How Much Is A New Honda Phantom ?

drfang

My question is: Why would you want one??? They may look ok, and might, and I stress "might" be a good, relatively comfortable cruising bike if you were going to do some traveling, as long as you weren't in a hurry, because they are slow as hel_l, taking forever to get to just 100kph. Not to mention way over priced as noted previously.

Currently, only a few Chinese manufacturers have comparable cruisers available in Thailand, with the Lifan LF250B (Custom 250) being probably the most popular and from the most reliable company.

I was told that the 250cc V-twin, Lifan LF250B sells for 79,000Bht.

c_lifan_lf250-b.jpg

Richard..............Where does it sell for 79,000b? Who sells it, where are the shops?

It gets a bit boring, but all motorcycles sold in China are not able to pass 100km/h, even the mighty Suzuki Hayabusa, or the super fast Yamaha YZF-R1 are all limited to not be able to ride faster than 100km/h. It's against the law in China to sell anything what enables the user to brake the law.

The Lifan LF250B, or Virago 250, or as Custom 250 as it's called in Thailand can easily pass the 100km/h and cruising speeds of 120km/h are very comfortable.

For expats living in Thailand it would be much easier to look at the USA Lifan website http://www.americanlifan.com

Edited by Richard-BKK

The Honda Phantom is under powered, as noted, but it is nonetheless a good, reliable motorcycle and a good choice for someone that wants a somewhat larger, heavier and more comfortable motorcycle than a small Click, Airblade or Nuovo--horses for courses. A used Phantom, in good condition and 3 years old for B60,000 and with less than 10k km would be a good choice in my opinion (I own one and am very happy with it, all-in-all). There is a 250 cc Yahamha twin V made in Malaysia that I heard was coming to Thailand. That would probably be a better choice than a Phantom if it is coming ant time soon, but if not, the Phantom may be your best option for an all around motorcycle. You might also look at/try a new PCX if most of your driving is around town--about B69k for a new one. The Lifan looks interesting, but I would be concerned with its reliability and getting it repaired should a problem arise. I think its time has not yet come...

The Honda Phantom is under powered, as noted, but it is nonetheless a good, reliable motorcycle and a good choice for someone that wants a somewhat larger, heavier and more comfortable motorcycle than a small Click, Airblade or Nuovo--horses for courses. A used Phantom, in good condition and 3 years old for B60,000 and with less than 10k km would be a good choice in my opinion (I own one and am very happy with it, all-in-all). There is a 250 cc Yahamha twin V made in Malaysia that I heard was coming to Thailand. That would probably be a better choice than a Phantom if it is coming ant time soon, but if not, the Phantom may be your best option for an all around motorcycle. You might also look at/try a new PCX if most of your driving is around town--about B69k for a new one. The Lifan looks interesting, but I would be concerned with its reliability and getting it repaired should a problem arise. I think its time has not yet come...

If you even think about the PCX, MAKE SURE you test drive one first. I did, and hated it. Even though I'm only 174cm tall, with the "bump" they have on the seat to separate driver & passenger, my knees were up against the front of the bike, and not at all comfortable. The ride itself was even more stiff than my CBR 150, and the acceleration on the highway was a joke. Left there, went straight to Yamaha and bought a new Nouvo Elegance for about 10,000 less that will run circles around the PCX.

Now I'm waiting for the new CBR 150 & 250 to come out. Cruisers a great, if that's what you're into, but I'm more a sports bike fan.

:rolleyes:

Richard..............Where does it sell for 79,000b? Who sells it, where are the shops?

Lifan has about 200 dealers in Thailand, they had a online list of the dealers but they removed that due to the fact that other manufacturers used that list to contact the dealers.

You best call Lifan Bangkok office and as for your nearest dealer by using your ZIP code. The telephone of the Bangkok office is 02 8954754, you can also visited them the address is Rama 2 Rd. Soi Thakam, take a u-turn at Soi Thongpan (Soi 8) and you find them directly next to the Chinese Vegetarian restaurant (they have a small showroom). They're open from Monday to Saturday, and most can speak Chinese, Thai and some English.

If you live in Bangkok I have the idea that you can buy it directly from the Lifan showroom in Soi Thakam...

For the 76,000 Bht, I'm not sure if that is including the register fee and needed 1-year insurance... So the on the road price can be 77,000 Bht.

If anyone considers the purchase of a Lifan, they must think about service. 200 dealers promising to sell the brand is one thing; the reality of good service and parts another. At the very least, a buyer should live in Bangkok near the mother office, speak Thai, or consider a translator. Moreover, it is certain that "dealers" will not have mechanics experienced with any of the models, however generic they seem.

On the other hand, the 250 is being offered in the U.S., and as Lifan is a huge manufacturer, the opportunity to create a market for themselves - knowing of Japanese and Korean experiences, that quality/price rule - should have not have been lost on them. Brand name acceptance is worth a huge fortune. It may well be that quality control is to be good.

On the other hand, price notwithstanding, both involve a large, if legal, gamble. In these regards, a second hand Phantom or Boss would involve better bets.

Speeds required figure too as noted above.

Edited by CMX

Thanks for the replies. I currently have a Honda Airblade, the shopping jeep. It has exellent low speed stability, which I need for the twisty sois where I live. I also have a Tiger Boxer 250rs. I have a love hate relationship with it, love it in the mountains, hate it in the city. The turning lock is akin to a SUV. Not a bike to take to tanin Market. I might rent a Phantom for a couple of days to see where it fits in between the Airblade and the Boxer.

BTW, is there a Lifan dealer in CM?

Thanks DrF

Dr fang if you like the Tiger but hate the forks wht don't you try a police boxer see if its any better then swop out the upside downs for standard forks... voila sorted... maybe. :D

Thaicbr,

drfang's issues aren't the forks really , but the turning lock position...this i recognized also when i first got my Boxer , after some time &rides it was kind of "normal" and no longer "recognizable" to me.

Not sure if the Boxer 200 has the turning lock in the same position...never checked on this really. Maybe i should crab one Police Boxers to check again.

If the OP is going for a "chopper"style Bike , the Lifan may be a viable option , but not to forget the kawasaki Boss 175 - from what i read & heard a decent quality "Chopper" which some preferred over the Phantom .

mbox

Mbox the steering lock is dictated by the upside down forks. The police bikes have a much better turning circle. Its coz the frame was designed for traditional forks NOT upside downs. So the triples end up closer to the frame.

Edited by thaicbr

Mbox the steering lock is dictated by the upside down forks. The police bikes have a much better turning circle.

I thought there was a "metal piece" on the "neck" that stopped...which was a bit too long and thus stopping it too early...cutting from this stopping "metal piece" a centimeter off on each side and i think it would be fine .

Not sure now, i could be wrong, as it was a little while ago since i had my Boxer 250 ...

mbox

thats correct. this is because the top tubes of the upside down forks are a bigger diameter. Thats why there is the slight problem. Possibly a careful filing would give you back the steering range. BUT you would have to be careful ya didnt go to far and weaken it. 

thats correct. this is because the top tubes of the upside down forks are a bigger diameter. Thats why there is the slight problem. Possibly a careful filing would give you back the steering range. BUT you would have to be careful ya didnt go to far and weaken it.

I just had a look and yes, grinding the stop plate would give a small increase in the turning ability of the forks. To much and the upper fork clamp would hit the tank cover. Replacing the whole set up with police boxer forks would improve the turning radius, but would negate whatever handling benifits upside down forks provide. A better long term solution for the manufacturer would be to redesign the tank covers with a indent such as the beautiful Moto Guzzi 750 sport ( sigh) has.

We dream on.

DrF