Compulsory To Know The Language To Get Wp

Indonesia will make it compulsory for work permit applicants to be able to read, write and speak Indonesian. This will apply next year and is implemented as they will have to open up their labor market due to various trade agreements.

I guess Thailand must be in a similar position, as a member of ASEAN and signing various FTA's.

Any chance this will happen in Thailand and what would the implications be??

I think there would be a lot of new Thai language schools opening up in Bangkok to teach all the farangs how to read, write, and speak Thai.

Then there would be some kind of test to pass for the farangs. Which means someone would probably write a book for the test.

Some people would probably try to bribe their way past the test.

More corporations would get involved in training their employees about Thai language so they don't loose their farang work force.

I think if the standard is set at the same level as it is for Thai children to pass their english class, then most people should be able to pass with knowing how to say, (in passa Thai) Hello.....how are you...my name is...and so forth because that seems to be all that Thai children know how to say......at least outside of Bangkok.

Someone needs to tell the nations making such rules that it is not necessary to shoot into one's shoe to insure that there are anough holes for the shoelaces. Especially when the foot is present. Just redo the laces properly!

I think there would be a lot of new Thai language schools opening up in Bangkok to teach all the farangs how to read, write, and speak Thai.

Then there would be some kind of test to pass for the farangs. Which means someone would probably write a book for the test.

More corporations would get involved in training their employees about Thai language so they don't loose their farang work force.

I think if the standard is set at the same level as it is for Thai children to pass their english class, then most people should be able to pass with knowing how to say, (in passa Thai) Hello.....how are you...my name is...and so forth because that seems to be all that Thai children know how to say......at least outside of Bangkok.

The language test is taped. Sound and pics.

It would absolutely and finally, without question, bury the chance of any "officially specially super-powerfully home-country" qualified teachers ever working here again, even at the bestest most wonderfullest internationally schools.

Not so bad for those of us with a deeper investment in the place, though.

The language test is taped. Sound and pics.

Pardon? Are you saying that Thailand has already planned to implement the same policy and that the test has already been designed?

I don't see why a free trade agreement requires member countries to open up their labour markets. The Benelux, EEC and EC organisations (precursors of the EU) existed comfortably for many years without free movement of labour, or for that matter saying anything on the subject of labour. There are lots of other implications: equal minimum salaries, equal access to all job categoies, etc. Finally, since Thailand has negotiated FTAs separately with individual countries, there's no reason for Thailand or other ASEAN members to follow Indonesia's example. Unless perhaps every member of the WTO is opening its labour markets to all comers?... :o

References please.

[Edit: deleted EEA, which does include freedom of labour. My mistake.]

Edited by The_Other_Mac

Here in The Netherlands it's already compulsory, to learn to speak, read and write Dutch (aswell in some other european country's like Belgium, Sweden etc) for NON-Europeans. (sounds to me)

The Dutch min of foreigner-affairs Verdonk, even wants that in the nearest future people who want to come to Holland, learn Dutch in the country of origen, and after they past a test they get a certificate, and with this certificate they can apply for a visa.

The foreing police just increased the fine's aswell from 420 to 880 euro.

But in my opion, i think it's quite normal to learn a least some basic of the language where you live in.

CNN report

Overseas workers must learn Bahasa

Monday, July 18, 2005 Posted: 0925 GMT (1725 HKT)

JAKARTA, Indonesia (Reuters) -- Indonesia will require overseas people seeking work permits to master the local language if their jobs involve regular interaction with Indonesians, an official has said.

The move comes even as Indonesia is seeking to boost overseas investment and attract foreign companies, with the administration of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono promising to cut bureaucratic red tape.

Last week, Jakarta set up an agency with the task of establishing professional standards including, in the case of overseas workers, competency in the national language, Bahasa Indonesia.

Foreigners who work in Indonesia, in the future must meet the competency requirement and needed language standards, especially those whose job descriptions need frequent communication with Indonesians whether they are employees or colleagues," M. Moedjiman, the head of the National Certification of Professions Agency, told Reuters.

"In August, we will discuss which levels of the workforce and what and how they should be tested," he said.

The lab our official said a date for implementing the program had yet to be decided.

The plan is partly the result of Indonesian workers having to pass English-language requirements when they work in some overseas countries, Moedjiman said.

"If we have to do it when we go abroad, overseas workers also should do it in Indonesia. That's equal treatment," he said.

The Jakarta Post newspaper reported earlier that Labor Minister Fahmi Idris had said such an arrangement was needed so that jobs that could be done by Indonesians would not fall to foreigners.

Indonesia will open its doors to job seekers from other Southeast Asian countries next year under a regional free trade agreement.

The newspaper said that there are more than 130,000 overseas workers in Indonesia.

Asked whether expatriates already in the country would also need to pass a language test, Moedjiman said no decision had yet been taken.

----------

JAKARTA, Indonesia (Reuters) -- Indonesia will require overseas people seeking work permits to master the local language if their jobs involve regular interaction with Indonesians, an official has said.

Well that explains it, doesn't it. So all you need to to is to make sure your job description explains you will not have any regular interaction with the locals. Shouldn't be too difficult methinks.