Emirates Check-In In Bkk 3H Before Departure?

philipp

Just booked an Emirates flights from Bangkok to Hong Kong. According to the Emirates website, the minimum check-in time for Economy Class in Bangkok is 3h before departure. If I check-in online, I still have to drop my bags 90min before departure. Anyone has any experience how strict they inforce that? Yes, there are a lof of people on the A380 but 3h seems excessive. Has anyone checked in 1h or 45min before departure for an EK flight out of BKK?

It's a recommendation only and is issued by pretty much all the airlines out there regardless of the airport, I've never turned up three hours before a flight and I've not had any problems on the hundreds of flights I've been on.

For an intercontinental flight I generally allow 2 hours whatever the airline. One thing to check is the time that the checkin desk closes - this is the real time limit after which you will lose your flight, this is generally 30-45 minutes even for intercontinental flights - you're cutting it fine here as it will take time to get through immigration and walk to the gate which can be a good 10-20 minutes walk away depending on the airport / airline.

This might be different on flights going to the US though as they are additionally paranoid.

I just flew Qatar on their newly introduced Kuala Lumpur - Phuket hop. On the return leg, the check-in was open at 20:30 for a 23:59 departure. They had large banners stating check-in closes 60 minutes before departure and the gate closes 30 minutes before departure. It seemed like overkill since there was only about a dozen passengers on the KUL-HKT last Friday and maybe around 50 or 60 on the return last night but we did push back and depart on time. I can imagine that they will need every one of those extra minutes once high-season kicks in and the planes start filling up.

A couple of times i have used electronic check-in which is supposed to avoid the hassle of getting to check-in early , but if you have luggage to check-in you still have to line up. I persnonally hate the stress of being rushed for a flight.

Flying from the UK the airport information says check in 3 hours before any international flight departure.

Having said that, I took that information and was one of the 1st people to check in, many did not check in untill way after that !

A couple of times i have used electronic check-in which is supposed to avoid the hassle of getting to check-in early , but if you have luggage to check-in you still have to line up. I persnonally hate the stress of being rushed for a flight.

Bit of a bugger that. What airline was it? If an airline offers web check-in and don't provide a designated 'bag drop' counter, you should ask to speak with the supervisor. In lieu of a 'web check in' counter, most airlines at most airports allow any passenger who has checked-in on-line to use the Business class or other premium check-in desk regardless of their travel class. If the supervisor tells you that you have to get in line like everyone else, file a complaint with the airline and fly TAA until they sort it out.

Bit of a bugger that. What airline was it? If an airline offers web check-in and don't provide a designated 'bag drop' counter, you should ask to speak with the supervisor. In lieu of a 'web check in' counter, most airlines at most airports allow any passenger who has checked-in on-line to use the Business class or other premium check-in desk regardless of their travel class. If the supervisor tells you that you have to get in line like everyone else, file a complaint with the airline and fly TAA until they sort it out.

A bit unfair to the people who booked business class isn't it ? They pay the business class fare for a reason, and one of these reasons is NOT to stand in line.

Just my opinion off course.

yermanee

I have flown EK about 30 times in the last 5 years and never turned up more than an hour to 75 mins before a flight, the loadings on that flight to HK are usually not so high. EK check in is usually very efficient. In fact, I really believe that only for US bound flights or US airlines does one need to check-in 2-3 hrs before.

However, it all depends on what time your flight departs (ie. is it a busy time at the airport) and the time of year (they overbook a number of flights during Eid, Xmas, NYs etc).

Can recommend the e-check in. I've seen people checking in up to 1 hour before departure but that has been due to fully booked flights and people all arriving near the official checkin closure time.

I think they are a long way from the Tiger Airways Australia philosphy.

Edited by tso310

A bit unfair to the people who booked business class isn't it ? They pay the business class fare for a reason, and one of these reasons is NOT to stand in line.

Just my opinion off course.

yermanee

Not really. The extra dosh forked out by Premium customers also gets them more air miles, lounge access, advanced boarding, a bigger, wider seat and fancy crockery with their dinner. Having to rub shoulders with some Coach class grub who is savvy enough to use the internet to speed up HIS travel experience is surely only a minor and momentary degradation of their higher quality travel experience, IMHO.

To be honest, when I am flying Coach and I see huge lines at their check-in desks, I am the first to 'mistakenly' use the usually empty and hugely inefficient Premium Only check in desk. I think I have only ever been knocked back once.

3 hours is general recommendation for international flights but it's overkill IMO. 2 hours is plenty.

I've seen me rush to the airport for an international flight, get there 1.5 hours before, and still have time for a couple of beers.

rule of thumb:

international departure - 2 hours

domestic - 1 hour