How To: Change Legal Marriage Status In Thailand (For Thai Who Registered Marriage Overseas)

Hi all,

My wife and I were married about a year back and our marriage were registered in and under the laws of Singapore.

We've recently been discussing on plans to get her civil/legal status in Thailand changed from SINGLE to MARRIED.

We do not have plans to change her name (seeing that it's no longer legally required).

Any there any kind souls to enlighten me on how I could work this out?

Am I required to bring oury translated marriage cert to her local amphur? or is the process the same as the 'changing of name' (where a whole load of notarization/legalization are required)

Any kind advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Arnold

You are already married, in Thailand as well. What needs to be done is that you go with the marriage certificate to the Singapore Embassy to have it certified as true. Once that is done you have it translated into Thai and you present the marriage certificate and translation to the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs, consulair section to have it certified by them. When that is done you just go to any amphur and have the marriage recorded into the Thai wedding register. Don't forget to ask a copy from the entry into Thai wedding register.

The change of name/status is a very simple process and is normally done immediately after registration of marriage here and needs no special paperwork. But as your marriage has not be registered here that will be what is required and that requires translation of marriage certificate into Thai and having your embassy notarize a statement and then having that registered at the MFA (legalization) and then taking to District Office to enter into there records. At that time it should be a simple process to change ID card and passport to Mrs.

Translation office can assist on most of above so should not be very hard to do.

This same paperwork helps makes you eligible to obtain one year extensions of stay for marriage in Thailand.

The change of name/status is a very simple process and is normally done immediately after registration of marriage here and needs no special paperwork. But as your marriage has not be registered here that will be what is required and that requires translation of marriage certificate into Thai and having your embassy notarize a statement and then having that registered at the MFA (legalization) and then taking to District Office to enter into there records. At that time it should be a simple process to change ID card and passport to Mrs.

Translation office can assist on most of above so should not be very hard to do.

This same paperwork helps makes you eligible to obtain one year extensions of stay for marriage in Thailand.

Thanks Mario for your input..

Well, Lopburi3...Thank you too. Lopburi's local amphur is where I need to head to for the process. :)

Well, this being said.

I guess the procedure is the same as the 'changing of name'.

Sadly, I might not have the luxury of time to stay in Bangkok for too long. Thus I'm worried about the MFA part taking up too many days.

Anyhow, thanks for the kind advice.

No, only a few days. They might even have the express service back, in which you get it back in 4 hours. As Lopburi said, most translation agencies are able to take care of the Thai MFA part for you and will send it to your home.

Not sure if you both have to appear at the amphur.

No, only a few days. They might even have the express service back, in which you get it back in 4 hours. As Lopburi said, most translation agencies are able to take care of the Thai MFA part for you and will send it to your home.

I've just had a look at my schedule. (I fly alot to & fro SIN-BKK-SIN)

I might only have 1-2 whole days in Bangkok. Is this Legalization procedure at the MFA a definite necessity for the change of status?

I've already got my marriage cert translated & notarized, and also certified by the Thai Embassy in Singapore.

I've planned for a 4 days trip to Thailand next week, which I've planned for a trip to Lopburi to remove her name from the House Register in Lopburi to another in BKK.

Was hoping I can do the status change at the same time... Another trip to Lopburi in future is really a waste of time as her entire family have almost shifted to BKK from Lopburi.

Hi Kervon.

Have you both thought about the fact that by changing your wifes status to married and to a foreigner "Alien" in the eyes of the public servants who are only happy to extort more money from your spouse if ever she has to to any business with Government departments here in Thailand, and if at any time she wishes to purchase land you have to declare all the funds came from her alone and you have no claim to it? I did go through all the same processs some years ago, we did change my Thai wifes surname to mine, biggest mistake I ever made, what do you see as the benefits to this status change for your wife, plus if you ever divorce in Singapore you will then have to go through the same process here. Lot of runing around, as I recall and in 12 years of living here in Thailand I have seen no benefit yet. Best of luck though whichever way you decide to go. Kindest regards to you both. BW.

Hi Kervon.

Have you both thought about the fact that by changing your wifes status to married and to a foreigner "Alien" in the eyes of the public servants who are only happy to extort more money from your spouse if ever she has to to any business with Government departments here in Thailand, and if at any time she wishes to purchase land you have to declare all the funds came from her alone and you have no claim to it? I did go through all the same processs some years ago, we did change my Thai wifes surname to mine, biggest mistake I ever made, what do you see as the benefits to this status change for your wife, plus if you ever divorce in Singapore you will then have to go through the same process here. Lot of runing around, as I recall and in 12 years of living here in Thailand I have seen no benefit yet. Best of luck though whichever way you decide to go. Kindest regards to you both. BW.

Hi BigWilly,

Thanks for your input.

I can't deny that your words holds a big load of truth, which I personally have heard and read from friends and across many forums.

And I wouldn't say that there's any benefit that I can think off my hat at the moment with regards to the status change.

However, as I will be based in Singapore for a good couple of years, I thought that perhaps the status change 'might' improve her chance of getting whatever necessary stay permits here. (though this is only my own thinking, no facts to back it).... The last thing I need is her being deported back to Thailand while I'm being based here in Singapore. :)

The express service did officially terminate, but every time I've gone (probably average once a month for the past year...) it's still been available, they simply shuttle you off to the side room on the left of the main bank of windows with the supervisor, who will authenticate the document and send you back out. Make sure your translation is as perfect as it can and go with a Thai if you want to do this -- they do check the document (despite the blue stamp saying they're not responsible; if they don't check it then what are they doing?) but are reluctant to explain how to correct it in English, they're much happier speaking to a Thai. (who will then go into the supervisor's office and use the white-out and typewriter in the room to correct it...)

There's a specific protocol for the express service, when you walk in the door mentally note who is there in the chairs as they're all waiting for the express service, sit in one of the school chairs, and do what everyone else does. :-)

Edited by neuf