Legal Knife Length In Bangkok

jan1van1hooten

Does anyone know the length of knife one can legally carry in Bangkok?

This question is matter of inches or centimeters,

although knife type may enter in - pocket knife, kitchen knife, butterfly, switchblade, etc.

if you know the answer, please just answer on the legal/ technical aspects.

please don't clog up the thread with any mushy preaching, or "advice."

that way we keep the thread short, helpful, and to the point.

• Like 1

I dont want to clog up your lovely thread here but I do have one thing to say which may prove helpfull.

I dont think it matters how big the blade is, if the law says 4 inches and you carry a 3 inch one you may think you are ok, until the day comes when some police man searches you for no reason and will use that as a way to get some money out of you....

last year a farang male threatened a Thai lady with a small blade. it was no more than 3 inches, anyway. the police came and took the knife off him but let him go. I think they let him go because he was not looking that well, I mean as in not right in the head, god knows how he got to Thailand. I had a run in with him a few times!!!!! I was running a bar at the time and all this happenend on the terrace. anyway, the police left with his knife and the locals chased him down the road :blink: . it was like something out of Benny Hill, until they gave him a good kickin!

anyway, my point is, if the police want to they will extort money from you, or if you pull it out when threatened by a local you better be able to run fast.

why do you want to carry a knife anyway?

It's illegal to carry any offensive weapon in Thailand.

On a side note, the majority of people killed or seriously wounded by knife crime are done so by their own blade. There really is no use in pulling a knife unless you intend to inflict serious injury. <snip>

Edited by soundman
Removed inflamatory comment.
  • Like 1

Missed the edit deadline, so apologies for another post. Here's the run down:

Section 371 of the Thai Criminal Code prohibits openly carrying arms to a public place or carrying them to a gathering of people assembled for any purpose. One can be arrested and convicted with a small fine for this, and the weapon confiscated. The word "arms" in section 371 includes all weapons such as hunting knives, clubs, nightsticks, machetes and firearms. It also includes anything not necessarily intended to be used as a weapon, but that can be, such as a golf club or a rolling pin.

There is no law that would prevent you from having them in the home and using them as protection from intruders. Please remember, though, that there are limits on how these weapons can be used, even in the home. Section 371 does allow for carrying concealed arms in public places with "reasonable cause", which would be defined on a case-by-case basis. This is, however, a very limited exception. Examples of this reasonable cause would be:Transporting arms to be used for sport;keeping arms in the car while transporting large amounts of cash;arms transported along with other household goods as part of the process of moving.

• Like 2

If you were carrying a Swiss army penknife similar to a multi-function tool I think you would be ok. If you had some kichen knives that you had just bought in a shop, you may be able to explain why you were carring them. To be carrying any other type of knife is simply asking for trouble. I have seen people go looking for trouble and sure as eggs are eggs they find it. Then they wish it hadn't. So, really the question has got to be - why are you asking? Why do you want to carry? Finally, why haven't the mods closed this thread?

In California, I think you can legally carry a 3-inch blade.

Since the usual <snip>, except for one, has soiled this thread, my next stop will have to be the khao san rd police station. .

I quoted you the law as it stands which is what you asked for, so why the ill temper?

As for California:

A folding knife as long as it is closed and does not have a blade that locks has no limit on blade length. It must be closed it can not be open in your pocket, the blade can not lock open and it can not open by gravity or assistance. All knives that have a lock blade must be less then 2 and 1/2 inches. Almost all other knives are illegal to be concealed(in your pocket)

Edited by bangkockney

Missed the edit deadline, so apologies for another post. Here's the run down:

Section 371 of the Thai Criminal Code prohibits openly carrying arms to a public place or carrying them to a gathering of people assembled for any purpose. One can be arrested and convicted with a small fine for this, and the weapon confiscated. The word "arms" in section 371 includes all weapons such as hunting knives, clubs, nightsticks, machetes and firearms. It also includes anything not necessarily intended to be used as a weapon, but that can be, such as a golf club or a rolling pin.

There is no law that would prevent you from having them in the home and using them as protection from intruders. Please remember, though, that there are limits on how these weapons can be used, even in the home. Section 371 does allow for carrying concealed arms in public places with "reasonable cause", which would be defined on a case-by-case basis. This is, however, a very limited exception. Examples of this reasonable cause would be:Transporting arms to be used for sport;keeping arms in the car while transporting large amounts of cash;arms transported along with other household goods as part of the process of moving.

I wonder if the Red Shirts have read this?

I am glad this popped up as i had a bit of a close encounter at my home the other day. A few days later i was walking down suki and wondered if I would get in trouble in the very unlikely event the police cam to my home and found a cosh or cs gas, something like that.

• 11 years later...
3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I would be surprised if they have a legal limit here like they do in other countries. It may be officers discretion if your caught.

probsably can carry a bazzoka if u pay a tip...

On 10/13/2010 at 5:34 PM, BWPattaya said:

If you were carrying a Swiss army penknife similar to a multi-function tool I think you would be ok. If you had some kichen knives that you had just bought in a shop, you may be able to explain why you were carring them. To be carrying any other type of knife is simply asking for trouble. I have seen people go looking for trouble and sure as eggs are eggs they find it. Then they wish it hadn't. So, really the question has got to be - why are you asking? Why do you want to carry? Finally, why haven't the mods closed this thread?

or be a goody goody and  turn around and get stabbed....