Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

Hi Lads,

I just bought the cbr 300, i would like to know what is the best sprocket

set up for to end.

I was thinking go up one tooth to 15 on the front

and down one on the rear or maybe even 2 if there's room without the chain rubbing the bolts.

has anyone tried this set up.

any help with this would be great.

Charlie

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even the "new" 300 (really 286cc) has no-where the power of the Kawasaki 300 Ninja. It will struggle to pull too high a gear , resulting in even slower acceleration.

To be honest

,I really couldn't care less if the "new" 300 (really 286cc) has no-where the power of the Kawasaki 300 Ninja.

I did not buy this machine to race, i bought if because im a Honda guy

also in my opinion, which i dont try to ram down people's throat

its a much better looking bike then the kawasaki

best thing to do is jump onto your snot colored 300.

Thats if you even have one and go pass as many

cbr 250 and the "new" 300 (really 286cc) you can find

Then go on the kawa fourm and tell every one how great you are.

My question was about gearing for the "new" 300 (really 286cc)

and im fully aware of the losses and gains.

Regards

Charlie

Even the "new" 300 (really 286cc) has no-where the power of the Kawasaki 300 Ninja. It will struggle to pull too high a gear , resulting in even slower acceleration.

To be honest

,I really couldn't care less if the "new" 300 (really 286cc) has no-where the power of the Kawasaki 300 Ninja.

Regards

Charlie

you can find many sprocket options for cbr250 so probably they fit cbr300 too.

check mocyc.com and search for cbr250 and shops that sell products for it. sure you can find something.

I recommend better acceleration than top speed for it though.

To be honest

Regards

Charlie

you can find many sprocket options for cbr250 so probably they fit cbr300 too.

check mocyc.com and search for cbr250 and shops that sell products for it. sure you can find something.

I recommend better acceleration than top speed for it though.

thanks or the link ll2, i would normaly gear it for acceleration when living in the city.

but im out in the stick with alot of my driving is on main roads with a huge amount of HVG'S.

I want the higher top end for 120 kpm cruse with out her screaming.

i dont have to worry about been beaten from a standing start out here, just tractors and scooters laugh.png

• 4 weeks later...

Wow... I can't believe I have wasted hours over the last week or so reading (or at least scanning) this huge, but inane thread. My apologies for adding to the garbage, but I feel the need to vent. I promise to add useful stuff in my next post.

I have to say that if Tony (BigBikeKnobBKK) had not repeatedly posted the same garbage it would've helped – that would have saved ten pages. He is like the drunken bar bore, endlessly spewing the same garbage... Tony, please go and ride, at least that way nobody can hear you, or have to read your repetitive childish rubbish!!!

So... an attempt at sharing some useful information:

1. They are getting cheaper. I just bought a nice non-ABS CBR250R with 27k kms on the clock for 57,000 Baht - scooter prices! thumbsup.gif

2. I replaced the original IRC tyres because of reading so much about them not being great in the wet (although they felt fine to me in the dry). I fitted Pirelli Sport Dragons at Piston Shop in Chiang Mai - balanced and fitted for only 3,900 Baht - and these are lovely boots, in the dry and the wet!

3. The best change I have made is swapping the standard 14T front sprocket for a 13T. With my 85kgs it would never pull high revs in top gear anyway. I am now at an indicated 165kmph at 9,500 revs, and 155 at 8,500 revs. I know these are now false speed readings, over by about 10%, but the bike FEELS great now - transformed! The bike feels much more responsive, pulls better from low revs, etc. See a full discussion of this and lots of other interesting CBR stuff at the CBR & Ninja Club Chiang Mai Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cbrninjaclubchiangmai/ That page has a lot more useful stuff going on than this forum... Go take a look!

4. I have fitted a super cheap replacement exhaust, labelled as Tsugiki and purchased from Saengchai Honda spares on Kaew Nawarat road in Chiang Mai. It cost only 1600 Baht, is stamped as street legal (certificate of this included). It is a little louder and a nicer sounding than the stock exhaust, and although not gorgeous, it certainly looks a lot better - at least to my eyes. Pictured below.

I hope some of this info is useful to somebody! wai.gif

post-65768-0-17440400-1406790020_thumb.j

So... an attempt at sharing some useful information:

1. They are getting cheaper. I just bought a nice non-ABS CBR250R with 27k kms on the clock for 57,000 Baht - scooter prices! thumbsup.gif

2. I replaced the original IRC tyres because of reading so much about them not being great in the wet (although they felt fine to me in the dry). I fitted Pirelli Sport Dragons at Piston Shop in Chiang Mai - balanced and fitted for only 3,900 Baht - and these are lovely boots, in the dry and the wet!

3. The best change I have made is swapping the standard 14T front sprocket for a 13T. With my 85kgs it would never pull high revs in top gear anyway. I am now at an indicated 165kmph at 9,500 revs, and 155 at 8,500 revs. I know these are now false speed readings, over by about 10%, but the bike FEELS great now - transformed! The bike feels much more responsive, pulls better from low revs, etc. See a full discussion of this and lots of other interesting CBR stuff at the CBR & Ninja Club Chiang Mai Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cbrninjaclubchiangmai/ That page has a lot more useful stuff going on than this forum... Go take a look!

4. I have fitted a super cheap replacement exhaust, labelled as Tsugiki and purchased from Saengchai Honda spares on Kaew Nawarat road in Chiang Mai. It cost only 1600 Baht, is stamped as street legal (certificate of this included). It is a little louder and a nicer sounding than the stock exhaust, and although not gorgeous, it certainly looks a lot better - at least to my eyes. Pictured below.

I hope some of this info is useful to somebody! wai.gif

attachicon.gif2014-07-31 09.17.56.jpg

isnt this the same pipe on old carbed cbr150r?

and this is a forum, not an encyclopedia! sometime valuable info sometime usual blah blah.

Wow... I can't believe I have wasted hours over the last week or so reading (or at least scanning) this huge, but inane thread. My apologies for adding to the garbage, but I feel the need to vent. I promise to add useful stuff in my next post.

I have to say that if Tony (BigBikeKnobBKK) had not repeatedly posted the same garbage it would've helped – that would have saved ten pages. He is like the drunken bar bore, endlessly spewing the same garbage... Tony, please go and ride, at least that way nobody can hear you, or have to read your repetitive childish rubbish!!!

Those were the days, I do miss his colourful posts smile.png

Well he hasn't been posting mainly because he thinks TV is shit and because he's been riding across the northern USA and Canada with his son..a couple of thousand miles.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well he hasn't been posting mainly because he thinks TV is shit and because he's been riding across the northern USA and Canada with his son..a couple of thousand miles.

Another thread of hundreds of photos of roads and his son eating crap will no doubt be coming to the other channel soon...

Another thread of hundreds of photos of roads and his son eating crap will no doubt be coming to the other channel soon...

Well not being American and not ever seeing said roads I quite like them. I also like to see a proud dad!

You don't have to read it!

We lowered my wife's CBR recently. We did it by extending the swingarm linkage. We can do it here at Sumet for other CBRs if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Brian

I also would like to slightly lower my CBR250 in this way (I have already shaved the seat). Does anyone know where I could get this done in Chiang Mai? Also, how much it is likely to cost?

Thank you.

• 6 months later...

I noticed that I just hit 80,000km on my CBR250.

photo0916.jpg

It's pretty much exactly 50 months old which averages 50km per day. Which is pretty much my daily commute from my house to my work and back, so no real surprise.

It gets run hard every day, and hasn't missed a beat in probably 50k km.

A few small things like a rubber oil seal or two, a cam chain tensioner every 20-30k km and that's about it. I'm doing a fine job of running it into the ground and it keeps on going without so much as a wimper. Will expect to smash her for at least 300k km until I give her away to some local lad.

These things go 50-60k used, if someone's looking for a cheap, reliable bike to smash around the place, you could do worse.

I put on an aftermarket exhaust system, aftermarket airfilter, 13T front sprocket, all of which really improve her small amount of power. Will get the EJK fuel controller when I get round to it, and that will probably be it for mods.

• 7 months later...

So I guess this is the main CBR250 thread.

I just saw on a Thai site about the parts needed to 'upgrade' the piston to the 286cc in the 300.

Which might be on interest to people.

12074960_900009780052975_125435527725477

12065834_900009840052969_519917301829913

12033061_900009836719636_189098011651076

12031568_900009846719635_901232146617901

8,500 baht for the OEM parts.

How well it would run, and reliability would be a guess.

Don't blame me if you end up with a piston sticking out of yer engine. :D

Cheers.

I thought it would have happened a lot sooner than this.

I thought the Thais would have done this long ago, as soon as it came out.

It's surprising that a few of the backyard shops didn't put together a conversion package for a set price - get all the 286cc pieces from the new version put into the old one.

Would be interesting to know if it all works without comprimising the rest of the engine. An extra 36 or 37cc for 8.5k baht would certainly be the best bang for buck as far as mods go. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi to the forum.

I do have a question to the CB250/300 riders.

I'm looking for a reliable honda shop/mechanic, for the valve check/clearance thing.

I still have some thousand km left and I wouldn't worry, to do that as part of a longer trip.

I simple have neither trust in the mechanics/shops I was already, nor do I wanna do it myself.

The area I'm looking for, is Bangkok and the south.

If someone knows reliable dealer in Pattaya or in Phuket, the one day waiting time could be easily bypassed.

But even Hat Yai, Krabi, Sonkla, it really doesn't matter.

What do I mean with reliable:

Common spareparts in stock (Oilfilter, shims, spark plug, ...)

The dealer should have done the oil filter change, at the 1000km service, to 100% ;-)

I know a couple of bikes, not only 250's, the oil filter was silver, at a filter change around 6-8000 km

Which is suggesting, minimum the filter didn't get changed.

Best the owner has seen them, having the valves checked, too.

Also it would ne nice, to get this kind of feedback from someone, who has done the 24000km valve clearance check.

And is sure, it really happened.

(btw, how much do they charge for valve clearance?)

Would be nice, if they had original Honda synthetic Oil, too.

And please, don't write about 'not good service locations'!

I'm only interested in good service workshops, by own experience.

I know already too many bad ones ;-)

Thanks.

And as I said, I'm open minded with the next roundtrip.

I care the quality, not the distance!

Many people have had problems with the "Honda" fitters and their standard of work at "Honda" service centres. Many have the work done , due to warranty concerns , then take it to a quality technician for the work to be checked / rectified. Some find the work hasnt been done.

I was still hopeful.

That it is maybe, like it was with the wave/dreams:

Every now and then, there is one in a Honda shop, who likes to know, what he is doing.

Also I thought, I give it a little time, not every CB rider will show up in thaivisa, every day.

Maybe I should try it up north, and not in the south? ;-)

Thanks for your answers DLang and jeff.

It looks like, it comes all to this:

"Some find the work hasnt been done"

In the end.

That's actually why I'm always staying aside, in a garage, during they are working at a bike of mine.

Actually, many shops already stoped the thing, of showing/giving you back the old parts, they changed with new ones.

Any thoughts about that?

;-)

Still checking on this, have about a month left, or so.

Maybe someone can suggest a quality technician for the CBR250R

In the Bkk's metropolitan area or all the south.

Who would be proud about, to show his workmanship.

Instead off worrying, what one can see, to complain about the service!

Brian at sumet cycle has good recommendations and he sponsors the forum so easy to find,there is bad workmanship through out the whole world,it's not really that hard to find a good mechanic here ,failing that I recommend learn a bit of basic maintenance your self.

Thanks!

In case I have to, I will do it myself.

But what is wrong, with looking for a shop, who has (proven) done this procedure already?

Because I am lazy.

Don't have all needed toys, I guess.

Don't wanna park my bike some days, till I get the shims, if needed.

And don't get it, anyway!

Ap-Honda is asking for a 1000km check on the valves, so every CBR250/300R should have had it in a couple of weeks/month after buying it, right?

And still no rider can be / is sure about, that his service garage did it?

AP, you need to change something, methinks!

Really you are complaining about stuff before it's even. Happened ,maybe listening to to many horror stories or just talk with people that complain to much either way you are going in with a negative atitude ,I don't think any bike needs it's valves checked at 1000km.there are millions of bikes sold here and no roadside recovery available ,yet you don't see bikes broken down at the side of the road. So they can't be doing to bad with there servicing......any way I have given you a recommendation up to you if you take it.

Really you are complaining about stuff before it's even. Happened

Actually, isn't that the main reason for worrying (I call it planning) in the first place?

People don't want some things to happen at all!

So you better start looking, before you have to do this 'some things'.

But like there is no need, to check on the valve clearance, after 1000km

there is no need to change the filter at 1000km, right?

First filter change at 8k km it is?

However there is a need to change the oil every 2 to 3k km. If you ask the dealership.

And sometimes you even have to insist on a different kind of oil. Or get the Honda wave stuff.

Doesn't matter, what Honda is trying to tell/teach the mechanics

I'm really happy that allways people now it much better, as even the developer and builder of the machine is thinking.

;-)

Will change, as soon the labour prices will rise to western standards, methinks!

Indeed, you gave me a recommandation with sumet. Thank you for this part of your post ;-)

But is it ok with you, that I still try to find someone with first hand good experience in a(nother) workshop?

Much apreciated!

I searched in the CBR250 thaivisa topics a bit.

There are questions like mine.

And recommendations like yours.

But no afterwork reviews/feedbacks.

What do you think, why is it that way?

The main Honda dealers in Sukhumvit 71 (next to Max Value) are the main parts supplier for other Honda dealers in the area, so they should have your parts to hand.

Apart from one bad experience they have been pretty good in the few years I have been using them for my CBR and Airblade. I would recommend Brian too.

You may have to get it checked at a "dealer" in order to keep the warranty good , and get the service book stamped. Sumet have a good reputation , and have been recommended by taninthai , who knows his bikes. Get the Honda dealer to do the warranty work , then go to Sumet and explain your concerns to Brian .Leave the bike with him , and arrange to watch the mechanic re-check the work the following day. I know this may be a pain , but its the only way to both get the service / warranty book stamped , and ensure the job is done correctly. Ive no connection to Sumet , or imply they need their work watching !. If you use them , or another independent mechanic , let us know the results. Good service takes some tracking down.

Archived