Extension Based On Marriage Refused

Would just like to share my lovely day out at Chaeng Wattana Immigration and provide an insight to some evidence that some of you may miss.

My first application for extension based on marriage.

The reasons for the application being rejected were:

a) The rental contract for the condominium was not enough. The officer also needed copies of the owner’s ID, Tabien Baan and a letter saying we can and do stay there.

B) We had photos taken in our unit and outside with the unit number. Not enough – we needed a photo of us which also showed the outside of the condo building.

c) As I am extending via >40K / month employment option they needed a photo of me in my work place.

d) The tax forms which I had were correct but needed stamping by the tax office.

e) 2 months worth of income tax is not enough – It must be 3 months – I had read that but the visa section at work said immigration would accept 2 as I have just started work and therefore don’t have 3 months worth. At least it is now clear there is no flexibility on this point for other applicants.

I was then given the check list (in Thai).

But all was not lost, the officer said I had all the necessary documents to extend on the basis of employment but will have to take another queue ticket for another counter.

Another eternity of waiting, and then the new officer says I am missing a letter from my employer which is needed for the employment route. It was then closing time.

I now have the option of going back to extend for 60 days whilst I gather the above evidence for the extension based on marriage, or just go back with the letter for employment extension.

Any suggestions on which is the most beneficial route considering I intend on being here permanently?

Oh and just to put a nice ending to the day it took 3 hours to get home in the wet Friday gridlock.

What a day you had, i guess the Visa based on the marriage would be the best, as you mentioned that you want to stay here permanently, a local wife can ensure that you will never leave ;) however let's see what other insights are, thanks for sharing :)

An extension of permission to stay based on marriage is always much easier to get than one based on employment, where the paperwork is much more burdensome (a pile of papers approx 1 cm thick).

Also remember that should you leave your job, any extension based on employment is immediately canceled, whereas an extension based on marriage is unaffected.

An extension of permission to stay based on marriage is always much easier to get than one based on employment, where the paperwork is much more burdensome (a pile of papers approx 1 cm thick).

Also remember that should you leave your job, any extension based on employment is immediately canceled, whereas an extension based on marriage is unaffected.

From my experience the other day the work extension would have been easier with just 1 letter needed on top of what I had but several nore papers needed for marriage extension including tracking down the owner of my condo unit for their documents.

Here is the list of evidence they now want for the extension based on marriage. They didn't have an English copy.

post-37292-016364100 1287303999_thumb.jp

1. Application form T.M. 7 with one photograph size 4x6 cm. and Visa Fee 1900.-Baht

2. Copy Marriage Certificate

3. Copy Kor Ror 2 from amphur office (not older than six months)

4. Child's birth certificate (if any)

5. Copy wife’s house registration

6. Copy wife’s identity card

7. Copy passport, non-Im visa, arrival card.

8. Interview the husband and wife for confirming status of husband and wife

9. Map to residency

10. Picture of house and family, in house and outside showing house number.

With money in bank option.

1. Letter from bank same day or day before stating bank records, make a transaction just before to get it up to date.

2. Bank account must be in Husbands name, joint accounts will not qualify.

With Income option

1. A copy of work permit

2. Personal Corporation income Tax (PND.1) in latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt

All of the above in two copies

It might be more useful if when posting lists of requirements the place and time were indicated as no two are likely exactly the same. The above listed requirement for two copies is not true if application is made in Bangkok to my knowledge.

I had read your compiled list before poorsucker including the official scan that was posted in the same thread and that was what I used to go by but alas here in Bangkok on Friday it was not enough.

For example, they wanted my condo contract, a letter from the unit owner saying I can stay there and a copy of their ID and Tabien Baan.

Edited by guru

From my experience the other day the work extension would have been easier with just 1 letter needed on top of what I had but several nore papers needed for marriage extension including tracking down the owner of my condo unit for their documents.

Here is the list of evidence they now want for the extension based on marriage. They didn't have an English copy.

Attached is a pdf with specific national regulations, plus my local Immigration Dept's requirements (Phuket), for an extension of temporary permission to stay based on employment - Case 2.1.

Much, much more involved than an extension based on marriage.

...For example, they wanted my condo contract, a letter from the unit owner saying I can stay there and a copy of their ID and Tabien Baan.

It is also not on the list given to you by immigration, as per translation posted by PoorSucker.

The translation made by poorsucker is not of the document I have attached.

If you click on my attachment at point 14 it has been written in that they want the tabien barn and id card of the condo unit owner and a letter stating we are allowed to stay there.

I extend annually based on marriage to a Thai but with income from my job. Prior to this year, immigartion had never requested a copy of my rental agreement. However, this years the officer who dealt with me wanted to see it even though I told her it was years old and had never been renewed. Luckily I was not asked for the home owners ID card. I was told I was just unlucky as in most cases where you have been extending for years and it is obvious you really are man and wife, these things are not requested. In fact I have only supplied photos for the last three years. Before that they never asked for them. I have been extending based on marriage for 20 years or more now. Every now or then they throw something new or different in just to keep you on your toes. :D

• 5 months later...

Humble request to Mods: Could this be made a "Sticky"?

Valuable information and could avoid many superfluous threads/posts

Once again, a request this list should be Stickied. Please!

I know each office has a slight variation, but could we start with Cheang Wattana's requirements?

I will be doing the extension based on marriage application next month when the money has matured.

Thing is, we rent and live in a condo, but I will most likely have the yellow book to the land with office we have.

I guess we have to bother the owners to get copies of their tabien baan, ID card and the permission letter.