Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

I imagine that as the reality sinks in the second hand Ninjettes will get cheaper, maybe even the new ones might have to be cheaper!

The Ninjette was getting about a 20% increase with aftermarket exhaust systems, so will be interesting to see what improvement there will be for the CBR.

20%.

That's quite an increase. Given the better low end grunt the CBR supposedly has, adding even close to 20% to the top end would be very nice one would imagine.

The exhaust on the CBR250 looks and sounds lame. I had the original muffler/can on my old CBR150 gutted and repacked; it seemed to make a difference.

I had an aftermarket on my baby cbr, and it added at least 10% to both acceleration and top end speed. Don't tell anyone on here that though, because it's in your head due to the increase in sound, it only sounds faster apparently. :rolleyes:

get rid of the cat, open up the outlet

I agree, it will be something that I will look at doing in the future.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another test ride review. He hit an indicated 140 kph at the end of Bira straight but the bike can do a bit more than that.

http://www.motorcycl...view-90193.html

Interesting thanks.

I ride from BKK to Aranyaprathet for the odd visa run. Always enjoyable and a nice 500km (round trip) of getting out of BKK. about 3 or 4 lenghts of straight highway, 40km or so in lenght that you can pin the throttle for minutes on end. Next visa run is early Feb. Have never looked forward to one so much in my life. :) The 250 should be well broken in by then.

If that chart is a standard CBR250 then yeah, it seems very optimistic. Refer to dave_boo's post #483. He calculated around 161 kph actual, and given that speedos always read high +8% gives an indicated 173. I prefer to trust dave's maths!

There is enough torque in the motor to muck around with the final drive gearing. If can easily extract 10-20% extra power by changing the exhaust, then definitely can go for taller gearing and high top speed.

Interesting graph, Where did it stem from? I doubt from Honda??

I suspect the only way we would see the suggested 180kph on our CBR250s in top gear...... would be in a vertical descent!!! Then even Hondas C-ABS wouldnt be sufficient!! :rolleyes: to pull up in time for the next 90 deg corner!!:blink:

However on another note.....The following report extract from a 250cc bike comparison, (sourced from the link posted just above) puts the "reported" power of the CBR 250 in a more than favourable light compared to the Ninja 250. But maybe a dyno test would also reveal differening figures from the Honda???

The comment of the second paragraph is what will let the Honda win sales hands down!!

Of the 2008 overhaul, Kawasaki says 70% of the 250R’s Parallel-Twin has been re-designed, including new cams and a revised cylinder head, to result in a claimed 30% bump in mid-range power. Regardless of claims, dyno results showed the Ninja churned out the most power in the group, with 24.6 hp at 10,500 rpm and 12.6 ft-lbs at 9,750 rpm.

Impressive figures in this crowd, but who wants to scream around at 10K rpm all the time? The reality is that most folks gleefully whipping around on the Ninja will be doing so on surface streets. The engine will spend the majority of its time in lower rpms in this environment, and it’s at these lower revs where the Kawi suffers

Going to be some interesting reading once a few CBR 250 buyers get a few km under their tyres.

If that chart is a standard CBR250 then yeah, it seems very optimistic. Refer to dave_boo's post #483. He calculated around 161 kph actual, and given that speedos always read high +8% gives an indicated 173. I prefer to trust dave's maths!

There is enough torque in the motor to muck around with the final drive gearing. If can easily extract 10-20% extra power by changing the exhaust, then definitely can go for taller gearing and high top speed.

That graph is apparently spot on; I was under the impression that 10 000 RPM was the top end....

If you (not you specifically) wish to challenge my math, do it yourself; (Engine RPM)/(Primary Gearing)/(Whatever Gear You're in Gearing)/(Final Gearing)=X ((Engine RPM)/(2.808)/(0.963)/(2.714) for the CBR 250R in stock mode). "X" describes how many revolutions the rear tyre is making at that point compared to the engine's RPM.

Knowing the rear tyre's circumference (if you're figuring a 140/70-17, than (2)*(140)*(0.70)=diameter of tyre (2 is in there because you have a portion of the tyre on top and bottom of the wheel), (17)*(25.4)=diameter of wheel. Add diameter of wheel and tyre (627.8 mm) and multiply that total by pi (3.1415) to get your circumference (1972.2). Granted that will be in mm and you want to know km/h, so divide that answer by one million (0.0019722). Remember that's the distance, in km, traveled by each rotation of the wheel.

Go back to the first part of the math and get "X" and multiply it by the circumference. That's distance traveled in one minute (we multiplied the engine's RPMinute--2.69 km for the CBR 250R at 10000 RPM). Multiply by 60 to get your distance traveled in one hour (161.24 km). Since you're figuring distance traveled in one hour, naturally that's your km/h...

However, if the CBR 250R actually revs out to ~10 750 than 173 km/h is still within the realm of 'mathematical' possibilty...

To other posters; I didn't get a chance to ride the CBR 250R, so I can't comment on the vibrations; but if Honda only managed to quell them with the counterbalancer to 80% of what Kawasaki's twin can put out, then long runs at 8500+ (max HP) won't be bad at all. I got to ride the Tiger Boxer for quite a time redlined and if it has a counterbalancer it's the size of a (small) tea saucer and I wasn't too put off.

The CBR250 might at max. power be a fast bike, but I do not think it is going to survive that for very long time. End performance in the real world depend on wind, road and weight of the driver.

I was told by someone from Honda (well from the Mitayon family) that he did drive the CBR at 150km/h at BIRCA. He is a Thai guy, not big or heavy maybe about 75kg.

I actually do not understand where all that 165kg weight from the bike is coming from? I mean a ER6N is "only" 200kg and much more bike.

I think if you want to ride a real motorbike and can / want to spend a bit more money (well more as the double) then buy a bigger cc bike. In the end the CBR250 will be lacking the real power on the highway. But on the other hand pric-wise it is a good bike.

Chang Noi

Was looking around to see if i could find any info on the Mugen and Moriwaki versions of the CBR250. Maybe someone else has better luck. All i could find on the Mugen was a 'staff blog' of the Thai unveiling.

http://www.mugen-power.com/staffblog/msb/index.php

But they do have some parts for the VTR250 and the muffler looks to be the same as they used on the CBR250. Price (in Japan) is approx THB 27,000

post-70604-0-38407500-1291991570_thumb.j

http://www.mugen-power.com/motorcycles/vtr/exhaust.html

The CBR250 might at max. power be a fast bike, but I do not think it is going to survive that for very long time. End performance in the real world depend on wind, road and weight of the driver.

I was told by someone from Honda (well from the Mitayon family) that he did drive the CBR at 150km/h at BIRCA. He is a Thai guy, not big or heavy maybe about 75kg.

I actually do not understand where all that 165kg weight from the bike is coming from? I mean a ER6N is "only" 200kg and much more bike.

I think if you want to ride a real motorbike and can / want to spend a bit more money (well more as the double) then buy a bigger cc bike. In the end the CBR250 will be lacking the real power on the highway. But on the other hand pric-wise it is a good bike.

Chang Noi

That is exactly Michael's point. Michael is a fellow condo owner here in my building, a German, who owns a ER6N. He had two or three Phantoms before. When he saw pictures I showed him of the 250 c.c. V-twin it was rumored here that Honda would soon be introducing in Thailand, Michael exclaimed to me, "That could be my next bike!" Mike had to get a new bike and couldn't wait any longer,so he settled on the ER6N. He doesn't like it much. Says it's too much bike for driving around here. Handling is not the best in city driving for one thing. And the fuel economy...he just laughed and said, "Maybe 15 kilometers per liter. On a good day." But he went to the Philippines and he asked me to wait up on him and not go see the new Honda 250 CBR at Big C in South Pattaya so that we could look at one together as soon as he returns. I'll bet he's going to like this new Honda single a lot more than his ER6N, mainly because the ER6N is as you say, a lot more machine than the CBR 250 R

As for your weight figures, you claim the ER6N is 35 kilos more than the HOnda 250 CBR. That's 77 pounds more which is a lot. And if I recall my first bike a Honda 350 CB which actually displaced only 325 cc's weighed about 350 pounds. The figures I've seen from Honda on the 250 CBR are 347 pounds wet, which is a bit less than your 165 kg weight. I'd suggest the smaller 250 single cylinder engine weighs less than the 325 c.c. twin but the new Honda 250 has perhaps larger wheels and tires so it comes out at about a wash.

Edited by jackcorbett

What do you think guys about the resale value of ABS version? Is it possible to get the 16,000 thb difference or something reasonable back if we will need to sell it?

Some Thai friends mentioned to me that it is hard and i am really septic on ABS version right now - and also impatient to wait for it.rolleyes.gif

I am aware of the fact that, there cannot be any discussions on safety but I wanna ride it as fast as i can man and 16,000 thb extra is something for my Thai Salary.

I think in the automotive and motorcycle marketplace you will not get back the full value difference of options when you resell.

Best to figure on getting Bt. 5-10,000 back. So you could ask that much more than a non-abs model. But it's a free-for-all in the used market! :D

Trying to buy one.

Been in two dealers today, and on the phone to another. Got my cash and everything ready.

All saying that they only produce 30 units per day (compared to about 1000+ scooters produced per day), so minimal quantities will be dripping their way into the dealers. One had one coming, maroon/silver, 16-18th. 110,000 on the road.

Next dealer:

2 coming around 16-19th. One maroon one black. 110,000 otr. I said fine, I want the black one, I'll pay a deposit right now to garauntee it's mine. Cannot. Have to wait for it to arrive. Was talking to the more clued-in sales lady just after who said they haven't been told what colours are coming. After pestering them about paying a deposit right now she completely 100% garuanteed that the first one is mine and they'll call me as soon it arrives. Then quietly added that they'll want to keep it on the shop floor for 3 days so people can see it.

I myself am expecting to wait about a month for the black/silver model to be be slowly released unto the public.

110,000 on the road is also a bit more than I've read it should be, both dealers had this same number.

If anyone knows a place where they'll actually take a deposit, and know what's going on, I'm all ears.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Edited by appropriate

And different dealers give different answers. One promised me one this week (so I pulled out my credit card), but the next day he changed the date to 27th. But he did me a favour, and got in touch with another dealer who promised me one on the 16th.

Sorry - I am not trying to be coy, but I don't want to say which dealer - they seem to be 'doing me a solid' and I don't want to <deleted> it up...

I wanted black, and everybody said January, maybe February. ABS (which I didn't really care about) is also sometime next year.

So I am getting RED - I'm gonna paint it black (you devils!).

102,900bt with full-face helmet (DOT!), and the Platinum Package (roadside assistance and scheduled maintenance).

That's a very good deal. Including registration, tax and insurance?

2 BKK dealers quoted 110k even. And wouldn't even take a deposit on them at that.

When my wife and I went to Honda for the test drive of the 150, when I came back to the dealer I sat down with my wife and we discussed the "pros & cons" of 150 vs 250. Price wasn't an issue, so that was a "non factor". What it boiled down to was how I was going to be using the bike. As I've stated before, half my driving is on the highway, the other half in the city, so I need a bike that will perform well in both. I had rented a Ninja 250 for a couple of days, as I was thinking of buying the black/white one, and while it was great on the highways, weaving in and out of city traffic was not so easy at times due to size and weight. When it was all said and done, it was the weight factor, and traffic maneuverability that made me decide on the 150 over the 250.

For those who go for the 250, I've no doubts they'll love it as much as I do the 150, but for me, for all around purposes, the 150 was, and is the better choice. No problems in city traffic, and easily cruses at 115-120 on the highway, which is fine. At 61 my "need for speed" isn't quite as great as it was when I was 21, or 31. haha.

Next month I'll probably switch to Michelin or Dunlap tires and get rid of the IRC's, and if I can get a K&N air filter, even better. I've contacted the K&N dealers in BKK, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

But whichever bike you decide on, have fun and ride safe.

U.S promotional vid:

looks sexy as hell dressed in all black. Pity that livery won't be available here.

Not sure where you are, but I know of a shop here in Chiang Mai that sells helmets, and tons of accessories for bikes, INCLUDING the full racing gear as featured in the video. I'm sure there's a lot of shops in BKK that do the same, as well as other cities.

I have a REAL helmet, which I love, and the Honda Racing jacket with the padded back, shoulders, elbows and underside of forearms, but if I do the road trips I'm planning after the first of the year, I'll go buy the leather one, as well as pants and the reinforced boots for the highway driving. And I can get it all at one shop.

U.S promotional vid:

looks sexy as hell dressed in all black. Pity that livery won't be available here.

Not sure where you are, but I know of a shop here in Chiang Mai that sells helmets, and tons of accessories for bikes, INCLUDING the full racing gear as featured in the video. I'm sure there's a lot of shops in BKK that do the same, as well as other cities.

I have a REAL helmet, which I love, and the Honda Racing jacket with the padded back, shoulders, elbows and underside of forearms, but if I do the road trips I'm planning after the first of the year, I'll go buy the leather one, as well as pants and the reinforced boots for the highway driving. And I can get it all at one shop.

Say mate I'm looking for a quality helmet... where might I find that shop in Chiang Mai?

Cheers

U.S promotional vid:

Say mate I'm looking for a quality helmet... where might I find that shop in Chiang Mai?

Cheers

Martiny, I know of 3 shops in CM that sell about every type of helmet available in Thailand, but can only give you directions to one for sure.

I'll send you a PM with what should be fairly easy directions. lol

Edited by Just1Voice

Thanks, but:

I was refering to the bike. :D

Not the man.

Me likes all black also, my plan is to get the thai black and paint the grey parts black which is not much.

post-77479-0-15868900-1292154299_thumb.j

Thanks, but:

Not the man.

Me likes all black also, my plan is to get the thai black and paint the grey parts black which is not much.

Also an option is to buy those faring parts from the black 150, as they have the all black version.

Any news on delivery for the black/silver model? I'm hearing mid-late January. With only the maroon/silver coming first.

Edited by appropriate

Thanks, but:

Not the man.

Also an option is to buy those faring parts from the black 150, as they have the all black version.

Any news on delivery for the black/silver model? I'm hearing mid-late January. With only the maroon/silver coming first.

why i should get new fairings when painting is cheaper and less action.

I think nobody really knows which colors will come as before lets wait and see until first bikes hits the dealers, which is not even sure as the official honda statement was the 10th rolleyes.gif

U.S promotional vid:

Cheers

Martiny, I know of 3 shops in CM that sell about every type of helmet available in Thailand, but can only give you directions to one for sure.

I'll send you a PM with what should be fairly easy directions. lol

Can you send it to me also J1 ...Thanks

Better quality for one thing.

Exact colour matching for a second.

Small scratches won't show up silver, for a third.

Time may well have a different affect on both surfaces, for a forth.

And getting some small pieces of fairing from Honda is probably not 'less action' than getting the original pieces painted btw.

Edited by appropriate

Better quality for one thing.

Exact colour matching for a second.

Small scratches won't show up silver, for a third.

Time may well have a different affect on both surfaces, for a forth.

And getting some small pieces of fairing from Honda is probably not 'less action' than getting the original pieces painted btw.

The parts quality will get worse if i paint them? I think Honda can provide exact colors. If its gets paint properly i wont think there will be any difference. And by the way the fairings of the 150 and 250 are not same and the pieces aren't that small. Sure it wont be that expensive but compared to a paint job it is.

post-77479-0-54735000-1292168659_thumb.j

If you paint a red bike a deep dark red. A black-red. Really dark, but still a touch red...

Do you have to change the registration?

ps - good paint job - 5000

plastic - 8-10,000?

Edited by wjmark