Bangkok Residents Along Chao Phya Brace For Flash Floods

webfact

Residents along Chao Phya brace for flash floods today

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A total of 1,273 Bangkok-based households located along the Chao Phya river banks and major canals in 13 districts are bracing for flash floods this afternoon as flood water - including a colossal amount of water released from major dams - flowing from the North and Central regions is scheduled to reach the capital today.

The 13 districts are in the Vibhavadi sector comprising Bang Sue district, Rattanakosin sector comprising three districts, Chao Phya sector comprising another three districts, Thon Buri sector comprising four districts, and Taksin sector comprising one district.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration said water from the Pa Sak Chollasit dam in Lop Buri and and Chai Phya dam in Chaiyanat province was the main threat to the Chao Phya swelling. Makeshift flood embankments consisting of four million sandbags have been built alongside the riverbank.

The Royal Irrigation Department said it was important to control the volume of water released at 2,333 cubic meters per second. If the volume exceeded 2,830, Bangkok and five other provinces would be faced with sudden flooding.

Meanwhile, at least 27 city communities in Samut Prakan, Samut Songkhram and Samut Sakhon provinces are still at risk of flash floods due to seasonal high tides 1.1 metres above sea level from Sunday to next Wednesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-20

Related topic and weather forecast:

Weather warning: Thailand's worst flooding in 50 years

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On top of all this, the influence of Typhoon MEGI, now over the South China Sea, coming from the Philippines and heading for China's main coast in the Hong Kong region, will be felt also.

Lots of more rain to come.

It's time Thailand should invest more and work harder on Water Management, otherwise the disaster will be immense and beyond everybodies imagination.

And, what's more: you won't be able anymore to read the news here on Thaivisa since everything will not be functioning anymore.

Total failure and collapse of the infrastructure.

The biggest threat -one day- is coming from a very serious flooding, like there is now, coming from the North and Central, in combination with an exceptional storm, blowing the water in the gulf of Thailand, pushing it to the Bangkok shores.

Both flows will meet in the Bangkok region and the disaster will be complete, forcing Thailand into the greatest misery of it's existence.

It's not a question IF, but WHEN !

LaoPo

On top of all this, the influence of Typhoon MEGI, now over the South China Sea, coming from the Philippines and heading for China's main coast in the Hong Kong region, will be felt also.

It's time Thailand should invest more and work harder on Water Management, otherwise the disaster will be immense and beyond everybodies imagination.

And, what's more: you won't be able anymore to read the news here on Thaivisa since everything will not be functioning anymore.

The biggest threat -one day- is coming from a very serious flooding, like there is now, coming from the North and Central, in combination with an exceptional storm, blowing the water in the gulf of Thailand, pushing it to the Bangkok shores.

Both flows will meet in the Bangkok region and the disaster will be complete, forcing Thailand into the greatest misery of it's existence.

LaoPo

LaoPo,

Can you be sure? What time do you think the water will hit Bangkok?

Is it wise to leave today? Do you think it is that serious? Any other views?

Flood Currents to Reach Bkk Today Around 5 PM

Officials are warning Bangkok residents who live alone the Chao Phraya River to be aware of swelling river currents as flood water from Northern Thailand reaches the capital. The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has prepared around 400,000 sandbags to protect areas around the river bank.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-20

footer_n.gif

LaoPo

The perfect storm.

Why on earth are they calling this phenomenon a 'flash' flood. It sounds like areas along the river are subject to possible flooding, but there is nothing 'flash' about it.

If it rises really quickly then it would probably be considered a flash flood.

Why on earth are they calling this phenomenon a 'flash' flood. It sounds like areas along the river are subject to possible flooding, but there is nothing 'flash' about it.

So anyone think its better to leave Bangkok if can do?

No.

There may be flooding, but I doubt it will be worse today than flooding that has been experienced in Bangkok in the past. I remember hearing stories of swimming on Sukhumwit!

I've always somehow avoided them (knock on wood), but I agree with LaoPo that it is a "when", not "if", scenario. Every year we talk about how they should expand the city sewer system, manage the khlongs better, and stop people from clogging up the sewers with their garbage and cooking refuse (all those street stalls pouring hot fat, etc down the sewers). Every year, nothing gets done.

I still think that Thailand would be smart to follow Malaysia, and create a new capital somewhere that won't sink and is on higher ground. At least infrastructure can be maintained where it will be needed to coordinate a response if everywhere else goes down.

Edited by Meridian007

LaoPo

The perfect storm.

Question is - will anyone take notice and more importantly - will anyone act?

Northern run-off to hit Bangkok; flood worrisome in several provinces

BANGKOK, Oct 20 – Flooding in several areas remains worrisome as the water level in the main rivers is still rising , while the northern run-off is due to reach the capital on Wednesday afternoon.

The water level in a number of several reservoirs and dams in the central and northeastern provinces has swollen and spilled over into low-lying areas, causing extensive flooding.

Several provinces in the upper part of the country are facing floods from over-capacity rivers. In Phichit, the water level in the Yom River passing Sam Ngam, Pho Prathap Chang, Pho Thale, and Bungnarang districts is rising after a week of heavy rain in the upper North, triggering northern run-off flowing into Phichit.

Low-lying communities in Samngam district have been submerged under one metre of water. Children and the elderly have fallen ill with colds, athlete’s foot and suffering from stress.

In Angthong, north of Bangkok, the water level in the Chao Phraya River is increasing continuously. Local residents have been forced to move their belongings to higher ground.

The northern run-off is likely to hit the capital of Bangkok Wednesday afternoon.

The Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat and Pa Sak Jolasid Dam in Lopburi are releasing water into the Chao Phraya River, Thailand's main river, running through the country’s central plain before ahead of high tide from Oct 23-26.

Bangkok have used four million sand bags to build embankment along the river in the capital’s 13 districts. High flood water is likely to hit twenty-seven communities outside flood protective dikes. Canal water levels in Bangkok’s suburban area of Nong Chok is higher than usual, said district chief Pinyo Pinkaew, adding that the authorities are monitoring the situation. If a vast amount of water flows into the area, the district will drain it into canals in Lad Krabang district and to the Gulf of Thailand in Samut Prakan province later to avoid possible flooding in Bangkok.

Currently the water level in Nong Chok district is 1.10 metre above from the sea level, according to BMA Department of Drainage and Sewerage director Sanya Chenimit. Ninety millimetres of rain fell into the area Tuesday night and residents living along the waterways may be affected by the from swollen water. However, the department is draining and pumping the water from such areas. In a related development, Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit instructed local health authorities in hardest-hit Nakhon Ratchasima to stop evacuating patients at Nakhon Ratchasima Rajanagarindra Psychiatric Hospital and Maharaj Hospital, which have been flooded as deep as one metre, because the situation has improved and the water has begun receding.

However, the minister will visit Nakhon Ratchasima province to meet and discuss with officials concerned to map out relief measures as well as visit the affected patients. In addition, Mr Jurin ordered mobile medical units to travel to affected provinces countrywide to help flood victims. The units provide both physical and psychological treatment for affected residents.

Thirteen provinces in the Northeast, East and Central Region are facing flooding. The critical situations are reported in five provinces including Nakhon Ratchasima, Si Sa Ket, Lopburi, Nakhon Sawan, Prachinburi. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-10-20

LaoPo

Doom! Doom! Run away!

Megi is expected to make landfall about 250 km northeast of Hong Kong, move inland, and dissipate about 200 km north of Hong Kong. I really doubt that Megi will have any effect whatsoever in Bangkok, which would be about 2000 km to the southeast.

Current tracking model for Megi

What a disaster! They should invest billions of dollars immediately and never mind that Thaivisa is hosted in Singapore.

i think LaoPo was refering to the internet connection needed to read TV, as this wouldnt work, ( when it rains the internet doesnt work, dread to think when its a flood )

...not to mention if we happen to lose Greenland [An inconvenient Truth. Al Gore. 2006]

We all share the same concerns sir.

Any chance of quoting a source or any substantive data?

Cheers.

LaoPo

Edited by mrpositive

Sorry folks I dont mean to gloat, but I warned of this event 6 months ago when the drought was in full force and La Nina was growing.

I am a boy scout and the motto is "be prepared" clearly my warning was not taken seriously here or when I posted a message to the meteorological society of Thailand. I was ignored and I did not get any replies.

This is not over, did you ever see a floating taxi on Sukhumvit? You will hang around. The next wave of rains are expected to bring 5 inches per hour you wont like this much but it is already in the making. It may not happen, but what the heck?

"be prepared"

What a disaster! They should invest billions of dollars immediately and never mind that Thaivisa is hosted in Singapore.

i think LaoPo was refering to the internet connection needed to read TV, as this wouldnt work, ( when it rains the internet doesnt work, dread to think when its a flood )

The good news is we will maybe have 3G.

OK ... I'm out ....

Yes, that's why the flash ad is automatically switched on :

BUY BOATS ON THIS CLASSIFIED ADS SITE>>>

Just a funny touch to a grim news...:D

No.

Yeah, come to Korat.

HL :D

About a year and a half ago my niece, who was 12 at the time, was reading something, and then came and told me she was scared. I asked her why and she said that according to what she was reading, which was supposed to be a very old Buddhist text, that in the year 2053 that BKK would be "lost to the sea" and be completely gone. She didn't care about BKK, but was worried about what might happen in Chiang Mai if that did happen. I told her we'd be fine.

:whistling:

There may be flooding, but I doubt it will be worse today than flooding that has been experienced in Bangkok in the past. I remember hearing stories of swimming on Sukhumwit!

I've always somehow avoided them (knock on wood), but I agree with LaoPo that it is a "when", not "if", scenario. Every year we talk about how they should expand the city sewer system, manage the khlongs better, and stop people from clogging up the sewers with their garbage and cooking refuse (all those street stalls pouring hot fat, etc down the sewers). Every year, nothing gets done.

I still think that Thailand would be smart to follow Malaysia, and create a new capital somewhere that won't sink and is on higher ground. At least infrastructure can be maintained where it will be needed to coordinate a response if everywhere else goes down.

If not,the Red Shirts will simply wear floatation devices for their next "rally".

About a year and a half ago my niece, who was 12 at the time, was reading something, and then came and told me she was scared. I asked her why and she said that according to what she was reading, which was supposed to be a very old Buddhist text, that in the year 2053 that BKK would be "lost to the sea" and be completely gone. She didn't care about BKK, but was worried about what might happen in Chiang Mai if that did happen. I told her we'd be fine.

2053 Buddhist year? ie 500 years ago?

2053 Christian year? ie in 43 years?

or just a typo and you meant 2553?

2053 Buddhist year? ie 500 years ago?

2053 Christian year? ie in 43 years?

or just a typo and you meant 2553?

Yep! :jap:

How do they know it's exactly 1,273 households?

Isn't Thai reporting great. Always accurate to the nth degree.

Accuracy is highly overrated ! -- mere details -- sensationalism is far more important.

You will notice that the number of sandbags is reported as one million in the first article. It drops to 400, 00 in a later article, and then rises ( no doubt for effect) to 4 million in a later article. Four million sandbags is a very major mobilization of sandbags !

Sorry folks I dont mean to gloat, but I warned of this event 6 months ago when the drought was in full force and La Nina was growing.

I am a boy scout and the motto is "be prepared" clearly my warning was not taken seriously here or when I posted a message to the meteorological society of Thailand. I was ignored and I did not get any replies.

This is not over, did you ever see a floating taxi on Sukhumvit? You will hang around. The next wave of rains are expected to bring 5 inches per hour you wont like this much but it is already in the making. It may not happen, but what the heck?

"be prepared"

Be prepared, ok let´s put floating equipment on the taxis and what else whistling.gif

Yes, that's why the flash ad is automatically switched on :

BUY BOATS ON THIS CLASSIFIED ADS SITE>>>

Just a funny touch to a grim news...:D

I got an ad for Chaopraya Dinner Cruise near the bottom of this thread. Maybe a better time spent while surrounded by water anyways. wink.gif

I vote Pattaya for the new Capital of Thailand - yippee

At the time of writing this post its bright and sunny outside.

Please can anyone list all the roads/important sois which are expected to be flooded?

Sukhumvit road and all its major sois goes without mentioning I believe

Good thing we have BTS and we can all glide over the flood like riding Noah's Arch.