Powerline Products..

LivinLOS

I am moving home and instead of the usual hassle of retrofitting (I end up running CAT5 or 6 into all the bedrooms for media centers and dreamboxes etc) I am thinking I may go with powerline stuff.

Anyone used it yet ?? Especially the 500 Mbps newer stuff.

How far does it go ?? Does it have problems going 'upstream' of trip switches ?? The house I am looking at has multiple trip boxes and an outdoor deck / pool area thats a distance from the house.. Would ideally like a music playing media center out in the BBQ area and wonder how far that is running on the electric system.

Is it stable and does it re-establish connections ?? I have d-link switches on my bedroom branches and they are a pain, needing a power cycle for no reason.. Hence cant be put into attic space and left.

Does Thailand unstable power have any issues ??

Any source in Thailand of these (again esp the 500 Mbps ones.. 200 if I must) ?? I will need a fair few 'nodes' maybe 6 plus.

Running 200MBps Netgear adaptors 4 of them and AV powerline hub. Very reliable but only tested within the condo. Speed is around 140-150mbps for them on average.

Definitely more consistent throughput over Wireless N and B/G.

Got them from amazon via shipitto.com. I have seen them in Fortune tho but limited stock.

Edited by negreanu

Whats the largest cable run distance you have ?? I may have 40 - 50m for one node (the garden one).

Also that has me thinking security ?? As I dont think theres a encryption feature like over wifi ?? So how far / close could other people pick up that net ?? Or do the adapters 'mate' with the hub ??

There is Encryption on Netgear powerline products u can choose the password same wireless.

I would say the furthest node is in a straight line for me is 15-18m. But full signal strength at that range. I would think 50m on 200mbps product u could expect 100-120mbps.

Never seen the new 500mbps netgear products in stock anywhere in thailand or indeed even on amazon.com

You might struggle for the 200mbps in fortune last time i was there they had 85mbps. Emporium has some 200mbps products in the powermall but not a recognisable brand to me.

Did not see 500Mbps units at our suppliers yet.

200Mbps easily available, all I saw had encryption.

In the real life the performance depended very much on what other electric equipment was plugged in. There were cases when powerline adapters did not work at all near "noisy" devices.

If you have 50 m straight stretch of cable without these high-interference devices around then 200Mbps unit should work no problem.