Then, compare. Impossible. A choice had to be made.

P.S. -- Personally I think the art gallery/wine bar concept is fine, even within the concept of a deli if it was being promoted as a deli restaurant, which it isn't.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran out of editing time ...

Here is an example of why I think I am right, why a business should name/promote/and identify CLEARLY around their most exciting/novel element.

Recently a pizza place opened up in Naklua called

NEW YORK PIZZA

While they have other foods, they recognizing their strength, the novelty of being the first in town to offer authentic NEW YORK STYLE pizza. You have no doubt from the name how they are identifying themselves. From that, they have garnered lots of local press, and of course they do have good food, and by appearances are doing good business. In my view, they did this exactly right.

Compare to this strategy. Instead of calling it New York Pizza, they might have called it Munich Bazaar (is that even a restaurant at all someone might wonder?) (as they are in German neighborhood). No mention of pizza and hide the pizza ovens behind a curtain so they can't be seen from the street. Perhaps the old location used to be German restaurant. Well of course keep most of the German food on the menu, and also offer pizza as an option. It so happens there are many German restaurants in Naklua but no New York Pizza place, but never mind, don't want to upset the old customers.

Which strategy would you choose, which business would you find more coherent, which place would you feel was showing MORE CONFIDENCE in the unique/novel part of their offering?

Edited by Jingthing

Which strategy would you choose, which business would you find more coherent, which place would you feel was showing MORE CONFIDENCE in the unique/novel part of their offering?
To some extent, I agree with you Jing. Particularly in this case, because many deli's offer more than just lunch fare. The name "delicatessen" is of German origin, and means delicious things to eat. The typical deli is located in an urban area, and offers sandwich and salad items. It's a kind of synthesis between a quick service restaurant and a mini-gourmet market. Many deli's offer foods, for dine-in or take out, that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I think it's up to the owner how he feels he can best market his restaurant. You may be right that a deli would be the best way to call attention to his restaurant, but ultimately its his choice. As his menu stands, I think it does resemble an ethnic or international deli, but not a Jewish deli. He may have different idea for its future, however.

Hi all,

Thanks to Jingthing's original post, I tried this place last night. I have read some of the comments, such as peoples objection to whether VAT is added or included, service charges and the location.

As far as location, I, being 100% hetrosexual, have no problems going into a gay area for a feed. Come on, this is not a place for the homophobics, so I do not think it is a huge barrier. If someone did feel this way, then it is not far, only about 15 meters to a street full of bars of the female variety. Did I feel uncomfortable being there? Not at all.

If you add tax after or before, let me tell you. You still pay it. My bill came with one total, and I paid it. Not sure about the fuss over adding or not adding VAT because it was all included.

Service charge? It does not apply here. If you want to tip, then tip. If you don't, then don't. Here it is entirely up to you, and there was no service charge added here. It also states this on the menu.

Pork or no pork? This was posted as a New York Deli, not a Kosher Deli. It is all there, and seems good. Unfortunately there was no Matzoh Ball Soup or Latkahs, but I did get a take home pack, and I will report back once I have tried my Bagels, Smoked Salmon (no Tassie Salmon unfortunately, but the price is good).

About my experience:

I thought the food was good. The Salmon Ravioli was bloody nice, and the serving was a good size. As I like my food, the serving size is important. The food came from the New Orleans place next door, and they are doing some sort of kitchen share with each having their signature dishes. As long as it woks, who cares. Thier hot food menu only arrived late last night so I cannot really comment.

Overall, it was not bad. The food was good. The artwork not really my thing but that is a personal taste. I thought the wine list could have been better. Australia produces the best wine in the world (this will get you going, so bring it on) yet was only barely represented. What was there could have been better. Lots of wine from Chile and South Africa if you like price, but when it comes to wine, it is better to spend the money and drink something decent. Wines by the glass were very limited, and I feel for a wine bar, there should be more that 3 x white, 3 x red, and 3 x rose. No sticky/desert wines? It would have been nice to have.

I would probably prefer a better location, but being in a gay area will not stop me going back.

These are my thoughts and views only. If you have not been, then I suggest you give it a go.

Good review mcyachty, nice to see someone who has been and tried it out, without lecturing the owner on how to run his business. Based on what you say I will give it a try myself, as I do fancy the salmon Ravioli!!!!

Yeah, but the salmon ravioli is already on the menu at Cafe New Orleans, yes? So why go to a new restaurant to eat from a menu from another restaurant (unless the price is better and/or you like the setting better)? Not saying it wasn't good, but still, the deli offerings are what is new and exciting about Street Life. To be clear, I have never and would never suggest that a deli restaurant in Pattaya should be Kosher/Jewish only and not have pork. Deli can include many things, including traditional Jewish deli offerings. No problem with the porky Euro-deli type items at all. That is a non-issue.

Edited by Jingthing

I want to thank all those who have suggested ideas for this venue, all those who have taken the time to eat there and report back and lastly to Richard for taking the time to answer/clarify the comments thus far.

I don’t usually get excited about new eateries in Pattaya (been there and all that) but I am excited about this one because of all the interesting posts so far.

I am looking forward to throwing caution to the wind, walking around BoyzTowne until I find it and then stuffing my face with what will be a delightful experience.

At this point I will share my food experience here and I hope those of you who get there before I will also share your opinions---at least for the next week or so.

Edited by just_another_guy

Yeah, but the salmon ravioli is already on the menu at Cafe New Orleans, yes? So why go to a new restaurant to eat from a menu from another restaurant (unless the price is better and/or you like the setting better)? Not saying it wasn't good, but still, the deli offerings are what is new and exciting about Street Life. To be clear, I have never and would never suggest that a deli restaurant in Pattaya should be Kosher/Jewish only and not have pork. Deli can include many things, including traditional Jewish deli offerings. No problem with the porky Euro-deli type items at all. That is a non-issue.

agreed, could have went to Cafe New Orleans

I am looking forward to throwing caution to the wind, walking around BoyzTowne until I find it and then stuffing my face with what will be a delightful experience.

It's easy to find...if you know where Cafe New Orleans is, it's "behind" it. If you're looking at CNO and walk into Bozytown it is the first shop on the right.

A review from another site --

I have eaten a few Times now already at this new Street Life.

Fair to say that while it is not 110% New York corned beef and pastrami it is extremely close and as close as your gonna get it!! The breads are great and so are the sides. The size of the sandwhiches are unlike any sandwhich that Europe and Asia call a sandwhich. I say great for a light meal. They serve 1/2 sandwhiches and food to go also. A must!!!

Note well! People are excited about the NEW YORK DELI OFFERINGS. That is the big sell of this place. The owner should consider trying to absorb this reality and market based on that. If he did, only good things would come. If not, it is clear to me he is going to CONFUSE a large percentage of the public who will have no idea what his place is about, and skip it entirely. Marketed the logical way, based on the buzz, the New York deli part of it (and also expand that part of the menu) people will travel from Bangkok and beyond just to eat there!

In my view, this is rather funny. The New York deli concept in Thailand is a big potential winner. To not go with that, it's like digging in a gold mine and finding a rich vein of gold, but instead focusing on the quartz that is also in the mine.

Another example. Remember when Sunrise Tacos opened in Bangkok? At the time it was ground breaking. It was indeed the first place in Thailand to mass market California style tacos and burritos. Would you agree with me they would have been very irrational to name their place Happy Tent House or some such and offer an old menu of Armenian dishes?

Edited by Jingthing

I stopped in at Street Life yesterday afternoon and bought some lunch meats (sliced turkey, ham and salami).

Today's lunch at home was a turkey on a baguette with mayo. lettuce & tomato. Heavenly! I recommended trying their food to go, it is quite reasonably priced.

I have dined twice in the new deli and have been very pleased with the sandwiches and salads. If you're looking for real corned beef and pastrami, look no further.

I stopped in at Street Life yesterday afternoon and bought some lunch meats (sliced turkey, ham and salami).

Today's lunch at home was a turkey on a baguette with mayo. lettuce & tomato. Heavenly! I recommended trying their food to go, it is quite reasonably priced.

I have dined twice in the new deli and have been very pleased with the sandwiches and salads. If you're looking for real corned beef and pastrami, look no further.

how do the lunch meats compare to Thai-German? may i ask what you paid for 100 grams of the ham?

No better sandwhich in the world than a piled high pastrami or corned beef or reuben.

The ONLY place to get them is at a DELI.

Many have tried to copy but have fallen short.

NY pizza the same thing.

Great news...The Village Chinky opens in November.

Jingting knows food!!!!!

His thoughts are very valuable to Richard.

Deli is a word to cause attention.

We all know...cafe...inn...restaurant...diner...bistro...etc

No other word makes your mouth water like Deli!

But the food needs to be dam_n good.

LOL "DELI" is standard food in my home country.

Well imports are expensive (still angry about cheese prices all the way) but meanwhile you can find good ham, salami etc. out of local production at more reasonable prices.

An interesting topic, gays and food. Personally, I have found so called "gay restaurants" to be fairly universally not great. They are marketing a scene rather than the food. I have always avoided them and I did consider Amor in that class of place in some ways. Not as much as say that Royale place or the Ambiance hotel restaurant, of course. However, this new not a deli/is a deli does sound like they may have great food, so no point in being dogmatic, at least before the word is out on the quality.

B) Why has no one tried the food? It would be interesting to have a report on the food.:ermm:

Going there tomorrow to eat, look at the art, and am really looking forward to it. Been way too long since I had a GOOD pastrami sandwich. Why are so many here bitching and nit-picking about a place they haven't even tried! Amazing (farangs in) Thailand!

An interesting topic, gays and food. Personally, I have found so called "gay restaurants" to be fairly universally not great. They are marketing a scene rather than the food. I have always avoided them and I did consider Amor in that class of place in some ways. Not as much as say that Royale place or the Ambiance hotel restaurant, of course. However, this new not a deli/is a deli does sound like they may have great food, so no point in being dogmatic, at least before the word is out on the quality.

B) Why has no one tried the food? It would be interesting to have a report on the food.:ermm:

Going there tomorrow to eat, look at the art, and am really looking forward to it. Been way too long since I had a GOOD pastrami sandwich. Why are so many here bitching and nit-picking about a place they haven't even tried! Amazing (farangs in) Thailand!

Hoping for a good report so I can great sanwich!!

how do the lunch meats compare to Thai-German? may i ask what you paid for 100 grams of the ham?

I think they are better and cheaper than Thai-German. The Thai-German are packaged and these are freshly sliced. The ham was, I believe, 70 baht for 100 grams.

Ok. Ok. I went to Street Life today!

The atmosphere is eclectic chic!

The modern bistro/wine bar with a restaurant and art gallery All In One.

But...I went for the DELI!

Wow was I delighted. I ate delicous pastrami and corned beef. Both melted in my mouth. So lean and fresh.

Also I was blown away by the Kalmata olives in a delicous marinade. Reminded me of the best Greek olives I had as a kid. The green olives are great too.

As for the location there is plenty of parking for a motorcycle. The area is mixed with Thais..farangs...gays and straights.

The art is everywhere. Upstairs...downstairs...going up the stairs...going down the stairs...did I mention Everywhere!

Dammmn good prices on all the art that I asked about.

I now see why they are a Deli, but so much more!

A full main menu...wines...and a Deli!

I will go back again Friday evening for a birthday so if I have pissssed off any TV posters you can come say hello and share some wine.

Will report back after trying more items.

I think they are better and cheaper than Thai-German. The Thai-German are packaged and these are freshly sliced. The ham was, I believe, 70 baht for 100 grams.

Thai-German is also available freshly sliced at area supermarkets.

Thai-German is also available freshly sliced at area supermarkets.

The meats at Mr Moo Pattaya are very good and cheaper than what you stated i get deli meats there, all i heard hear and more Ham today i got was 200 Grams for 95 baht, great smoked honey ham and pastrami they have is best i have tasted anywhere in Thailand, NY style and very thin cut .

Many cheeses i can not find anywhere else like pepper Jack, you should check them out for home made stuff Much better than the BIG STORE food.

<br />Ok. Ok. I went to Street Life today!<br />The atmosphere is eclectic chic!<br />The modern bistro/wine bar with a restaurant and art gallery All In One.<br />But...I went for the DELI!<br />Wow was I delighted. I ate delicous pastrami and corned beef. Both melted in my mouth. So lean and fresh.<br />Also I was blown away by the Kalmata olives in a delicous marinade. Reminded me of the best Greek  olives I had as a kid. The green olives are great too.<br />As for the location there is plenty of parking for a motorcycle. The area is mixed with Thais..farangs...gays and straights.<br />The art is everywhere. Upstairs...downstairs...going up the stairs...going down the stairs...did I mention Everywhere!<br />Dammmn good prices on all the art that I asked about.<br />I now see why they are a Deli, but so much more!<br />A full main menu...wines...and a Deli!<br />I will go back again Friday evening for a birthday so if I have pissssed off any TV posters you can come say hello and share some wine.<br />Will report back after trying more items.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Had a long day in Bangkok, so was a basket case when I arrived at Street Life. (Nice place!!! The walls completely covered in art, of all different kinds. A fantastic look. For the single diner it's very pleasant to have something interesting to look at while eating. Had a wander around upstairs, glass of wine in hand. It was full of object d'art, and brick-a-brac). I just wanted to get home, shower off the grime of that city, and sink my teeth into some juicy hot pastrami, and had too many things to do today to stay out boozing, (though I did have 2 glasses of a very smooth and tasty S.A.Pinotage while I chatted with the big cheese), so I ordered take away. Stocked up on pastrami, salami, ham, mature cheddar and provolone cheeses. Had a very funny and interesting crowd of people there, including IAMSOBAD. (Yo, IAm! Good to meet you last night.) Got home and steamed the pastrami over a vegetable stock for 30 seconds, piled 8 oz on Street Life's rye bread (as they do), lathered our own coarse ground spicy mustard on, with a side of SL's split pea soup, crispy (melt in your mouth) calamari rings with a zesty cocktail sauce dip, cole slaw and pickles. It was orgasmic!!! I ate two sandwiches they were so dam_n good. Nice layer of fat on the outside of very tender, lean meat, fantastic flavor. Going to have Reuben sandwiches for lunch today at home, and am fargin titillated at the prospect. SL was a very relaxing place to be in, the wine bar/art gallery concept very comfortable to be in. The food was top notch, the wine delicious, the atmosphere was upbeat and fun. I'll be back again, and again. To any here that would rather give advice/criticize/complain but haven't even been to SL, you are really missing the boat! My hat's off to Mr Richard for having vision and cajones in trying something not done here before. Well done!!!!!