Advertising In Samui Magazines / Guides

Does anyone know how much it is to advertise a business in some Samui magazines / guides. Like in the Essential-Samui ( the little free monthly book ) ? I have been on there website but there is no contact details to ask them how much it is to advertise on a page in there book . Does anyone know the price for them or any other Samui publications where i can advertise

My business is aimed towards tourists and expats. So it will need to be in Magazines / Guides aimed at tourists and expats here in Samui.

Thanks

Edited by dansat

I've heard various prices from 500 to 5000 a month for different magazines and publications, there are probably dozens now, I forget the names of them all. As for calculating return on investment, its a little difficult, unless you can squeeze the referral out of the customer - difficult as may have been referred again by a tour op or the accumulation of seeing several ads enforcing brand etc.. you need to get an idea for the number.

Talk to them, each publication should have a telephone number or at least an email, ask for their distribution numbers and what they've done to realistically verify them, then do some of your own homework:

e.g.

If they say everyone arriving at Samui airport gets a copy, go down in the afternoon and see how many of punters getting into taxis/minibuses are holding a copy..

If they say distributed to all bars in Lamai, Chaweng etc.. go and see in the day time, are they well displayed, take a pen and mark the top copy discretely with a pen, return it, see how it takes to shift, will it still be there when you return?

Include a voucher so you can do some referral tracking yourself.

Edited by mattcodes

Thanks for the info and good advice Matt.

I will have to try and get some numbers and do some ringing round.

Has anyone had any problems dealing with any of them or do they seem ok ?

I take it most if not all the local ( Samui ) English language little pocket guides / magazines are owned / done by Farangs ??

It depends on what your want to advertise as well, if its accomodation then those little books handed out when people arrive aren't much good tbh, most people arrive with a booking already. If its food or a bar or some activity then yes, it is more useful

One thing most people don't grasp about advertising is that advertising won't bring you immediate results, you can put a coupon in but most people don't use them. If you advertise and ask where they saw it, chances are they will have no idea. Advertising is about increasing awareness and promoting your brand. Whatever that may be. So, if you want to increase awareness among tourists then those little magazines are ideal, for resident expats, forget it, most of the residents I know never bother to pick them up.

So don't expect an immediate return on your investment, just invest wisely. See who has the best distribution for your target audience.

Thanks sbk, my business is not accomadation. I think to advertise in one of them little free books would be good for my target market. Does anyone know who owns the Essential-Samui little book ? and what sort of numbers do they print and distribute each month ?

Edited by dansat

Essential samui:

David Sambor

Managing Director

Essential Samui Co., Ltd

Tel:08 50698459

email: david (at)essential-magazine.com

As advertised in the magazine

Edited by sbk
no emails in posts-please do not feed the spammers

Why don't you try BUY SELL magazine, i see they distribute everywhere on the island. It is free magazine, they have also an online versoin to read online.

Where do they distribute ? I have seen the BUY & SELL Samui magazine, but the lastest issue i seen somewhere was from Augst 2008. Is it still going ? and what is the website ? i Googled them but nothing comes up for them.

If you know let me know

Thanks

Why don't you try BUY SELL magazine, i see they distribute everywhere on the island. It is free magazine, they have also an online versoin to read online.

Where do they distribute ? I have seen the BUY & SELL Samui magazine, but the lastest issue i seen somewhere was from Augst 2008. Is it still going ? and what is the website ? i Googled them but nothing comes up for them.

If you know let me know

Thanks

Answered via PM. Enough with the free adverts thank you.