Big Catfish Not Medium

thaibound2

after sampling the cat fishing here in bangkok i need help and advice!!!!!!

what bait is best? what line is best?

and how can i target the big fish specifically not the 20-30kg range even though they are great sport, im after a trophy fish

cheers

james

james if you really want big catfish go to bung samlan lake on soi 42 nawamin road bangkok, not cheap but awsome size catties over 160 kg also big carp over 120 kg and brazilian arapaya thrown in for good measure, as for baits bread is a fav mixed with various flavourings, but the guides there will help

tight lines scottyB)

james if you really want big catfish go to bung samlan lake on soi 42 nawamin road bangkok, not cheap but awsome size catties over 160 kg also big carp over 120 kg and brazilian arapaya thrown in for good measure, as for baits bread is a fav mixed with various flavourings, but the guides there will help

tight lines scottyB)

Agree with you, although there are other ponds that do have big mekongs, Bungsamran is the place if you want to specifically target huge mekongs and cahos. Catching endless 20 to 40kg mekongs can be monotonous and tiring. I will be moving next month to live in Bangkok and also my friend Steve will leave UK end of November to fish 3 months in Thailand. His game is big cahos.

I will be fishing at Bungsamran and welcome you to join us.

tight lines scottyB)

Agree with you, although there are other ponds that do have big mekongs, Bungsamran is the place if you want to specifically target huge mekongs and cahos. Catching endless 20 to 40kg mekongs can be monotonous and tiring. I will be moving next month to live in Bangkok and also my friend Steve will leave UK end of November to fish 3 months in Thailand. His game is big cahos.

Ill be in BSR a few times. We might be able to meet up. I will be at shadow lake / ngau nam mainly. I am going to try get the fish there to take home made boilies. Just love experimenting and it might go wrong but just the trying is fun.

tight lines scottyB)

Ill be in BSR a few times. We might be able to meet up. I will be at shadow lake / ngau nam mainly. I am going to try get the fish there to take home made boilies. Just love experimenting and it might go wrong but just the trying is fun.

robblok how would you try the boilies? i wodered about trying them also on a hair rig !

scotty

tight lines scottyB)

robblok how would you try the boilies? i wodered about trying them also on a hair rig !

scotty

I would try them on a hair rig, still have to get them. But i think you have to feed the lake you go a few times before they will really take them. For me that means baiting them at shadow lake a few times.

The reason boilies work in the UK and Holland and so on is not because of taste but because the hook is bare and with a normal hair rig you have better hooking quality as bait with a hook inside. Actually in theory it should blow all those Thai rigs out of the water. (but that is just theory). I got the idea after watching some corda underwater carp fishing dvd's. Also watched some Nash about rig evolution and a lot of the things they said (besides wanting to sell their stuff) made sense.

The hooking quality of a hair rig is what makes boilies so good. The only problem will be getting the fish to get to take them. Its not what they are used to. I think with proper baiting over time the fish will take them and you will catch more then normally because of the hooking quality. However be prepared to catch less at first. Anyway i always fish with 2 rods so i could try it for a long time. I ordered my own boilie rolling table from the UK so i will be making them in the future. Its all a big experiment. But that is what i like aobut fishing. I am no carp expert and have seldom fished with boilies back home. So i could be totally wrong. But after the vids and seeing underwater how fish feed.

The one thing was there are constantly fish playing with your bait picking it up and dropping it. Most of the time you dont notice that. I never imagined this but it was shown on underwater video. The problem was just hooking them and without a hair right that would have been harder. That is why people started to catch more with boilies (not because its good bait but because you have a bigger hooking chance). I also bought some pva bags, will be fun to try those too.

Anyway will have to wait till this month is over im working to hard and its hard to take breaks until the end of the month. Plus the stuff wont arrive till later.

If anyone wants to go fishing with me early November in shadow lake let me know and we can meet up there.

For bsr i would not know i only know that i catch a lot less when i go alone without a guide. I dont know why because i cast as far as they do. SO it might be bait im sure its not my setup because i only use a class stuff. Next month around the 13th i will be fishing BSR with dad and brother then i will hire a guide for my bro. I will be looking and learning from what the guy does differently then me.

Just a bit enthusiastic i cant wait to fish i haven't been fishing this whole month. Working every day.

Sorry thaibound for hijacking your threat.

I can only give advice for ngau nam, for the big fish either use lam om a spiral or use massage bread directly on a larg hook with foam on it (the foam is to make sure the massage bread wont fall off)

For bsr i would not know i only know that i catch a lot less when i go alone without a guide. I dont know why because i cast as far as they do. SO it might be bait im sure its not my setup because i only use a class stuff. Next month around the 13th i will be fishing BSR with dad and brother then i will hire a guide for my bro. I will be looking and learning from what the guy does differently then me.

Hello Roblok

When you confirm your fishing date at Bungsamran contact me. I may be in Bangkok by then but if I am not there I will ask Wee,guide at Bungsamran,to open my locker to pass you some rigs and fluorocarbon leader. It will be better date near end of November as I will going back to Singapore for a couple of weeks then to Bangkok.

If you are casting big baits a long way then Fluro Carbon is a must as the extra pressure caused when casting these big baits will snap ordinary line, you do not cast big baits a long way at BSR so there is no need for Fluro Carbon, personnaly if I did use it it would be for its high abrasion resistance qualities something you do need when fishing from BSR bungalows...

Although fluorocarbon is abrasive resistance my reason to use them is low visibility of line,no refraction,don't absorb water and higher density than water-heavier than water- as I always use float-line sits straight down-for mekongs at Bungsamran. length of leader 6ft to 10ft depends whether it's bungalow 29 or 30 and water level. Never use float for cahos.

Although fluorocarbon is abrasive resistance my reason to use them is low visibility of line,no refraction,don't absorb water and higher density than water-heavier than water- as I always use float-line sits straight down-for mekongs at Bungsamran. length of leader 6ft to 10ft depends whether it's bungalow 29 or 30 and water level. Never use float for cahos.

Not sure I understand that as the Mekong at BSR are not shy and you would catch with a piece of rope, on waters where the fish are very shy then yes using light line or low visibility line would be best, but then what do I know!!! as I said before in my 2 days there I did not see anyone using shock leader, but if that is what you like to do and it works then its all good!!! another point is 10ft of Fluro Carbon which is about 1000 bht for 30 mtrs is a very expensive way to fish.

May plan to go BSR Jan for a couple of days Cha Am before, maybe for 1 week.