Is 'Pak Talat'(Market Mouth) A Good Response To Being Called A Farang?

bubba1

Okay bubba1, enough philosophizing. Of course it's true that racism is an issue in Thailand, but that's barely relevant to the topic, and not relevant to the forum. The topic is whether or not 'farang' is even a racist term. You're not arguing for the correctness of your linguistic point of view. Rather, you're going on a keyboard crusade against social injustice. Please continue non-language-related discussion in other areas of the forum.

Think if Martin Luther King had the same attitude as some of you.

We must press for change in Thailand and stamp out racism against Thai-Indians, Dark skinned Issan people and foreigners. Education of the masses is the only way forward.

If anyone thinks that Thai's can't change then that is a huge insult to Thai people.

Dear Bubba, can't we convince you? The word is in the dictionary, I use it and I am sure many other ฝรั่ง also use it in daily conversation, Would you be offended if I used it to refer to you? I am on old Englishman.

I am interested in where you got the word ปากตลาด pak dtalad is it Thai? As my last post on the subject implied; as a second element in a word of two nouns it doesn't seem right. We have ภาษาตลกด pasa dtalat you see, so it would seem to stretch the duty of ตลาด as a modifiing element a little too far, or, on the other hand make 'language' a euphomism for 'mouth'. Is this influenced by English?

Naturally we can work it out when we replace the words with English but does it work for the average( or do I mean 'below average') Thai person? Perhaps we need an expert to opine on the subject.

Edited by tgeezer

Here here Rikker.

Talking of racism, whenever I've tried to explain the word racism to a Thai who can't speak English, (sometimes even those who can) they rarely understand what I'm trying to say. People normally just say what they think in my experience, if your a farang they'll call you so, if your fat, have a big nose, balding or shorter that most farangs they've seen, they'll tell you so, (and probably within the first few sentences). There are no underlying points that they're trying to make, and I find this much more refreshing than people noticing something, but rather than saying it, keep it to them selves and gossip to their friends afterward. That way you find out more like this; "So and so said you're fat" which is much worse. I've always liked the way most Thai people just say what they think.

I have met a few Thais who are wary of saying farang, in which case they will ask a question using, "somebody like you, a person of a different nationality" to which I will answer the question by using, "Farang". They normally looked relieved when I say this and means that we can become closer friends, without having to worry about using the right words. Also bear in mind Thais will do anything to shorten a sentence or a word, farang is the shortest option I can think of!

I don't agree or disagree with the idea that farang is rude, but I will point out that certain people deliberately use the term "kon tang pratet" where they could use the term farang, and there is presumably a reason for this choice.

thanks for your response. kon tang pratet is the acceptable word to use, not to call someone a fruit or bird crap (farang khi nok)

I don't agree or disagree with the idea that farang is rude, but I will point out that certain people deliberately use the term "kon tang pratet" where they could use the term farang, and there is presumably a reason for this choice.

thanks for your response. kon tang pratet is the acceptable word to use, not to call someone a fruit or bird crap (farang khi nok)

Farang khii nok does not mean bird carp, well not normally. Not that it means something much better. I find it hard to explain, it means somebody who is very cautious about the money he spends and will not spend money on things he does not need. (Maybe selfish but not quite as bad) Sensible? Maybe, but not how most Thais live!

Edit: I don't see anything unacceptable about using the word farang. Only when I first got here and was a bit paranoid about what people were saying, was when I didn't like people saying it. I used to understand the tiniest bit of Thai and think I could put together what people were saying about me. I was normally wrong. Bear in mind there are so many Thai words that sound similar to the untrained ear.

Edited by SamboVilla

Farang khii nok does not mean bird carp, well not normally. Not that it means something much better. I find it hard to explain, it means somebody who is very cautious about the money he spends and will not spend money on things he does not need. (Maybe selfish but not quite as bad) Sensible? Maybe, but not how most Thais live!

wrong.

The reason is because they are aware that farangs can be sensitive old souls and don't want to upset us. Should we be upset?

Edited by SamboVilla

The reason is because they are aware that farangs can be sensitive old souls and don't want to upset you. Should we be upset?

they know it is rude, that is why.

This is from thai-language.com.งก ngohk adjective, avaricious; greedy; stingy; mean. I presume this is what you say I'm wrong about, if not please explain. Khee is always followed by an adjective and means that someone is like that all the time. Example: Khee mao = Drunk all the time = Alcoholic.

Edited by SamboVilla

The reason is because they are aware that farangs can be sensitive old souls and don't want to upset you. Should we be upset?

they know it is rude, that is why.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not saying "Go home" but being easily offended and presuming you can understand people when you're not sure is not a good trait to have when living in this mostly wonderful country.

It's not rude, just not ultra-polite.

This is from thai-language.com.งก ngohk adjective, avaricious; greedy; stingy; mean. I presume this is what you say I'm wrong about, if not please explain. Khee is always followed by an adjective and means that someone is like that all the time. Example: Khee mao = Drunk all the time = Alcoholic.

ฝรั่งขี้นก

khee=shit, waste

Nok=bird