Ed Visa: Unknown Notif. Of Add. Due Date

Dear all,

I hold a one entry ED visa valid for a year which needs to be extended at the immigration office every three months.

My current extension of stay will expire on November 1st. Another date - the "notification of address" due date - which was written on a separate piece of paper, was prior to that. The problem is that an immigration officer at the airport removed the piece of paper a few days ago, and of course I cannot remember what that date was.

I tried to call immigration at 02 141 9889 but they cannot understand what I'm talking about and advised me to call 1178. I tried to call this number several times but nobody is picking up the phone.

Does anybody know what happens if I report to immigration after the "notification of address" due date (but, of course, before the extension of stay expiration date)?

Any help is highly appreciated.

F.P.

A one entry ED-visa is valid for 3 months, only a multiple entry Ed-visa is valid for 1 year.

Why did you went to the airport? If you left the country, the 90 day clock for reporting starts again from day 1 the day you returned. So your next report of your address will be 90 days after that. This is seprerate from your permission to stay.

A one entry ED-visa is valid for 3 months, only a multiple entry Ed-visa is valid for 1 year.

Why did you went to the airport? If you left the country, the 90 day clock for reporting starts again from day 1 the day you returned. So your next report of your address will be 90 days after that. This is seprerate from your permission to stay.

Ok, sorry about that. I hold a one entry ED, forget the "one year" thing. Every three months I need to go to the immigration office and get an extension of stay. I went to the airport because I needed to leave the country for a few weeks but I obtained a valid re-entry permit prior to that. So my extension of stay is still valid until Nov 1st. But the problem remains: I don't know what the "notification of address" due date is because the officer removed the paper from the passport. And I don't know what happens if I report after that date.

Any idea?

Cheers

As was mentioned in a previous post when you EXIT thailand the 90 day calendar for reporting stops. That's probably why Immigrations at the airport took the paper out.

When you ENTER thailand the 90 calendar for reporting starts over again. So your NEXT 90 day reporting will be 89 days from the day you returned to thailand (entering counts as a full day). What day were you stamped back into thailand? That's the day you start counting the 90 days from. It has NOTHING to do with your current extension of stay validity.

90 day reporting and extending your visa every 90 days are NOT tied together at all.

They run under two separate calendars.

Edited by tod-daniels

As was mentioned in a previous post when you EXIT thailand the 90 day calendar for reporting stops. That's probably why Immigrations at the airport took the paper out.

When you ENTER thailand the 90 calendar for reporting starts over again. So your NEXT 90 day reporting will be 89 days from the day you returned to thailand (entering counts as a full day). What day were you stamped back into thailand? That's the day you start counting the 90 days from. It has NOTHING to do with your current extension of stay validity.

90 day reporting and extending your visa every 90 days are NOT tied together at all.

They run under two separate calendars.

Hi Tod, I think you are talking about the multiple entry ED. I don't hold that one. I hold a single entry: I get an extension of stay every three months at immigration, no need to get out of the country. If I go out of the country I need to ask for a re-entry permit and when I come back the officer will stamp on the passport the same date as in the previous extension of stay. In my case still Nov 1st. The officer shouldn't have removed the paper, as I already did the same thing in the past and it never happened.

To make it simple just forget about the fact that I got out of the country, as in my case it doesn't change the dates. The only doubt is about that notification of address due date: I don't know when it is and I would like to know what happens in case I overdue it even though I report before the extension of stay expires.

Thanks

Oh...I got what you mean now!

My extension of stay will expire on Nov 1st but I'll have to notify the address not later than 90 days after I entered the country...if that is so then it's great...thanks!

You got it, ;)

The day you re-entered thailand restarted your 90 day reporting clock, and again has NOTHING to do with when your next 90 day extension of stay comes up, but EVERYTHING to do with 'have you been in thailand longer than 90 calendar days".

Look at the date you were stamped BACK into thailand and count 90 days. You've got a week either side of that date to do your 90 day reporting. If you're late you will usually garner a 2000baht fine, but it can be as high as the posted fine of 5000baht if you're pissy with them.

Good luck. ..

You got it, ;)

The day you re-entered thailand restarted your 90 day reporting clock, and again has NOTHING to do with when your next 90 day extension of stay comes up, but EVERYTHING to do with 'have you been in thailand longer than 90 calendar days".

Look at the date you were stamped BACK into thailand and count 90 days. You've got a week either side of that date to do your 90 day reporting. If you're late you will usually garner a 2000baht fine, but it can be as high as the posted fine of 5000baht if you're pissy with them.

Good luck. ..

its depend how manny days you late 7 days no fine 8 days 2000 baht fine

Example for clarification of my understanding:

1 Jan 2011 Entry Thailand with ed visa valid from 20 Dez 2010

1feb-1 March away in Vietnam

first time I have to report to Immigration would then be 28 April (90 days in Thailand)

lets assume I leave Thailand no more I would then be issued my last 90 Days on 28 October and that would take me to Jan 28 2012.

Is this view correct?

Thanks!

Example for clarification of my understanding:

1 Jan 2011 Entry Thailand with ed visa valid from 20 Dez 2010

1feb-1 March away in Vietnam

first time I have to report to Immigration would then be 28 April (90 days in Thailand)

lets assume I leave Thailand no more I would then be issued my last 90 Days on 28 October and that would take me to Jan 28 2012.

Is this view correct?

Thanks!

No, it's not the number of days you are in Thailand on that visa. It is a notification you will be in Thailand MORE THAN 90 days consecutively. So, when you leave the country and come back, on your return date this date becomes your 1st day. So, in your example, March 1 is the day you begin your 90 day clock. You report again 90 days from March 1 (assuming you haven't left and come back again...)

When you leave the country, just throw away the old 90 day notice paper and then start counting your 90 days from the day you return.

Edited by Bubbalicious

"No, it's not the number of days you are in Thailand on that visa. It is a notification you will be in Thailand MORE THAN 90 days consecutively. So, when you leave the country and come back, on your return date this date becomes your 1st day. So, in your example, March 1 is the day you begin your 90 day clock. You report again 90 days from March 1 (assuming you haven't left and come back again...)

When you leave the country, just throw away the old 90 day notice paper and then start counting your 90 days from the day you return"

Thank you very much for your answer!

For me it is very important to have a residence in Thailand on 31.12.2011. So when I come back from another country on 1 December 2011 I will get another 90 days that will take me to 1 March 2012 correct? Is that the reason that some people refer to the ED Visa as a 15 month visa? Do you have to pay every time the 1900 Baht when you come back from abroad or is the visa fee only applicable when I prolong for another 90 days ? Thank you!

1,900 baht is an extension of stay - not a visa. Do you have a multi entry non immigrant ED visa or a single entry? A single entry stay would end on leaving and only a re-entry permit would keep the stay alive (but only the stay you already had - not a new 90 days).