The Five Factors Powering The Android Revolution

Tywais

5. Anti-Apple sentiment

4. The power of the Google brand

3. Ecosystem melee

2. Developer momentum

1. Relentless innovation

"With so many different stakeholders — tech manufacturers, wireless carriers, software developers, and Google itself — betting on Android, 2010 has witnessed an almost-continual parade of new Android devices, Android apps, custom Android UIs, and new Android partners."

Source - ZDnet

Here's my list:

#1 - No iPhone on Verizon (USA)

#2 - AT&T completely useless(USA)

#3 - Android is the only competitive mobile OS for companies that don't have one of their own: HTC, Motorola, SE, Nokia once they come to their senses which may be never, and all kinds of Chinese mobile makers which will switch from pirated WinMo copies to Android in the non too distant future.

Low end smartphones I see as the biggest potential right now. The chinese brands with large screens, keyboards, etc may not be as fancy as an iPhone - but they can offer a pretty compelling package of features at a very low price, like $100 or even less. Once they run Android - wow! Nokia will hurt the most but the high end will feel it a little too.

Bottom line: Unless you're Apple, or Blackberry, you'll be better off using Android. And that is what fuels the "Android revolution" more than anything else.

Anti-Apple sentiment is something that only ZDNet could come up with. Total BS. It would be more correct to say people like choices. Choices of carriers, of manufacturers, of hardware, of features. No single company can own all.

Edited by nikster

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree with the Anti-Apple comment. I am very much anti apple, and I know alot of people who are. Andriod is pretty much open; look at the number of custom roms that are being churned out by enthusiast groups on cyanogenmod and modaco? I have had some experience with these roms, and they are impressive. Only a matter of time before Google dominates the smartphone space (since WM7 is so closed/locked in and apple won't be able to keep up).

What is impeding the uptake of Andriod in Thailand is lack of decent mobile networks; we are talking 3G and the Thai politics/greed to control the 3G networks. Lets get this clear; this is not being done in a democratic way for the benefit of the population, its blantent corruption at the highest levels in Thai society.

The reason for the popularity of Blackberry is because Blackberry has jumped in to seize the opportunity because their technology can work on slow mobile networks. And with some good marketing and packaging you can create a craze. In reality most Thais have no idea of what a quality 3G network with iPhone/Andriod can do in mobilizing your Internet life. So Blackberry fills the gap (for now).

For me its the open platform and the appallingly rapid growth of Android. I couldn't care less who makes what device, things get judged on their merits. We have iPads and iPhones in the house but I find some of the design decisions utterly irritating (dare I say "stupid"). I find my Nexus One way more convenient than the iPhone (3Gs) and much more capable.

The development of Android is happening at a scary rate, 12 months from now iOS is going to look like a dinosaur (Blackberry and Nokia are dinosaurs that haven't realised they're dead yet).

The iPad is a beautiful piece of engineering and hands down the best tablet, it probably will be for a couple of years as nobody else can match the dedicated/optimised hardware - yet.

Nice post crushdepth.

I'm here in the US and agree a huge factor here is that iPhone is only as yet available on ATT network, which doesn't have great coverage and bandwidth.

For two years there have been rumors that Verizon will get the iPhone. The latest round actually appear to be accurate in saying it will come in 2011.

I've had trouble deciding on a smartphone because new models come out every time I blink. First I like the Incredible, then the Droid X, now I am favoring the Samsung Galaxy S (named Fascinate on Verizon).

At this point the Droid phones are getting so good that I am not sure if I would actually take a Verizon iPhone over a Droid.

(Sorry that wasn't completely Thailand related.)