What Big Gift For Myself When I Finally Leave Thailand?

Grawburg

I'll still be here for another 1.5 years, but when I do leave what "souvenir" should I get...I'm not talking t-shirt, I mean something big and cool?!?!? I already got a pretty good size wall carving Chiang Mai - but what about here in BKK.

I don't want some huge, 20 ton Buddha or something, but what would be a cool, big gift to remember my years here?

Sponsor an orphan, have her send to school etc. and let her visit you one day...

I like this.

If sponsoring is like parenting.... does that not mean that that would be like incest with your daughter (albeit not blood)?

Is that a little noncey?

back on topic - i'd take one of the beaches with me biggrin.gif

Sponsor an orphan, have her send to school etc. and let her visit you one day...

I like this.

If sponsoring is like parenting.... does that not mean that that would be like incest with your daughter (albeit not blood)?

Is that a little noncey?

back on topic - i'd take one of the beaches with me :D

It's a free world :D

Great idea, but I'm already sponsoring too many back in the village!!!!

We are all doing this by simple living here, spending our money on a daily basis is to the benefit of the Thai people, many of them are poor, and the daily farang spending ... in nightclubs, bars, and on the pavements of food & general goods sellers results in additional income for those people including sending their children to school.

In addition, farangs also donate money to various charities and that includes orphans as well as poor elderly people in need of support.

To sponsor an 'individual' is a life long activity and not always financially achievable, charity donations on the other hand are more flexible and have the advantage of benefiting several individuals including orphans .

However, in order to take a sentimental Thai item back home (as the OP wishes) well, an enlarged photo of a 'Chang' beer bottle surrounded with a golden frame and placed on the wall in his living room at home will continue to sentimentally connect him with Thailand !! ... Hmm.

Edited by personchester

Get a Buddhist themed tattoo, the old bamboo and ink, that covers your arm or your whole back. Lot's of idiot's do that, and they aren't even Buddhist, just stupid wanna be's. Lot'sa backpackers get them too. Just too cool...........

Wow! that certainly is a big chip on your shoulder :)

Great idea, but I'm already sponsoring too many back in the village!!!!

We are all doing this by simple living here, spending our money on a daily basis is to the benefit of the Thai people, many of them are poor, and the daily farang spending ... in nightclubs, bars, and on the pavements of food & general goods sellers results in additional income for those people including sending their children to school.

In addition, farangs also donate money to various charities and that includes orphans as well as poor elderly people in need of support.

To sponsor an 'individual' is a life long activity and not always financially achievable, charity donations on the other hand are more flexible and have the advantage of benefiting several individuals including orphans .

However, in order to take a sentimental Thai item back home (as the OP wishes) well, an enlarged photo of a 'Chang' beer bottle surrounded with a golden frame and placed on the wall in his living room at home will continue to sentimentally connect him with Thailand !! ... Hmm.

What about the farangs here on a UK state pension, the guy on the married visa who struggles to get 400k every year, do they contribute a significant amount.

The farang here on a expat package, paying income tax certainly contributes, but the others, I don’t think so.