Mukdahan Gives Non-immigrant B?

Name: Vern

Citizenship: USA

Previous position: Teacher with government school in Ubon. For this I had gone to Vientianne and obtained the non-immigrant b visa for 2000 baht. I had a work permit with this school.

Now: Working with private school in Ubon. I quit the government school as it was bizarre and twisted. I had a co-worker farang that was a child molester (witnessed) and they didn't care to get rid of him. I am at my new school now and they called the office at Phibun Mangsahan to see what I needed to do - as my 1st 90 day "check-in" is required by august 3rd. Phibun responded that - my VISA was CANCELLED by my previous government school! So, since I didn't go to Phibun within the 7 day window after cancellation (because i hadnt a clue they cancelled it) I was going to be fined 1200 baht and get a late mark on my passport... blah blah.

The officer then suggested that I go back to Vientianne and get a NEW non-immigrant b VISA and don't go to Phibun and pay the fee and get the late mark...

Then it was suggested I just go to Mukdahan and go over to savannahket since they do non-immigrant b visas and sometimes the same day. IS THIS TRUE? has anyone done that????

I always thought that Vientianne was it... closest place to UBON.

Can anyone help?

Mukdahan is a 3-4 hour drive and a one day process where by Vientianne is 2 days travel and one overnight stay.

It would really help if someone new something solid...

Thanks so much - this board is incredibly useful.

Vern

[email protected]

There is a Royal Thai Consulate in Savannakhet that should be able to provide you a visa and at this time it is the only option if reports that Vientiane is closed to travel until the 30th are true.

the last boat from Savannakhet across to Mukhdahan is at about 1630 if I remember right and if you are going backdown to Ubon by bus you should make it in time for the last aircon bus of the day. Samit tours are the company

Mukdahan is a 3-4 hour drive

Vern,

I live in khemarat which is only about 1 1/4 hours drive from Big C and Mukdahan is about 45 mins from me. So this trip could easily be done in about 2 hours.

Last year I went across to Savanakhet to get a new Tourist visa and was told by the guys there that next time I come over to apply for a Non - Imm O. I assumed by this that they would be happy to issue me one of those. Not sure about the Non - Imm B.

I do know that if you get to the consulate before midday and have the application in you will receive the new visa around 2.30 pm.

Hope this has helped a bit :o

I had a co-worker farang that was a child molester (witnessed) and they didn't care to get rid of him.

Whoaaaaaaa!!!!!!! Did you report this? I hope so! It was mentioned so casually in your post, that I alsmost missed it. You as a teacher, and as a human being, have an obligation to pursue the matter. If the teachers will not protect the children, then who will.

WOW. Thank you all for the advice and comments! It's very much appreciated... If anyone has specific info on the trip from ubon to mukdahan to savannaket - busses, whether to take took took to savanaket or whatever else... a place to stay in mukdahan under or about 500 baht... a place to stay in savanaket close to the thai consulate... etc... please post for me if you have time. It's my first time to mukdahan but 5th trip to laos... (chongmek and vientianne other times).

Appreciate everything... and yes, of course I turned the guy in... I wrote 2 three page letters detailing separate incidents and the school ignored them. Saving face - remember? yes, it's that bad...

as I posted earlier Samit tours do the bus from the bus station in Ubon near the big C. Once at the bus station in Mukdahan just get one of the tricycle tuk-tuk's to the river, should be about 30 baht. It's then 50 baht for the boat across the river to Savannakhet. I stayed in Savannakhet a couple of times but sorry forget the name of the place. The last couple of times I went, I did it in one day, got the first bus from Ubon after booking the day before. Picked up passport at 3 and made the last bus back to Ubon.

WOW. Thank you all for the advice and comments!  It's very much appreciated...  If anyone has specific info on the trip from ubon to mukdahan to savannaket - busses, whether to take took took to savanaket or whatever else... a place to stay in mukdahan under or about 500 baht... a place to stay in savanaket close to the thai consulate... etc...  please post for me if you have time.  It's my first time to mukdahan but 5th trip to laos... (chongmek and vientianne other times).

Appreciate everything... and yes, of course I turned the guy in... I wrote 2 three page letters detailing separate incidents and the school ignored them. Saving face - remember?  yes, it's that bad...

If the school ignored your letters, I hope that you took it a lot further - like the Education Department and the local or provincal police and the embassy of the country the guy is from -- it is now a serious offence in many country's if their citizen are involved in anything like this, even if they are out of their own country.

If you haven't, I hope that you consider doing it NOW - as you owe it to all students and other farangs in Thailand.

Good on OP for reporting the molester, but it will have little effect. The police and other officials won't care, because it will only make the area look bad. The school will want to protect its reputation. If OP is leaving the school he has nothing to lose, but he shouldn't expect the kind of response there might be from a foreign school in the same situation. TIT.

"Steven"

Good on OP for reporting the molester, but it will have little effect.  The police and other officials won't care, because it will only make the area look bad.  The school will want to protect its reputation.  If OP is leaving the school he has nothing to lose, but he shouldn't expect the kind of response there might be from a foreign school in the same situation.  TIT.

"Steven"

Unfortunately this is probably very true, therefore my suggestion is to forward it to the embassy of the country this asrehole is from, they might be very interested.

artisi -

The school ignored my letters. The education department in back of the school - ignored the letters. They also ignored the 7 or 8 incidents of physical abuse where the guy hurt children in some way... pushing them down, spraying ammonia in a kid's eyes... stuff like that. The sexual abuse that I saw could have been interpreted other ways - but, when everythign is put together... cannot be and so I call him a child molester and child abuser... When you add up things like he would pick up the pratom 1 students in their skirts - girls only for some reason - and turn them upside down so their underwear and privates were a foot from his nose and eyes - and this is how he played with them... or that he gave hugs with both arms and open legs - as he sat in his chair in the office... or that i walked in on him while he cradled a girl on the floor and rubbed her thigh up and down - under the guise of "comforting" her... when you add these things up - he is a sick faukker but, nothing was so overt like me seeing him put his fingers inside a girl... and for this - the thais can turn their head and save face...

I got to the point where, after the school ignored my second letter I was prepared to bring the whole house of cards down... and as I prepared to do just that - with rallying all the local farangs and thai teachers from the entire city and surrounding area - I realized that I might well be killed for embarassing those that chose not to do anything...

and i had good advice from others that have been here for years - relax... learn something about their culture before you turn it upside down and get yourself (myself) killed or get thrown out of the country...

and so, that's that - I left and have another job... and he's still there...

life sucks

Vernthai - tough situation and I think you handled it well - nobody can expect you to risk your life.

One poster mentioned that you might want to report it to the respective embassy. Meanwhile; no proper embassy will accept the info anomously and you would again have to consider the risks to you personally as you will be named. Tough situation for sure.

• 3 months later...

Absolutely - this kind of stuff literally sickens me. These kids are getting completely screwed up. Whose face are they saving, anyway? As my wife says - some people only think about themselves. Hopefully the guy is from a country that cares. I'm quite proud of the American program to catch pee-pee touchers abroad. These guys ought to be castrated. Of course I mean that in the nicest possible way ....

Edited by drummer

or whatever else... a place to stay in mukdahan under or about 500 baht...

Hong Kong Hotel , very near the boat jetty, 300 baht

Sansuk Bungalow, 400metres to jetty, 300 baht

Riverside, 1km from jetty, 700 baht.

The Riverside is brand new and worth the money.

The other two are a bit grim.