Price Of Watches In Thailand

Welshman

I'm due to fly out to Thailand on 17 August, hopefully for good.

My watch packed in a week or so back and I'm the kind who can't do without one. I've got a cheap thing on at the moment but would like to buy a better one.

Question is, do I buy here in the UK or wait 'til I get to Thailand?

Can anyone advise me on whether they are substantially cheaper out there?

:o

My watch packed in a week or so back and I'm the kind who can't do without one. I've got a cheap thing on at the moment but would like to buy a better one.

Depends what kind of watch you are after - if you are after a cheap non branded one or a fake branded one then Thailand is definately cheaper. However if you are after a proper watch (1,000 pound plus) then duty free at Heathrow is your best bet.

Depends what kind of watch you are after - if you are after a cheap non branded one or a fake branded one then Thailand is definately cheaper. However if you are after a proper watch (1,000 pound plus) then duty free at Heathrow is your best bet.

I was thinking more in terms of a reasonable watch, such as a Rotary etc, at around 100 - 150 GBPs.

I was thinking more in terms of a reasonable watch, such as a Rotary etc, at around 100 - 150 GBPs.

I think you'd still be better off at Heathrow. For something like a rotary you might well get something in the summer sales - Selfridges sale ends Sunday and they have watches with good reductions. The problem with Thailadn is that there always seems to be a mark up on goods of this kind - partly because the only stockists are in expensive malls such as Gaysorn which have high rents.

Good Japanese origin watches such as Citizen and Seiko have been made in Thailand (with movements from Japan) for decades and sell at very reasonable prices everywhere. If you need a specific model that is not made here it may be a higher price but if not there is no reason to buy elsewhere.

Thanks for all the responses. I just wondered whether tax on such items was lower in Thailand than here.

I've never looked at the prices of watches at airports but have noticed that, what is on sale in duty free shops, is usually aimed at the first/business class type passengers at Mickey Mouse prices.

Unfortunately, I don't live in London so wouldn't know about Selfridges sale so will have to stick with the local shops.

Most original watches from high quality ( the names are like the fake ones they sell on the streets) are cheaper then home . I don't know about the tax free shops in the airport . Most brands mentioned works with a fixed price system which nearly is priced equally across the world . However due to the less labour cost in Thailand , you ussually can get a reduction from the original price stated . Be sure that if you want a real one , to get a real one . Easy to find the adres from the original retailers in Thailand to the website from the watchmaker . For the watch you speak of ( don't now it but the pricerange is the thing i look ) , you probably be better in a shop at home or at the airport .

High end watches are subject to a luxury tax here in Thailand which pushes the list price up quite high although you never pay list price for such goods .. . . . . usually just walking into a shop gets you a 20% discount.

I've found the best prices for these things in Singapore.

I bought a Brietling in London....I saw the same one at Don Muang and it was more expensive.

Just got a pair of Omegas for my upcoming wedding. I called the flagship store in Switzerland out of curiousity and the price is exactly the same as the flagship stoe in Bangkok (at Gaysorn). They were even "nice enough" to adjust the local Baht price to match the exchange rate. :D

What you will find however is that the less popular name brands will be a little less because they simply move slower. A lot of folks here have bought into the Rolex mindset because of the huge amounts that Rolex pours into marketing. Personally I don't like watches whose main "authenticity" seal is a green hologram sticker on the back that anyone with a decent print shop can manufacture, so I limited myself to getting a black Submariner (for funerals). I got it in duty free in South Africa, but the price was the same when I checked with Rolex on Wireless Rd (around 160,000 Baht).

That leaves a lot of stock of other fine brands that sit around for a year or two.... eventually retailers like Pendulum start to bring down the prices a bit. I kept my eye on a Breitling Chronomat 2000 at the branch in Emporium that sat in the display case from 2002 to nearly the end of 2004. 140,000 Baht down to 100,000 Baht when I finally got it.

Anyone know where I can buy Oakley watches here in Thailand (more specifically, in Bangkok)? I've looked on the website the the only retailer they have listed is over an hours drive out of Bangkok, and I have yet to see one in a mall... Thanks!

Yes, I went out and bought one here - a nice Pulsar Titanium.

Then, a few days later I was speaking to one of the tech guys here at the college (in the UK). We were talking about watches and he showed me his - a bloody gorgeous Rolex.

I asked him how much he'd paid for it and he just laughed and said 10 quid (ten GBPs).

Turns out he was in Bkk and bought the thing at Pat Pong. Thing is, I always thought that these fakes looked like sh*t and broke down within a few days. But his really looked the business and he said he'd had it for a while and it kept perfect time!

Looks as if I'll have to pay Pat Pong a visit when I arrive in a couple of weeks time!

Yes, I went out and bought one here - a nice Pulsar Titanium.

Then, a few days later I was speaking to one of the tech guys here at the college (in the UK). We were talking about watches and he showed me his - a bloody gorgeous Rolex.

I asked him how much he'd paid for it and he just laughed and said 10 quid (ten GBPs).

Turns out he was in Bkk and bought the thing at Pat Pong.  Thing is, I always thought that these fakes looked like sh*t and broke down within a few days. But his really looked the business and he said he'd had it for a while and it kept perfect time!

Looks as if I'll have to pay Pat Pong a visit when I arrive in a couple of weeks time!

:D

I have had loads of cheap Thai watches, all looking the part. After a few months, the stainless steel wears of to expose brass, they look shabby as ######, but usually keep good time.

I now have a watch i bought in a shop for 1000b and its very good. However, when it fails, I will buy a genuine Seiko for abou 4/5k baht. :o