Thaksin Tries To Upstage PM Abhisit On Flood Relief

webfact

FLOODS

Thaksin tries to upstage PM on flood relief

As Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Thursday's morning travelled to Lop Buri to supervise relief operations for flood victims following a visit to Nakhon Rachasima, fugitive opponent Thaksin Shinawatra posted pre-dawn Twitter message boasting about his relief supplies.

Abhist has been scheduled to visit Ban Mee and Muang districts in the central province, where heavy rains and overflowing reservoir triggered a worst inundation in recent memory.

Just hours before Abhisit's trip, Thaksin tweeted voicing concern about flash floods in 17 provinces, including wort-hit areas such as Nakhon Ratchasima, Lop Buri, Buri Ram, Tak and Surin.

He called on all sides to stop politicking in order to devote attention to assit flood victims.

He said he instructed Thaicom foundation, founded by him, to donate Bt5 million via the Thai Red Cross. He added that he and his family members provided additional funds to buy essential supplies for distribution to the victims.

Former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, his brother-in-law, will head the team of Pheu Thai MPs to distribute relief supplies, he said.

He called on local governments to pay undivided attention to provide relief in flooded areas.

He also wished a safe trip for his daughter Paethongtarn Shinawatra who is scheduled to visit the victims in the Northeast.

Thaksin's Twitter message was sent in the wake of Wednesday's night phone-in at a dinner party held by Pheu Thai MP Chalerm Yoobamrung. Some 60 opposition lawmakers were present, including Somchai and his wife Yaowapha.

Chalerm billed his party as the inauguration of the Thaksin clique within the main opposition party.

By forming the clique, Chalerm vowed to bring about Thaksin's return to Thailand if Pheu Thai leads the next coalition.

"I am now setting up Thaksin clique for you because I am your man and at the upcoming general election you have to step out to openly help campaigning hard for victory," he said to Thaksin during the phone-in.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-21

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only surprised k. Thaksin didn't boost of less flooding in his time. the rest is the usual biilsh1t.

PTP as incarnation of PPP as incarnation of TRT hasn't changed much. It's not about the people, it's about Thaksin. PPP in two governments only had as agenda point 'bring back Thaksin', PTP has improved, two agenda points: 'blame the government' and 'get back Thaksin'.

Luckily we have a government which does things, even if corruption and self-interest is still not of the past.

Edited by rubl

Slightly off subject I could not avoid snorting with scorn when reading in the press earlier in the week that Thaksins brats had donated 100 books to a childrens library....I wonder what they would give if they had access to the Reserve Bank

You shouldn't scorn them. Most likely papa Thaksin cut their allowances. Remember, k. Thaksin has gone on record with 'I have to work to feed my kids' ;)

Edited by rubl

I truly believe that Thaksin looks upon Kim Jong-il with envy and jealousy of the first degree. I am sure wherever he was watching the recent military parades in North Korea, he was sat dreaming of himself in the same situation passing on some form of dynastic power to his offspring.

This man will bring great great trouble to Thailand before he is done, and will make his move when a certain event occurs that sadly cannot be to much further in the future.

I truly believe that Thaksin looks upon Kim Jong-il with envy and jealousy of the first degree. I am sure wherever he was watching the recent military parades in North Korea, he was sat dreaming of himself in the same situation passing on some form of dynastic power to his offspring.

This man will bring great great trouble to Thailand before he is done, and will make his move when a certain event occurs that sadly cannot be to much further in the future.

I think yo got it very right.

I think yo got it very right.

Many should realize that AFTER Thaksin got ousted...due to the rich clique of Bang cockians...that Thailand plummeted to medi- evil levels of awareness and that the shit then hits the fan.....and that inspite of shady accusations and unproven evilness of Thaksin ...(as this is very normal tactics in politics to shift powers ) there is a reason that 60% of the people are still siding up with him ...expressing it via the red shirts movement......

Thailand has changed and will continue to change...they can never undo it...it will get worse first before it can become better...eventually it will be better..and trying to put the masses in the pockets of the elite...won't work anymore...not in this era of Information Technology...

Many should realize that AFTER Thaksin got ousted...due to the rich clique of Bang cockians...that Thailand plummeted to medi- evil levels of awareness and that the shit then hits the fan.....and that inspite of shady accusations and unproven evilness of Thaksin ...(as this is very normal tactics in politics to shift powers ) there is a reason that 60% of the people are still siding up with him ...expressing it via the red shirts movement......

Thailand has changed and will continue to change...they can never undo it...it will get worse first before it can become better...eventually it will be better..and trying to put the masses in the pockets of the elite...won't work anymore...not in this era of Information Technology...

60% ?? A bit high I think. Probably half that.

Good that Thaksin is giving something although probably for the wrong reasons.

Thaksin's Twitter message was sent in the wake of Wednesday's night phone-in at a dinner party held by Pheu Thai MP Chalerm Yoobamrung. Some 60 opposition lawmakers were present, including Somchai and his wife Yaowapha.

Chalerm billed his party as the inauguration of the Thaksin clique within the main opposition party.

By forming the clique, Chalerm vowed to bring about Thaksin's return to Thailand if Pheu Thai leads the next coalition.

"I am now setting up Thaksin clique for you because I am your man and at the upcoming general election you have to step out to openly help campaigning hard for victory," he said to Thaksin during the phone-in.

Does that mean that the rest of the PTP MP,s no longer support Khun T?

maybe they could use some of that money that was seized off taksin to help efforts. If taksin gets back into thailand by throwing money of his own into the thai economy then Thailand really is for sale and it might come down to who has more cash.

If Taksin can finance a war then i guess he will can finance a aid releif.

doesn't that capture it! took the words outta my mouth regarding thaksin. precisely what he wants. he is a bad omen

[/quote

no 60%! come on. maybe 6%.

after the bang bua thong incident too? :annoyed: lot more going on than just rich vs. poor.

I'll believe he did it when the Red Cross publicly says it GOT the money IN THE BANK

and is sctually using it. Where and when and who wrote the check, or signed the

inter-bank transfer. Untill then, it's political smoke and mirrors.

Ooh ooh

billionaire's kids donate 100 books to the library... Break the bank!

let's hope it's not presently underwater.

maybe they could use some of that money that was seized off taksin to help efforts. If taksin gets back into thailand by throwing money of his own into the thai economy then Thailand really is for sale and it might come down to who has more cash.

YEAH where is all that MONEY they confiscated from Thaksin ????????????????

Just another reason why the Thaksin supporters hate the BKK elite they robbed thaksin and are now enjoying his money instead of putting it to good use which might breed some good will with the reds but no better to buy a new Mercedes or 2

At least Mr Thaksin has donated and its showing concern and had put his money where his mouth is and for those that scoff a the amount when you put 5 mil up then you can comment.

DK

Many should realize that AFTER Thaksin got ousted...due to the rich clique of Bang cockians...that Thailand plummeted to medi- evil levels of awareness and that the shit then hits the fan.....and that inspite of shady accusations and unproven evilness of Thaksin

Proven already in 1 case and only unproven in about a dozen other cases because of his fugitive status which halted his ongoing court cases that will be resumed when he return.

there is a reason that 60% of the people are still siding up with him ...expressing it via the red shirts movement......

Try again. It's actually only a little more than half that:

50.7% said they had decided to support the Democrats, 33 per cent said they would opt for Pheu Thai and 16 per cent preferred other parties.

Thai Democrats Could Win General Elections If Poll Held Now

Edited by Buchholz

Just another reason why the Thaksin supporters hate the BKK elite they robbed thaksin and are now enjoying his money instead of putting it to good use which might breed some good will with the reds but no better to buy a new Mercedes or 2

At least Mr Thaksin has donated and its showing concern and had put his money where his mouth is and for those that scoff a the amount when you put 5 mil up then you can comment.

DK

are you JOKING???????

He put up less then 0.05 % of what he is worth to put it in simple terms, if in your bank you have 100 000 baht, its like donating less then 100 baht.

If those people can count, its rather a slap in the face then actual donation

DK

absolutely not generous, insulting a man that crooked and rich through cheating the uneducated and desperate would give such a low amount of money. costs of damage already exceed one billion. this is nothing for him. only publicity. he only cares 1% because the supporters are from those very areas where there is flooding. he's trying to hypnotize them into convincing them he is a good and changed man. trying to take back the face he lost.

and all he can part with is 5 million? and his little sly fox dynasty can only donate 100 books? Insulting to Thailand.

Edited by gemini81

If Thaksin can finance a war then i guess he will can finance a aid releif.

I guess you weren't here in May, huh?

The money was put to excellent use.

Sorry to interrupt a good rant with reality, but...

Thaksin’s confiscated cash goes to Thai national debt repayments

The Thai government has decided to use 42 billion baht (1.3 billion dollars) confiscated from fugitive politician Thaksin Shinawatra and his family to help repay the country’s public debt, media reports said on Tuesday.

The Comptroller Department decided to use Thaksin’s money for national debt repayments after 46 billion baht were transferred to state coffers from 32 bank accounts in six commercial banks previously holding the frozen cash, the Bangkok Post reported.

DPA - May 4, 2010

DK

I payed today 500 Baht for the reparation of a motocycle which couldn`t swim in the flood to a poor neighbour, he came back in the evening with mushrooms. This is honest style of old Thai Culture. Mr. T. culture is a non-culture, because his mind is blocked by the ... shit of the devil... money.

DK

I payed today 500 Baht for the reparation of a motocycle which couldn`t swim in the flood to a poor neighbour, he came back in the evening with mushrooms. This is honest style of old Thai Culture. Mr. T. culture is a non-culture, because his mind is blocked by the ... shit of the devil... money.

I'm only surprised k. Thaksin didn't boost of less flooding in his time. the rest is the usual biilsh1t.

PTP as incarnation of PPP as incarnation of TRT hasn't changed much. It's not about the people, it's about Thaksin. PPP in two governments only had as agenda point 'bring back Thaksin', PTP has improved, two agenda points: 'blame the government' and 'get back Thaksin'.

Luckily we have a government which does things, even if corruption and self-interest is still not of the past.

"He called on all sides to stop politicking in order to devote attention to assit flood victims."

"He called on all sides to stop politicking in order to devote attention to assit flood victims."

In comparison to the Nations snide take on the subject, todays BP Editorial says much the same thing;

"Politicians, in particular, should temporarily set aside their rivalry and political agendas and join in the

flood relief efforts as well as the post-flood rehabilitation programme"

Of course his saying that is totally political in nature.

Trying to make it look like only HE is not being political,

IS political in it's very essence. More myth building for

profit in the future.

I was in severe floods in Surat Thani 5 years ago

and Thaksin refused to help, until a ministry on it's own,

declared it an 'official state emergency' and then sent money.

His only reasons for not helping when originally asked is:

They didn't vote for TRT, so tough luck.

Edited by animatic

profit in the future.

An easy target - Read the BP Editorial, no mention of the Thaksin donation but a certain person has donated twice as much. No accusations in the Nation of that person trying to upstage the PM.

profit in the future.

yawn.