This Quick Fix For Thai Schools Is Failing Our Children

webfact

EDITORIAL

This quick fix for schools is failing our children

By The Nation

Plan to declare English as second language in classroom ignores real problem: huge class sizes and outdated teaching methods

The debate on whether the Education Ministry should declare English as the second language in schools does not address the root cause of the problems in Thai schools. The real issue is the quality of teaching, not just of English but of all the subjects that students need to learn to be equipped for the future. Thai students already spend several hours on each subject per week in the classroom. What remains highly debatable, however, is whether schools give their students the quality time essential to learning.

The attempt to declare English as the second language in the classroom is an admirable thing and shows we are concerned over the low quality of learning. Knowledge of English undoubtedly broadens students' opportunities for learning. But it does not take a grand ambition to place English as the second language to solve the problem. Educators can tackle the issue effectively if they themselves are willing to learn and remain open-minded.

Every Thai student already studies English, but the average level of proficiency is highly questionable. Many teachers have not received training to improve their skills, or access to new knowledge. Some simply don't have the language skills to teach English. This means that many of our students are stuck with unqualified teachers day in, day out.

Although educators often claim they want to prepare students for the fast-changing world, most Thai schools still operate in the same way as their predecessors half a century ago. Typically, up to 50 students are crammed into one classroom and subjected to robotic learning by rote. Teaching methods have barely changed over the years. One change we can expect to see, though, is a drop in the quality of teachers, as their low pay means that teaching is no longer a coveted profession.

The authorities are scrambling for a quick fix. Instead of getting to the root of the problem, they prefer to announce a big-budget programme under a "sexy" title. But spending money alone will not guarantee satisfactory results. It is a shame that money is being lavished on education but producing nothing for our kids.

Rather than debating the terms of our English teaching, educators should take a direct route to improving learning by, first, focusing on limiting the class size for each subject. This puts the priority on ensuring every student receives sufficient attention from teachers. The method of learning by rote does not inspire students to excel at subjects for which they show aptitude. The current classroom environment fails when it comes to promoting either multidimensional learning or students' self-esteem. Students are often judged simply on their ability to memorise lessons, meaning that those with other talents can feel discouraged and left out.

Teachers should also receive constant training, because we owe it to our students to provide them with the best possible schooling. Improvements could also be made if public schools drew more on the resources of progressive or international schools, which are more up to date with techniques.

Meanwhile, an open-minded attitude is essential among teachers and school principals; learning is a never-ending process. Efforts to get retiree native English-speakers to assist in Thai schools have been unsuccessful largely because of the cold reception from teachers who are more concerned about their turf and ego than their students. These teachers should be sacked.

Teaching our children to become good "global citizens" should also be on the agenda. For instance, they should be taught about conserving energy and the impact they can have on the environment. But responsibility and citizenship are not sufficiently addressed. Instead, youngsters only hear adults asking for their rights but refusing to be accountable.

And most importantly, students should be given belief in their capacity and ability. Rather than promoting youngsters' self-actualisation, schools tend to punish students who don't perform well in the robotic model of learning. Meaningful knowledge is sidelined in favour of teaching students to fit into a mould by achieving good grades.

Thai students need to learn more about their geography and history to see how this physical and cultural background has shaped them. This will then enable them to understand themselves better. In contrast, currently they are usually forced merely to memorise information without learning how to think with it.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-21

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The writer makes some good points. Overcrowding, antiquated teaching methods and poorly trained teachers are some of the big problems in the schools. The "no-fail" policy is another, but is inextricably linked to the culture of "losing face" on both the part of the school and the student, and the overcrowding problem.

However, I think the writer ignores one of the biggest problems with big budget education reform programs: corruption, which is rampant among the educational administrators in Thailand. Spending more money doesn't do any good, if it just lines the pockets of administrators.

With respect to the English as a second language declaration, while it is true that the proposal to recruit retired teachers from America got a poor reception from current TEFLers in Thailand, let's face the facts: why would any U.S. retired teacher travel 8,000-10,000 miles to work in overcrowded, under-resourced, poorly managed schools, for under $1,000 per month? It's just not going to happen.

When I read the title I thought they meant the quick fix was to fail our childern.

Sounds good to me if they can't do the work hold them back eventually they will come to understand that education is not just a social thing.

Yes the teachers could do a better job. (that is not to say that some of them are not doing the best they can and a great job of it.)

But it is time to get the students involved. After all did you want to stay behind a year or two and face the social stigma of being stupid.

Just a Suggestion. Not a end all be all solution but a part of one. :whistling:

As for them learning English Why? What about Chinese, I believe at this point just get them to read and do mathematics is far more important.

Edited by jayjay0

My experience here is that students have been learnt to read and speak some English,but have no idea what the words mean. I think the system need over hauling and the losing face is the big issue, teachers do not want to be shown up for not coming up with the goods. But hold on I have been speaking English for 60 years, dont expect to be as good as me, now how can I help you?

I was taken by a local senator to a school where I am living, I offered to come along and help with conversational English, a group just sit around and chat, that was a month ago, no one has got back to me. I think its the losing face thing, lets not put the students first.

Please do put them first and I can help you a couple of hours a week free.

This editorial reveals the need for fundamental reform. Educational issues, arguably the next in importance to health issues, need to be intergrated by which I mean, the goal has to be set--say, student-centered rather than teacher-centered or adminstration-centered classroom--and that goal will have many avenues to it. One avenue would be better pay to attract better people to teaching, along with more respect, but earned respect; another to reduce class size; another to train the incumbents in the new methodology and put them on a deadline and prepare the upcoming teachers. Look what could happen--great training in teaching, enough money to raise a family, satisfying activity, contribution to the nation... Here is an opportunity for the Thai people and their representatives to improve the quality of life in the Kingdom, and may they seize it with both heart and mind.

It also doesn't help when your universities suck too (although big improvements from Mahidol). Even my grade school decades ago had better facilities and bigger libraries.

The only way out is to send your kids to overpriced private schools. And even those don't guarantee a good education.

Kids should be learning Chinese, then English, then true diplomacy (non Thai) and international cultures.

But hold on I have been speaking English for 60 years, dont expect to be as good as me, now how can I help you?

I was taken by a local senator to a school where I am living, I offered to come along and help with conversational English, a group just sit around and chat, that was a month ago, no one has got back to me. I think its the losing face thing, lets not put the students first.

Face it: just being an old man and a native speaker in a certain language doesn't makes you to teacher of that language.

The writer makes some good points. Overcrowding, antiquated teaching methods and poorly trained teachers are some of the big problems in the schools. The "no-fail" policy is another, but is inextricably linked to the culture of "losing face" on both the part of the school and the student, and the overcrowding problem.

However, I think the writer ignores one of the biggest problems with big budget education reform programs: corruption, which is rampant among the educational administrators in Thailand. Spending more money doesn't do any good, if it just lines the pockets of administrators.

With respect to the English as a second language declaration, while it is true that the proposal to recruit retired teachers from America got a poor reception from current TEFLers in Thailand, let's face the facts: why would any U.S. retired teacher travel 8,000-10,000 miles to work in overcrowded, under-resourced, poorly managed schools, for under $1,000 per month? It's just not going to happen.

schools and educational systems need to be reformed world-wide. Globally we're on downward spiral.

In the US alone, every 9 seconds a student drops out from school. There is a reason why and we have not adjusted to the new circumstances. This has not reached Thailand yet but will be coming for sure.

Have it explained by a scientist here.

watch this clip. It's the forth from the top

The Secret Powers of Time (30 years of research)

schools and educational systems need to be reformed world-wide. Globally we're on downward spiral.

In the US alone, every 9 seconds a student drops out from school. There is a reason why and we have not adjusted to the new circumstances. This has not reached Thailand yet but will be coming for sure.

Have it explained by a scientist here.

watch this clip. It's the forth from the top

The Secret Powers of Time (30 years of research)

Hi there

Well I have been a volunteer teacher with my Thai wife in the province of Kanchanaburi, well outskirts and yes I have noticed the poor discipline and quality from the so called teachers and the students not at all motivated.

Prior to wanting to help my local school with a little bit of English, it appears that the Thai teachers are struggling to teach the children, in such a way, that they just do not understand. It is difficult to teach them anything, let alone English

Also the children are not allowed to have minds of their own and are not allowed to use their initiative, but follow the very poor teaching methods.

There seems to be little or no geography or history, about other cultures and yes like elsewhere it is a no fail situation, wherby the school does not lose face, or the teacher also, but the children leave school totally not prepared for adult life

Whist enjoying the teaching of English to those who want to learn, it is the overcrowding and indeed the very poor Man Management from the heads of schools, which then get filtered down to the teachers.

Before this amazing experience, I had never taught before, but always encouraged those who want to learn and indeed alot find it very, very difficult, but I do not mind as long as they try.

Saying this my Thai language is not at all good, but still keep trying via my wife, but it appears the subjects not moving at all, from several years ago.

But hold on I have been speaking English for 60 years, dont expect to be as good as me, now how can I help you?

Face it: just being an old man and a native speaker in a certain language doesn't makes you to teacher of that language.

Please,what's so bad about being 60? I've met many older people doing a great job, so what's wrong? Doesn't matter where the people come from, there are good and bad teachers in all nationalities.

The gentleman was offered to help being a native English speaker, and as a matter of fact, lots of Thai English teachers can't even say one sentence in English as it should be. Thais and foreigners should be one team, without the " losing face" problem....

A student two years ago in Matthajom two said the right thing about the old methods of teaching English: "Students in Thailand have to learn a lot of Grammar, but they don't have the needed vocabulary to be able to use it."

As a result, many students are only copying stuff from the board into their books. Speaking and understanding are two very important skills to learn a language. :jap:

Edited by sirchai

I am an expat British retiree, I am also a qualified science teacher with experience of teaching English as a foreign language, I would like to offer my services for free to local schools but when I read my retirement visa rules I find that I cannot, even if I work for free I still need a work permit.

I have met many Thai teachers of English, I once was a guest at a conference of such, most could just about manage to hold down a job at the checkout of my local supermarket in England.

It also doesn't help when your universities suck too (although big improvements from Mahidol). Even my grade school decades ago had better facilities and bigger libraries.

The only way out is to send your kids to overpriced private schools. And even those don't guarantee a good education.

Kids should be learning Chinese, then English, then true diplomacy (non Thai) and international cultures.

Why, oh why should Thai children learn Chinese first?

To better be able to help China?

The English language is more or less the world language, even in China this is recognised.

Knowing Chinese gives one the possibility to do things with China and Chinese

With English it is possible to do business with nearly the whole world.

Edited by hansnl

My experience here is that students have been learnt to read and speak some English,but have no idea what the words mean. I think the system need over hauling and the losing face is the big issue, teachers do not want to be shown up for not coming up with the goods. But hold on I have been speaking English for 60 years, dont expect to be as good as me, now how can I help you?

Learning English will not solve the problem. It will help about as much as learning Thai back where you come from. Myself having a North American background can safely say it would be a waste of time in Canada The USA and Mexico.

Maybe be a big help in Europe can't comment on that.

Truth be known the big winners from Thai's speaking English is the expats who can't or won't learn Thai. Not sure witch I am nic noy

Edited by jayjay0

This is a well written article and makes some very valid points. From my experience, I think that the writer should have

included the "No Fail System" as part of the problem. It is compounded by the non government (Private) schools because

these schools are operated solely as a business. I know of a school in Bang Yai that has the envelopes with money

inside ready for the school inspectors when they come to the school. The inspectors never set foot inside a classroom.

[/quote

You are so right. They problem here is not so much the Thai teachers most of them try hard and my hat off to them. However they so called administrators almost all are a joke.

Learning English will not solve the problem. It will help about as much as learning Thai back where you come from. Myself having a North American background can safely say it would be a waste of time in Canada The USA and Mexico.

Truth be known the big winners from Thai's speaking English is the expats who can't or won't learn Thai. Not sure witch I am nic noy

Learning English is no automatic solution to the problem of how to teach children to think, apply logic, the feeling of having 'earned' something.

Thai who can speak / understand English may have an advantage over those who do not. Some jobs require it, looks good on a resume. Still in Thailand having graduated from a 'well known' university seems more important. Not because of quality of teaching, more because it assume you or your family have contacts ;)

• Like 1

[/quote/

You are so right. They problem here is not so much the Thai teachers most of them try hard and my hat off to them. However they so called administrators almost all are a joke.

The OP says

"Knowledge of English undoubtedly broadens students' opportunities for learning. But it does not take a grand ambition to place English as the second language to solve the problem. Educators can tackle the issue effectively if they themselves are willing to learn and remain open-minded."

Learning any language will broaden there opportunities for learning. That is what is known as a Barnum statement it applies to learning any subject.

For those of you who don't know Barnum statements are one's you can pretty well use any where. Fortune tellers use them a lot.

If you will reread this article you will notice it in no way puts forth learning English as the answer. Why do people continue to push learning English is it a case of they can speak it but don't understand it.

To be open minded here in Thailand means the Thai's will have to make allowances in there culture for failure and that is a rely big problem that must be overcome. After that there will be a definite improvement.

It is 95 degrees. You walk up and down four flights of stairs three or four times a day. It is 97 degrees. You get to the ground floor and someone has locked the teachers bathroom. You walk back upstairs to get the key. It is now 96 degrees. 23 kindergarten children decide to use you for a gymnasium. Cute. Your briefcase weighs 20 pounds because you have to print all the lessons at home and bring them to school because the school copy machine is out of order when you want to use it. 8 children have hair lice and want to wear your cap. “Write your name on the top of the page.” What do you mean, “no?” Nickname! First name or last name? I don't care, ANY NAME! OK, write K-A-T-E. GHEETE is not Kate. I don't care who told you. It is now 98 degrees. “Don't run around, sit down.” Thai teacher comes in and hands you a bamboo stick wrapped in duct tape and says, “hit the children.” You ask if she has a gun. She completely misses the joke and looks horrified. It is now almost 100 degrees.

It is winter in the North of America. Snow is starting to fall. Maybe the old teachers will come for the warm weather. Old people like warm weather.

You are right, but you assume I am not a teacher, wrong! What can you ? Nothing?

Not sure what planet you're on! But learning English would be beneficial to the Thais, (or any other non English speaking country) as one poster said English even spoken in China and also in most, if not all international business meetings, travellers all over the world mostly use English as a common language between other travellers of different nationaliites, I worked around Europe, China and Thailand (and even Canada) and the common language used in these offices was English.

I agree that there's a lot to improve the schools in Thailand, I found that my kids and others were not learning to use their minds, i.e. to think for themself or to find a solution to a problem etc. This is why I made the decission (with my wife) to take our kids out of the school in Thailand and return to Australia, hopefully this will give our kids a better chance in their future, no matter where they decide to live. But in the end, it's up to each individual if they want to learn or not.

Edited by spatz

Some good points in the editorial, but they all seem to have a shadow-side. For example:

The current classroom environment fails when it comes to promoting either multidimensional learning or students' self-esteem.

Students' (and parents') self-esteem ("face") is preserved by not failing them. Anyway, self-esteem has to be tempered with realism and social responsibility.

Students are often judged simply on their ability to memorise lessons, meaning that those with other talents can feel discouraged and left out.

While there's no doubt that enquiry, analysis and critique should all be encouraged, memorization also has an important place in learning. The problem in Thailand is not so much that they memorize a lot, but that students are in fact not "judged" on whether they've learnt it. They all pass at the end of the term, and the judgement comes too late (in university admission tests).

…responsibility and citizenship are not sufficiently addressed. Instead, youngsters only hear adults asking for their rights but refusing to be accountable.

Responsibility and citizenship are addressed ad nauseam in Thai schools, but it's a different view of responsibility (more like obedience) and citizenship (more like jingoism). Unwillingness to be accountable and social acceptance of unaccountability is a major issue in Thailand - much bigger than an education issue.

Thai students need to learn more about their geography and history …

Thai students already learn about their history, but it's heavily loaded to fit the demands of nationalism. Alternative views are frowned upon and an enquiry or research-based method could lead to penalties for teachers and students. Most students don't take it seriously anyway ("I wasn't born then.").

Please,what's so bad about being 60? I've met many older people doing a great job, so what's wrong? Doesn't matter where the people come from, there are good and bad teachers in all nationalities.

The gentleman was offered to help being a native English speaker, and as a matter of fact, lots of Thai English teachers can't even say one sentence in English as it should be. Thais and foreigners should be one team, without the " losing face" problem....

A student two years ago in Matthajom two said the right thing about the old methods of teaching English: "Students in Thailand have to learn a lot of Grammar, but they don't have the needed vocabulary to be able to use it."

As a result, many students are only copying stuff from the board into their books. Speaking and understanding are two very important skills to learn a language. :jap:

As a Thai education quality school inspector told me.

Thai English language teacher’s ±90% of them is not fully conversant in the language they are employed for, to teach.

The easiest way out for them is to have the students learn to read and write individual words and learn Verbs, Adjectives, Plurals, Nouns, Consonants etc. After wasting their valuable little time available there is no time for sentence construction and pronunciation (speaking).

But Thailand is not the Lone Ranger in this, the problem based on my experience instructing Maintenance Engineering and commercial pilot worldwide.

Secondary language learning has been set on its head by bothering the leaner with items of the language they do not need to become able to read and speak the language. Learning to read and speak is the first step. When students become proficient in reading and speaking the biggest percentage will pushed by their own interest proceed to learn the finer points of the language.

This is based on my years of arguing the point when going to school in Holland were in my time, I don’t know what it is now, besides the mother tongue Dutch, French, English and German was instructed and I was not interested in all the bullshit the teachers were trying to cram into my head, I wanted to learn to read and speak. An infant is the best example, it learns by repeating what s/he hears the mother say (Mother Tongue). From my own experience of decades ago I feel sorry for the Thai students being pushed to learn in a useless way, English.

Why learn English? English is not the language of the area, Chinese is and Thai schools should make it the Second language, not English. In addition with Chinese it should eliminate the problem of hiring Chinese native speakers. Even in the Western World were English is the language of the area learning English as a second language is on the decrease while Chine is on the increase.

Learning English is important. But I think that the ministry of education is putting the cart before the horse a little bit by focusing on it. Besides the fact that Thailand has lower rates of comprehension among college graduates than even Cambodia and Laos, the real problem has more to do with low wages, poor training, overcrowded classrooms and corruption. ALL subjects suffer because of these things. Under the current system only intrinsically intelligent and motivated students get any real benefit.

Another serious issue is that according to ONET statistics(a standardized test for students) the lowest average scores out of any subject are Thai Language and Social Studies.

!!!!!!!

The lowest scores are in their own language and history!!!! IF they can't teach their own culture and language to a reasonable degree, how can they possibly teach a second language let alone other history and geography of the outside world? The sitatution is worse than the ministry would like to admit I think.

It is 95 degrees. You walk up and down four flights of stairs three or four times a day. It is 97 degrees. You get to the ground floor and someone has locked the teachers bathroom. You walk back upstairs to get the key. It is now 96 degrees. 23 kindergarten children decide to use you for a gymnasium. Cute. Your briefcase weighs 20 pounds because you have to print all the lessons at home and bring them to school because the school copy machine is out of order when you want to use it. 8 children have hair lice and want to wear your cap. "Write your name on the top of the page." What do you mean, "no?" Nickname! First name or last name? I don't care, ANY NAME! OK, write K-A-T-E. GHEETE is not Kate. I don't care who told you. It is now 98 degrees. "Don't run around, sit down." Thai teacher comes in and hands you a bamboo stick wrapped in duct tape and says, "hit the children." You ask if she has a gun. She completely misses the joke and looks horrified. It is now almost 100 degrees.

It is winter in the North of America. Snow is starting to fall. Maybe the old teachers will come for the warm weather. Old people like warm weather.

What a vivid snapshot... Brilliant!

It is 95 degrees. You walk up and down four flights of stairs three or four times a day. It is 97 degrees. You get to the ground floor and someone has locked the teachers bathroom. You walk back upstairs to get the key. It is now 96 degrees. 23 kindergarten children decide to use you for a gymnasium. Cute. Your briefcase weighs 20 pounds because you have to print all the lessons at home and bring them to school because the school copy machine is out of order when you want to use it. 8 children have hair lice and want to wear your cap. "Write your name on the top of the page." What do you mean, "no?" Nickname! First name or last name? I don't care, ANY NAME! OK, write K-A-T-E. GHEETE is not Kate. I don't care who told you. It is now 98 degrees. "Don't run around, sit down." Thai teacher comes in and hands you a bamboo stick wrapped in duct tape and says, "hit the children." You ask if she has a gun. She completely misses the joke and looks horrified. It is now almost 100 degrees.

A very good story, indeed. The weird thing is that people even get used to such environmental circumstances you'd mentioned.

Their gun is the bamboo stick and when you break them, kids are starring at you like the Thai teachers will hit you as well.

You forgot the Kuang Coms. Almost all computers are infected with Trojan horses, worms and other unwelcome viruses messing up your own Computer after using your memory stick to print something.

(Only if there's color inside the printer, of course).

Then you're trying to find the right answer for a Thai English test. But there's not always the right answer. Temperature's already on 105 degrees.

Suddenly a Thai/English teacher with her work for her Master degree turns up. "You help?" 300 pages full of not understandable English letters are watching you sweating like hel_l.

Of course, you can't say no, and you'll understand pretty soon that it will take at last one week to get this done, but she needs it tomorrow……

So you're sitting there almost all night long to change it into something that makes a sense. After giving it back to her she smiles and says: "Khun Gaeng Chai maak"...And suddenly you're holding a carton of Donuts in your hands.

No matter if you like them or not, you're leaving and after she confirmed that she's got her Masters a few weeks later, after asking her several times , you won't see her again.

Oh no, now you forgot to make your lesson planning, people think you're an alcoholic being tired and stressed, because you'd helped a Thai colleague, you get kicked out.

After figuring out that they don't give you your salary, you're leaving school. But they give you only one day time to renew your visa.

Guess it's true that we're learning lifelong……….:jap:

Edited by sirchai