Is It Safe To Camp In Thailand?

jeebusjones

I'm a big hiker/camper back in the States and would love to start doing so here in Thailand. However, I've always been a bit weary of hiking/camping here due to various safety concerns, among them being the obvious (snakes) and perhaps less obvious (loonies). I've heard stories of campers in Thailand being attacked and even murdered.

Does anyone have any experience with hiking/camping here in Thailand? Is it safe? I'll be looking to do it in Northern Thailand, anywhere from Nakhon Sawan all the way to Pai/Chiang Rai, most likely in established parks to begin with, but hopefully in more remote places later with a bit of experience. Anything in particular I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

When I lived in HH we used to go to one of the waterfalls and camp there next to it. Also have camped out at a few bike rallies around the country. I have never heard of any body being attacked never mind murdered camping. Tents and equipment are very cheap here. Go for it !

As far as I know, most national parks in Thailand have at least rudimentary camp sites. Regarding murder stories, I must admit the only account I know of came from a post here on Thai Visa, entitled something like "Hiking/Camping in Thailand." Beyond that, however, I've also heard just general warnings about the danger of the Golden Triangle.

Its even safe ? to be camp in Thailand.................It dont float mah boat ....but hey ...........B)

If you woke up in the morning with grass stains on your knees and a condom sticking out of your arse would you tell anybody?

Its even safe ? to be camp in Thailand.................It dont float mah boat ....but hey ...........B)

If you woke up in the morning with grass stains on your knees and a condom sticking out of your arse would you tell anybody?

eeeeeer, no. :o

Cool, do you want to come camping then? :lol::cheesy:

On a more serious note, OP, think you will have no problems BUT, l have seen some serious snakes crossing the road up here, not seen their head OR the end of their tail. :w00t:

Its not the snakes that scare me, its the spiders! :unsure:

Went East of Trat with some Thai's for New Years and we just

set up tents just inside the timber on the beach. There was a

Western style camp cooking center. I think you have to use

a little common sense on the type of people who frequent the area.

I've done a lot of camping and hiking in the North and in Issan for the past seven years or so, usually with my wife and her friends.

We have camped in national parks and on public land next to lakes, etc.

Only one bad experience in a remote national park that had a bunch of drunk soldiers in it.

I would say that if you camp with at least a small group you'll have no problems.

Regarding murder stories

it was back in 2000. An australian man and his girlfriend were attacked while 'wild camping' on a birdwatching trip to Doi Ang Khang. He was shot dead trying to defend his partner, who was raped & stabbed (but survived)

2 Chinese Haw men were convicted & given the death sentence, but later acquitted after new DNA evidence & a police 'set-up' was exposed on appeal. The case remains unsolved...

look here

i've camped all over Thailand, always within the National Parks. Its great fun & completely safe... except one time in Khao Yai when a wild elephant came out of the forest onto the campground at night and casualy walked amongst the tents (that was cool) then the park officials showed up & fearful of someone getting trodden on by the huge beast, proceeded to try and steer it away back into the forest. This of course spooked the elephant & it almost did what they were trying to prevent... :)

just be sensible & avoid wild camping in the more remote Thai/Myanmar mountainous northern border areas.. most everywhere else you'll be fine...

Edited by Goshawk

I have been camping in North East on a few occasions but always as part of a group and always to a designated National Park camping area.

In my experience it has always been very easy, always meet some good people and never had any problems.Great B-B-q's and sing-a-longs.......you havnt lived until you have sung along to Kuntwy Woads......LOL:burp:

Personally, I would NEVER go alone, NEVER go wild camping and always stick to established venues, as a foreigner you would be inviting trouble to do otherwise and you would be an easy target.:crazy:

We went hiking/camping at peu kradeung sp? in north central thailand last year. We had a lot of fun. You are not alone there are a lot of people but it is really enjoyable. It is a steep climb up the mountain to a plateau. They have tents to rent or bring your own. You can either carry your own stuff up the mountain or hire a porter. Those guys/women are amazing.

If anyone knows of another hike which is similar I would love to know.

Thanks for all the replies, there are some reassuring posts here - and some disturbing ones!

it was back in 2000. An australian man and his girlfriend were attacked while 'wild camping' on a birdwatching trip to Doi Ang Khang. He was shot dead trying to defend his partner, who was raped & stabbed (but survived)

2 Chinese Haw men were convicted & given the death sentence, but later acquitted after new DNA evidence & a police 'set-up' was exposed on appeal. The case remains unsolved...

look here

That's a chilling story, and according to the article not as uncommon as one might expect:

Just as in the case of British backpacker Kirsty Jones, 23, who was murdered and raped in a guest house in Chiang Mai, police in the same year tried to clear up the case by picking on non-Thai nationals.

and

Bourke was the third Australian murdered there in 11 months.

I guess I'd be wise to stick with the national parks. I plan to go with my Thai girlfriend, who always warns me about such stories but until now I'd always thought she was just paranoid.

We went hiking/camping at peu kradeung sp? in north central thailand last year. We had a lot of fun. You are not alone there are a lot of people but it is really enjoyable. It is a steep climb up the mountain to a plateau. They have tents to rent or bring your own. You can either carry your own stuff up the mountain or hire a porter. Those guys/women are amazing.

If anyone knows of another hike which is similar I would love to know.

I did a group climb up Khao Luang in Sukhothai Province last year (Victory Day). It is a very steep climb, with a vertical assent of over 1,000 meters (also to a plateau) and occurs each year around December 1. There may have been a thousand people with hundreds at the top camping over night. You can bring your own stuff, or rent everything. They supply food and water. They have porters for a fee -- and, yes, they ARE amazing beasts of burden. It was quite a spectacle looking down at all the bivouacked tents, each with a campfire, like an American Civil War camp. Although it was quite scenic, it was NOT a nature experience with all those people, but it WAS an experience. I have never seen anything like it. It is also VERY Thai. I was invited to go by some Thai friends and out of all those people was the ONLY farang, which made me somewhat of a celebrity. You can read here about Khao Luang in Ramkhamhaeng National Park, Amphoe Khiri Mat, Sukhothai (scroll down to the heading, Amphoe Khiri Mat). You can read here about the Victory Day climb. BTW, though hot in the day, it was quite chilly up there at night.

Jee....Lot's of good camping areas around Chiang Mai. One potential place for you is up above Doi Suthep. Past the temple, keep going to the touristy hill tribe village on the side of Doi Pui. From there you can follow forestry trails to another mountain called Doi Pa Klong, or drum mountain. Between Doi Pui and Doi Pa Klong you are on a very high ridge covered with pine needles. Feels like you are in the western US there, and it is too cold for most snakes. Very few bugs as well most times of the year. Lots of flat areas to pitch a tent, and I do sometimes see fire rings. I mountain bike up there often, rarely see anyone, and have never felt threatened when I do see someone.

Thanks for all the replies, there are some reassuring posts here - and some disturbing ones!

look here

That's a chilling story, and according to the article not as uncommon as one might expect:

Just as in the case of British backpacker Kirsty Jones, 23, who was murdered and raped in a guest house in Chiang Mai, police in the same year tried to clear up the case by picking on non-Thai nationals.

and

Bourke was the third Australian murdered there in 11 months.

I guess I'd be wise to stick with the national parks. I plan to go with my Thai girlfriend, who always warns me about such stories but until now I'd always thought she was just paranoid.

Your from the USA and your worried about safety while camping in Thailand!!!! Just don't disclose to your gf the number of campers/hikers assaulted, robbed and murdered (or their bodies dumped) in US national parks.

I think like any country you just need to do your research of various options, stick to the more frequented national parks with appropriate facilities and take all the usual basic precautions as you would in any country. Thailand has some great areas worth visiting and camping. Camping facilities are generally not as good as they should be but sometimes that is a plus given lower fees and less people if you like some time alone.

Start the gf off at one of the easy & busy national parks such as Khao Yai, Sai Yok or one of those suggested above so she can build up some confidence and then explore some of the others. Hope you both enjoy.

Gishawk gives good advice regarding border parks on the NW adjacent to Burma and one should always stick to established trails in some border parks for safety. (It is important to note that some small areas are still subject to demining on the Burmese & Cambodian borders)

Note: from a criminologist point of view, a persons main threats to personal safety are always going to be around latenight entertainment areas than some isolated national park but we don't ask each other if it is safe to go out for a drink at night to a busy street area. Perceptions of crime and risks are often very different to the realities.