Off Shore Banking ?

I am looking for and would like advice on whether there is such a thing as a good international bank. I would like a card which can be used easily in the atms of most countries, attracts few fees and charges, and I would like a credit card as well. I would like a bank which is used to dealing with people who travel, who are willing to post to different addresses, when physical posting is required. What I am getting at is that I am tired of dealing with a national bank.

note, I am not looking for a tax dodge or to hide 'bad' money, just a convenient way to access my money while travelling.

Any suggestions/advice?

I have an HSBC "online" savings account and they pretty much cover everything you listed.

I opened the account online, and when I did they had one of the highest intrest rates around (back in the good 'ol days)......use to love seeing that free money roll in every month.

Good luck!

I have an HSBC "online" savings account and they pretty much cover everything you listed.

I opened the account online, and when I did they had one of the highest intrest rates around (back in the good 'ol days)......use to love seeing that free money roll in every month.

Good luck!

Or try Citi International personal banking (IPB) in Singapore, put US$ 25k with them and no banking fees if you maintain your balance of 25k, not much good to you if you are a US Citizen however...:whistling:

From my own experience I think the OP will have problems with the credit card unless he keeps a very large amount in his account.

Thanks guys for the advice. Credit card is not a priority. Just a bank which does not regard a phone call from outside oz as evidence of moral laxity, and possible terrorism.

Good luck!

Or try Citi International personal banking (IPB) in Singapore, put US$ 25k with them and no banking fees if you maintain your balance of 25k, not much good to you if you are a US Citizen however...:whistling:

Can I open Citi International bank on the internet?

Good luck!

I am in the process of opening a Citi Sing account. They require physical copies of passport. When my application is ready I will post all to Sing. A rather delightful girl spoke to me on the phone to answer my questions and make me feel happy.

Good luck!

Yes, but you still need to send copies of your passport, if you are an American citizen they also my be reluctant to open the account, not saying they will not open an account, but the first question they asked me was whether I was a US citizen and had to sign a declaration I wasnt

I use Standard Bank in the Isle of Man and found them to be very good. USD, Euro or Sterling accounts with a 5k minimum. Internet banking where you can arrange transfers and send them secure messages as well. if you call them someone actually picks up the phone and you can sort anything out in minutes. You get a "Client Relationship Manager" who you can call direct. I work all over the world and never had any problems. Highly recommend them.

I use Standard Bank in the Isle of Man and found them to be very good. USD, Euro or Sterling accounts with a 5k minimum. Internet banking where you can arrange transfers and send them secure messages as well. if you call them someone actually picks up the phone and you can sort anything out in minutes. You get a "Client Relationship Manager" who you can call direct. I work all over the world and never had any problems. Highly recommend them.

Ditto.

Switched to Standard Bank myself when HSBC inroduced the 25 GBP monthly fees, you can get a cheque book from them but no credit card. Best keep your existing CC.

I was amazed last week though when I received my renewed HSBC CC through the post here in Thailand. They had previously refused to send it by post and would only send to a UK address. More amazing was I didn't have any problems validating it by 'phone, although I have yet to try to use it.

Ditto.

Switched to Standard Bank myself when HSBC inroduced the 25 GBP monthly fees, you can get a cheque book from them but no credit card. Best keep your existing CC.

I was amazed last week though when I received my renewed HSBC CC through the post here in Thailand. They had previously refused to send it by post and would only send to a UK address. More amazing was I didn't have any problems validating it by 'phone, although I have yet to try to use it.

Odd, HSBC UK sends my new credit cards to my home address in Thailand without a problem - also, it's easy to validate the credit cards on-line.

Ditto.

Odd, HSBC UK sends my new credit cards to my home address in Thailand without a problem - also, it's easy to validate the credit cards on-line.

2 years ago when I received my last renewed HSBC CC they refused to send by post to Thailand and would only send to a UK address. I had them sent to my HSBC bank branch and they sent them to me by DHL.

Either they've changed their policy or figured as now I don't have a HSBC account there'll be no UK address to send it to.

Don't you need to have an account with HSBC to validate online?

Edit: seems like there's a possibility to register for internet banking using the CC number. I'll try that out when I get home tonight as I now have no access to my CC statements through my old account.

Edited by PattayaParent

Do you have to fly to isle of man to open them ?

If you only need an account in GBP and also need a Credit Card there are other options.

I chose Standard Bank as I need accounts in other currencies also with no monthly fees and was prepared to forgo the CC for that, especially considering the past hassles I've had with the HSBC CC.

Do you have to fly to isle of man to open them ?

If you only need an account in GBP and also need a Credit Card there are other options.

I chose Standard Bank as I need accounts in other currencies also with no monthly fees and was prepared to forgo the CC for that, especially considering the past hassles I've had with the HSBC CC.

I dont need a c/c.....but I do need US$ and I like no fees....

I am going with Citi Bank, Singapore.

Anyone had any experience with this bank, good or bad?

If Citibank International personal banking (Citi IPB), then cannot fault them, been with them nearly 7 years and always excellent service, cant do enough for you