Thai Airways Aims To Place Large Plane Order Soon: President

webfact

Thai Airways aims to place large plane order soon: president

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai Airways aims to place a major order soon for new planes from either Airbus or Boeing to upgrade its ageing fleet, the head of the carrier said Friday.

The deal, which could come by the end of the year, would be "probably the biggest single acquisition of aircraft by Thai Airways," the group's president Piyasvasti Amranand told reporters.

Talks were ongoing with both Airbus and Boeing about the order, which could be for lease or purchase, he said.

"We are working on the details," he added. "Our aircraft are pretty old... if you talk to Airbus or Boeing you will find that their queues are very long so we really have to act as soon as possible."

Thai Airways management approved a plan in June to take delivery of seven Airbus A330-300s medium-range aircraft and eight Boeing 777-300ER long-range planes by 2014 on lease.

The group has delayed delivery of six Airbus A380s, now due to arrive 2012-2013, because of a shortage of cash.

Piyasvasti said the airline planned to acquire 33 new aircraft to replace ageing planes in the next few years, but did not say whether that figure included existing orders.

The Bangkok Post reported in August that Thai Airways had begun talks with Airbus on the possible acquisition of up to 30 next-generation A350XWB jets and six additional A380 superjumbos.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-16

"... The group has delayed delivery of six Airbus A380s, now due to arrive 2012-2013, because of a shortage of cash."

"... Thai Airways had begun talks with Airbus on the possible acquisition of up to 30 next-generation A350XWB jets and six additional A380 superjumbos."

First rule of insolvency - stop spending!!!

blink.gif

Hence the need to lease, rather than purchase, the new aircraft one suspects ?

Unless the government is feeling generous, and wants to reduce the BoT's mounting pile of reserves, and weaken the Baht by purchasing capital-goods from overseas ? :whistling:

I would anticipate a mix of Airbus A380s, for dense long-haul routes currently operated by the Jumbos, and B777s or B787s for the regional-routes and long-thin routes respectively.

Thus enabling the collection of two sets of brown-envelopes, or am I being cynical, here ? B)

Thai Airways aims to place a major order soon for new planes from either Airbus or Boeing to upgrade its ageing fleet

Boeing 787 Dreamliner's please, Mr President...

14920-file-photo-of-the-boeing-787-dreamliner.jpg

:thumbsup:

Airbus with Airbrush 380 please, Mr. President. Forget them expensive American planes. B)

post-108180-040460700 1287215940_thumb.j

Both very fine air companies, given a preference I would go for the Airbus but the Boeing with Rolls Royce engines is also a fine plane. The problem as I see it is will Thai flights be at a competetive price? I would like to fly with them but their prices are not realistic, there are so many other good carriers out there considerably cheaper and all this with an old fleet. The new fleet will be more efficient but unless this brings the price down this is just of passing interest.

Both very fine air companies, given a preference I would go for the Airbus but the Boeing with Rolls Royce engines is also a fine plane. The problem as I see it is will Thai flights be at a competetive price? I would like to fly with them but their prices are not realistic, there are so many other good carriers out there considerably cheaper and all this with an old fleet. The new fleet will be more efficient but unless this brings the price down this is just of passing interest.

I think is is just of passing interest. Canada is in a spat with the UAE over the refusal to grant additional landing rights in Canada to Ethiad and Emirates Airways. Other airlines fear that the UAE is subsidising Ethiad and Emirates Airways, the latter already has announced intentions to acquire up to 90 A380's - that is more than BA and Air France combined. These airlines have grand plans to dominate air transport to Africa, Europe and South East Asia. Canada seems to have dented their plans about North America. Thai Airways cannot compete with either of these airlines on price now, even with its aged fleet, so I doubt they will be able to compete when they update their fleet.

[

I think is is just of passing interest. Canada is in a spat with the UAE over the refusal to grant additional landing rights in Canada to Ethiad and Emirates Airways. Other airlines fear that the UAE is subsidising Ethiad and Emirates Airways, the latter already has announced intentions to acquire up to 90 A380's - that is more than BA and Air France combined. These airlines have grand plans to dominate air transport to Africa, Europe and South East Asia. Canada seems to have dented their plans about North America. Thai Airways cannot compete with either of these airlines on price now, even with its aged fleet, so I doubt they will be able to compete when they update their fleet.

A lot of people prefer direct non-stop flights.

I have avoided flying Thai to London for some time as they have old planes with interiors from the 1980s.

I hope this is good news.

Airbus with Airbrush 380 please, Mr. President. Forget them expensive American planes.

From wikipedia:

A330-300: $195.9 to $205.7m (2008)

A380-800: US$ 317.2–337.5 million (2008)

A350-900: $240.6 million (2008) - (introduction 2013)

777-200LR: US$237.5–263.5 million (2009)

787-8: US$161.0–171.5 million (2009) - (introduction 2011)

747-8I: US$293-308 million (2009) - (introduction after 2011)

Keep in mind these are list prices which all and sunder get a discount on.

Airbus with Airbrush 380 please, Mr. President. Forget them expensive American planes.

From wikipedia:

If I can remember Thai Air did not like the seats supplied and wanted better ones, so guess the above is the basic price ?

From wikipedia:

If I can remember Thai Air did not like the seats supplied and wanted better ones, so guess the above is the basic price ?

This may surprise some, but I have no idea!

[i think is is just of passing interest. Canada is in a spat with the UAE over the refusal to grant additional landing rights in Canada to Ethiad and Emirates Airways. Other airlines fear that the UAE is subsidising Ethiad and Emirates Airways, the latter already has announced intentions to acquire up to 90 A380's - that is more than BA and Air France combined. These airlines have grand plans to dominate air transport to Africa, Europe and South East Asia. Canada seems to have dented their plans about North America. Thai Airways cannot compete with either of these airlines on price now, even with its aged fleet, so I doubt they will be able to compete when they update their fleet.

You highlight a very important dispute that has serious implications for smaller national carriers like the Thai Airways of this world. Air France and British Airways came down on the Canadian side in the dispute with Ethiad because they too will get hit hard. I didn't fully understand how serious the situation was until I read the explanations of the impact the cabotage would have on other airlines. As much as people like me often rip into legacy carriers, it is Thai Airways that has the full service routes in Thailand. It is Thai Airways that privides the infrastructure to support smaller communities receiving air service. If the Ethiad airlines of this world are allowed to siphon off the profitable routes, there will be no cash flow left to pay for the new equipment and the service to smaller communities in the countries facing such competiton. There is a social contract for airlines such as Thai Airways and Air Canada. In return for national support, they are expected to provide some form of service to smaller destinations. It's great to have Eihad and others willing to purchase giant planes, but who is going to look after the PAX when they land in THailand? Domestic airfares could double if the longhaul income wasn't there.

I hope TG makes a decision soon, because the delays are costing it PAX. No one wants to sit on a broken, dirty chair that usually doesn't recline or have a private screen as is the case on the HKT-BKK-NRT route. TG has been lucky to date because of the reliability and dependability of is aged Boeing fleet. Unfortunately, sooner or later metal fatigue will show its ugly face.

Do you mean like the business class seats on the Jumbos,

where the tray table does not fold and cannot be stowed if the

seat in front is reclined????????????????

The stewardess had the gall to tell me I was impolite because

I wanted to sleep whilst they did meal service.

So much for THAI service. :bah: :bah:

This may surprise some, but I have no idea!

Not really.

Luckily I still have my sense of humour. That makes up for a lot.

Take a beer and keep smiling :)

I hope TG makes a decision soon, because the delays are costing it PAX. No one wants to sit on a broken, dirty chair that usually doesn't recline or have a private screen as is the case on the HKT-BKK-NRT route. TG has been lucky to date because of the reliability and dependability of is aged Boeing fleet. Unfortunately, sooner or later metal fatigue will show its ugly face.

I don't know anything about metal fatigue. But the seat fatigue already makes me choose another airline. I usually fly business class on flights over 4 hours, and the seats on some TG aircraft are simply not acceptable. Since I don't know the state of the seats when I book, I will book another airline as I don't want to take the risk of developing a backache. I don't even want to know what it's like in economy class.

Inflight entertainment system (a major factor for me when choosing a long-haul flight) is another reason. I flew BKK-MUC in business class on TG and didn't have my own screen and choice of movies! Ten years ago, I would have minded, but the world has moved on. TG certainly needs to modernize in order to become a competitive choice again, on the service level.

I am glad someone has made the decision to modernize the fleet. Those who say "don't buy new planes, you don't have the cash-flow" don't understand how this business works: "don't buy new plane means to bury your survival".

I'm sure there will be a 30 million baht feasibility study before making a decision.

Please send me the link - I'd like to make that study.

Too late.The study was kicked off at the moment this newsitem was made public and finished about an hour after that.

From wikipedia:

Sorry to say mate but I think you have to recalculate your exchange rates.

From wikipedia:

Sorry to say mate but I think you have to recalculate your exchange rates.

Undoubtedly. The figures as indicated are from 2008 (Airbus) and 2009 (Boeing).

Last time I flew Thai internationally was may 2000 business class.

Since only fly business class with flat beds, thus not Thai Airways.

Old planes, not for me :bah:

Last time I flew Thai internationally was may 2000 business class.

Since only fly business class with flat beds, thus not Thai Airways.

Old planes, not for me :bah:

Should we make a list of airlines with flat beds? I'd be interested.

From experience:

BA Yes (This experience already dates back to 2006!)

TG No (2010)

NH No (2010)

LH No (A few years ago...)

OS No (2008)

CA No (2008)