The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

On 22 January 2018 at 5:45 PM, siam2007 said:

The only improvement to be seen is the fact that they now plan to convert the useless and completely unused small luggage carriage at the end of each train and fit it with seats so this carriage will be turned into a regular passenger carriage. It should increase the number each train can carry by maybe 10-15%

From my understanding 2 or 3 of the 4 old Express trains should have already have been converted by now? All 4 were finally meant to be done by early Feb.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/01/2018 at 10:46 PM, Lakegeneve said:

From my understanding 2 or 3 of the 4 old Express trains should have already have been converted by now? All 4 were finally meant to be done by early Feb.

Supposed to have been, but no, none of them have been (or at least I've never come across one and I use it pretty frequently).

On 27 January 2018 at 2:42 PM, josephbloggs said:

Supposed to have been, but no, none of them have been (or at least I've never come across one and I use it pretty frequently).

Sounds about right then, it is the SRTET after all!. The last 3 times I've taken the ARL it has been city line stock so I haven't seen the express stock for a few months now.

• 4 weeks later...

Construction has begun on the yellow line along LadPrao Road.

Have already feeling the traffic squeeze there due to works on the Green line (Removal of the Ratcha Yothin flyover and the Ladprao intersection) but now large parts of the main Ladprao road to Bang Kapi is down  to two lanes while they commandeer the central section.

11 minutes ago, FarangryBirds said:

Construction has begun on the yellow line along LadPrao Road.

Have already feeling the traffic squeeze there due to works on the Green line (Removal of the Ratcha Yothin flyover and the Ladprao intersection) but now large parts of the main Ladprao road to Bang Kapi is down  to two lanes while they commandeer the central section.

I feel for you I lived for years near the construction of the purple line... i hated the traffic jams it caused but now it is finally there I love that there is a MRT.

22 hours ago, robblok said:

I feel for you I lived for years near the construction of the purple line... i hated the traffic jams it caused but now it is finally there I love that there is a MRT.

It's good to see that you are enjoying the benefits of the MRT Purple line!  At least the Purple line opened only 18 months late, the Blue line ext will open nearly 4 years later than originally scheduled!

There's a little bit of a disconnect the world over where people want improvements, but often don't want to endure the period of time it takes in which to implement them. As I mentioned in the last update, "Currently, some 140kms of new lines are under construction ". 

By the first half of next year we could be looking at an additional 59kms U/C (Purple south ext 23.6km, Orange west 17.5km, Blue west 8km, Dark Red north 10km) minus the 11.4km Samrong to Kheha SP. That would be a total of some 188kms under construction. Essentially, the critical phase of developing the mass transit network that was expected in early 2014. 

Wait until that time to see what the complaints are by drivers around Bangkok! 

On 23-2-2018 at 4:17 PM, Lakegeneve said:

It's good to see that you are enjoying the benefits of the MRT Purple line!  At least the Purple line opened only 18 months late, the Blue line ext will open nearly 4 years later than originally scheduled!

There's a little bit of a disconnect the world over where people want improvements, but often don't want to endure the period of time it takes in which to implement them. As I mentioned in the last update, "Currently, some 140kms of new lines are under construction ". 

By the first half of next year we could be looking at an additional 59kms U/C (Purple south ext 23.6km, Orange west 17.5km, Blue west 8km, Dark Red north 10km) minus the 11.4km Samrong to Kheha SP. That would be a total of some 188kms under construction. Essentially, the critical phase of developing the mass transit network that was expected in early 2014. 

Wait until that time to see what the complaints are by drivers around Bangkok! 

Its not that I use it that much, but occasionally and it is much handier to get into the central of BKK. Luckily the area where i lived was not as busy as where they are constructing new mass transit now. So they will hit extra hard. During construction it is hell and construction usually takes many years. 

One of the perks of srinakarin road (for a decent chunk of it anyway) is that it already has a section in the centre that was used as a water canal so they at least have the extra space and don't need to fully close it from 3 lanes to 2 for the entire construction period. 

Progress is being made quite quickly on the yellow line now. Lots of now dormant empty shop fronts in preparation for the station construction.  

Can't wait for it personally. 

On 25 February 2018 at 2:55 AM, DDBKK said:

One of the perks of srinakarin road (for a decent chunk of it anyway) is that it already has a section in the centre that was used as a water canal so they at least have the extra space and don't need to fully close it from 3 lanes to 2 for the entire construction period. 

For which most of the last 2-3 years the Rural roads dept was upgrading Srinakarin road and rebuilt the drainage canal. Now some of that work will be ripped up for the Yellow line. Similar to the fact that 2 years before construction started of the current BTS extension beyond Bearing (currently to Samrong), the whole of Sukhumvit rd to Samut Prakhan had large road lighting towers installed down the medium strip. Which all then had to all be taken away when they BTS viaduct was being built!

1 minute ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Can anyone tell me if there are any quiet- ish times to go on the skytrain or is it always packed. I presume extreme peak is 7-9 am and 5-7 pm. 

Mid morning and mid afternoon tend to tail off (there's a lunch time peak), but even then it's pretty busy.

[mention=103446]Lakegeneve[/mention] & [mention=14979]Crossy[/mention] I've seen the start of the work on SriNakarin for the Yellow (Monorail), on the maps it shows the southern termination @ SamRong, will it route down SriNakarin and then down Thaparak? Or some other route?

Regards
Andrew
Yep. It will swing a right at Thepparak Rd and then connect to BTS Samrong.

17 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Can anyone tell me if there are any quiet- ish times to go on the skytrain or is it always packed. I presume extreme peak is 7-9 am and 5-7 pm. 

They are the peak times, but other than those times its rarely packed. Yes there are often many people on and standing only, but that is no issue. It also obviously depends where or which way you are going. Even in peak times certain routes going certain areas are quiet.

I find anytime other than coming up the sukhumvit line from 6.30am fine.

19 hours ago, FarangryBirds said:
On 9 March 2018 at 4:18 PM, RetroGTAndrew said:
[mention=103446]Lakegeneve[/mention] & [mention=14979]Crossy[/mention] I've seen the start of the work on SriNakarin for the Yellow (Monorail), on the maps it shows the southern termination @ SamRong, will it route down SriNakarin and then down Thaparak? Or some other route?

Regards
Andrew

Yep. It will swing a right at Thepparak Rd and then connect to BTS Samrong.

Indeed.

Once the MRT Purple line southern ext is done to Rat Burana and the MRT Yellow line is completed to Samrong, the expectation is that one of these lines will be extended across the river and along Puchao Saming rd to provide a southern cross river connection.

I'd hazard a guess that it will eventually be the Purple line that is extended to Samrong. (Which will highlights one of the long term follies of changing the Yellow line from heavy rail to mono rail - it limits future network interoperablity and expansion.)

On 8 January 2018 at 5:58 PM, Lakegeneve said:

B ) LINES/EXTS TO BE TENDERED IN 2018:

10) Purple Line ext south. Taopoon to WWY then to Ratburna: 23.6 km. 17 stations (12.6km 10 stations underground, 11km 7 stations elevated). Note: Approved for tender by Cabinet on 25 July. Tender delayed due to PPP proposal. If construction starts by mid 2018, a 2024 is likely. 

Route: https://www.facebook.com/MRTA.PR/videos/1875103962706329

11) Orange Line Phase 2, west section: From TCC to Bang Khun Non (Charan Sawitwong rd). 17.5km, 13 stations underground. Tender delayed due to PPP proposal.
12) Blue Line west ext to Phutthamonthon sai 4: 7.8km, 4 stations elevated.

13) SRT Dark Red Line north ext suburban line from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni: 8.5kms, 4 stations

14) SRT Light Red line extension: Taling Chan to Salaya to Siraj, 13km, 6 stations

15) BTS S4 Suksa Wittaya station to be built in 2018.

16) BTS N6 Sena Ruam station to be built in 2018

C) LINES/EXTS TO BE TENDERED IN 2019-2020??

20) Airport Rail Link (ARL) extension from Phayathai to Bangsue to Don Meaung (DMK): 21.8km, 5 stations (much delayed)

A few updates;

1) The SRT Dark Red line ext from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni should be approved by Cabinet soon and tendered a few months later,

2) Likewise, the SRT Light Red line ext from Taling Chan to Salaya tender by July/August,

3) The Eastern HSR line has now advanced to preparation of a tender -reportedly by May. The ARL extension to DMK which is now part of the Eastern HSR line to U-Tapoa will thus finally be tendered. So we might  see work starting by early 2019 as this section is the 1st tender. Not quite the 2013 priority tender as it then was but getting there......(Which of course means working on this ext right alongside the Dark Red line works!)

4) Still expect the MRT Purple line southern ext and MRT Orange line western ext extensions to be tendered around mid year if not sooner for one of these.

• 2 weeks later...

It now appears that we'll have a further delay with the opening of the SRT Dark Red line even though civil works are 95% done. The opening may be delayed until mid 2021 now as JICA (who provided the loan for construction) wants to ensure proper training and maintenance is in place. 

A reminder that this project started construction in mid 2013 (after a 2 year contract delay) and was originally scheduled to be completed by the end of 2016. That became 2018 after some design changes were made, then 2020 and now......

If it takes effectively 10 years to build a 26km commuter line in BKK then how long will it take to build the whole 88km line to Mahachai? Another 2-3 decades?

4 minutes ago, FarangryBirds said:

Has the Green line extension been pushed back another couple of years? Signs all around Samut Prakan advertising the line have a hastily added 2563 sticker over the top of them.

The extension past Samrong (E15) to E23 is still scheduled for December 4th this year, in reality probably early/mid 2019.

The north extension is still on target for late 2020 but that may change.

The extension past Samrong (E15) to E23 is still scheduled for December 4th this year, in reality probably early/mid 2019.

Talking to my boss she seemed adamant it's been postponed until 2020 due to all the amended posters around Samut Prakan and Paknam showing 2163.

On 29 March 2018 at 3:28 AM, FarangryBirds said:
On 28 March 2018 at 7:09 PM, Crossy said:

Talking to my boss she seemed adamant it's been postponed until 2020 due to all the amended posters around Samut Prakan and Paknam showing 2163.

re you sure those posters are not referring to the next 7.5km extension south and Samut Prakan town hall is pushing for it to be tendered this year? It is not beyond reality that it could be done in 2-2.5 yrs. (2163 means 2164 anyway).

The south extension opening this year really depends if the MRTA and BKK City Hall can conclude an agreement to transfer the project.

For the North extension the first part of the extension should open in 2019 - either the 1 station to Central Lat Phrao or to Major Ratchayothin (less likely). I'm probably more optimistic than Crossy is believed that most of this extension will be open by early 2020.

• 2 months later...

ARL update:

On 3/10/2018 at 1:06 PM, Lakegeneve said:

A few updates;

3) The Eastern HSR line has now advanced to preparation of a tender -reportedly by May. The ARL extension to DMK which is now part of the Eastern HSR line to U-Tapoa will thus finally be tendered. So we might  see work starting by early 2019 as this section is the 1st tender. Not quite the 2013 priority tender as it then was but getting there......(Which of course means working on this ext right alongside the Dark Red line works!)

The Eastern HSR tender is out and the expectation is that a winning bid will be awarded by July/August with work commencing by the end of the year ....if all goes smoothly - which it never does! http://www.railway.co.th/download/2561/Invitation-to-Tender-HSR3Airports.pdf

The Transport Ministry has decided that whoever wins the bid to build and run the Eastern HSR will also take over operating the ARL. The SRTET will be abolished and a new SRT entity will be established to manage the 4 planned HSR lines.

I now estimate that any new rolling stock for the ARL will not be available until 2022 at the earliest unless the previously mentioned leasing plan come to fruition - knowing the SRT it probably won't.

Progress of civil works for lines currently under construction;

1) MRT Blue Line ext: 98.25%

2) BTS Northern ext: 63.27%

3) MRT Orange Line: 8.62%

4) BTS Southern ext: 100%

5) MRT Pink line and MRT Yellow line: still mainly preliminary site works

6) SRT Dark Red Line: 97.94%

7) Tinky toy Gold Line: still mainly preliminary site works but supposedly it will be complete by Dec 2019

On 1/8/2018 at 1:58 PM, Lakegeneve said:

5) After nearly 20 years the 2 ‘missing’ BTS stations, S4 & N6, are finally being built. Work should begin in 2018.

Any update on the two stations? Still to commence construction in 2018? As of June 2018 no work have started.

What is the estimated construction time?

22 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

Progress of civil works for lines currently under construction;

1) MRT Blue Line ext: 98.25%

2) BTS Northern ext: 63.27%

3) MRT Orange Line: 8.62%

4) BTS Southern ext: 100%

5) MRT Pink line and MRT Yellow line: still mainly preliminary site works

6) SRT Dark Red Line: 97.94%

7) Tinky toy Gold Line: still mainly preliminary site works but supposedly it will be complete by Dec 2019

I need a map to match the colors, others might also.

imageproxy.thumb.jpg.bba9da80008300b8ddc67379dceb7aaa.jpg

On 6/6/2018 at 12:30 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Any update on the two stations? Still to commence construction in 2018? As of June 2018 no work have started.

What is the estimated construction time?

"Work should begin in 2018." Not tendered as yet.

With other projects tenders also being delayed and the handover of the BTS southern ext from the MRTA to the BMA still problematic, this may slide into projects for 2019.

• 3 weeks later...

Any update about the opening of the green line extension of Phahon Yothin station?
I think it was planned at end of this year but regarding the status of the recent construction works I think this it not possible.

How about the red line? Is there an operation date announced yet?

Archived