Ubuntu => It Meeting

Cloggie

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey all - turns out i don't have an hdmi cable after all, i have s-video and a rather long svga. @ urandom - since you are doing the presentation tonight, you have vga output? i'm betting on that over s-vid, but i'll bring both just in case.

k

in fact, that's the only video output I have, VGA...

also, as some of you know, I'm in a huge sh1tstorm at work since a few months/weeks and couldn't prepare anything (slides, docs, etc...) for tonight... but I can still do the presentation - in a freestyle fashion - and post the references on the forum after... sorry about that guys, I can do it, no problem, but I wish I could make it more seriously.

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thank you to Urandom for his demonstration of compiling a Linux kernel on Wednesday. I think I even understood most of it. Not sure what the other patrons must have thought about the TV showing what looked like excerpts from "The Matrix" instead of football!

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thank you to Urandom for his demonstration of compiling a Linux kernel on Wednesday. I think I even understood most of it. Not sure what the other patrons must have thought about the TV showing what looked like excerpts from "The Matrix" instead of football!

Urandon,

Thank you very much for the demonstration as well. I am yet not at that level - compiling linux kernels - but who know if I study it long enough, I will do it just as easy as you did it during the demo.

Thanks again,

Cloggie

Hello everybody,

Next month June 8th or 9th there will be a new IT meeting in Soi 8 Bar, Sukhumvit Soi 8, Bangkok.

If people are interested I will give a demo of Kismet, wardriving in Chonburi.

Hope to see all 'old' members again and hopefully some people who are interested as well like WilliamSandin, Richard-BKK and Bangkokburning.

See hopefully everybody again so we can claim our second table in the bar... biggrin.gif

Cloggie

Downloaded and installed in VirtualBox BlackBuntu - http://www.blackbuntu.com/ - Ubuntu with all the it-tools'.....

Blackbuntu Team:

We are small team from Thailand, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Brazil. We are not Hackers, but we are computer security lovers.

Time for testing the tools biggrin.gif

Edited by Cloggie

Hello everybody,

Next month June 8th or 9th there will be a new IT meeting in Soi 8 Bar, Sukhumvit Soi 8, Bangkok.

Hope to see all 'old' members again and hopefully some people who are interested as well like WilliamSandin, Richard-BKK and Bangkokburning.

See hopefully everybody again so we can claim our second table in the bar... biggrin.gif

Cloggie

I think this happened after you left, but a few of us were discussing the idea of moving around to different locations each month. maybe too late at this point for the next meeting, but it would be nice to get around to different pubs on occasion, especially for those of us who don't get out much. ;>} At least let's start the discussion.

k

Hello everybody,

Cloggie

I think this happened after you left, but a few of us were discussing the idea of moving around to different locations each month. maybe too late at this point for the next meeting, but it would be nice to get around to different pubs on occasion, especially for those of us who don't get out much. ;>} At least let's start the discussion.

k

No problem to move around different bars in Bangkok.

Just make sure the location is close to the skytrain as I park my car at On Nut / take the bus to Ekkemai if I come from Pattaya

Let see what other people think about it.

Cloggie

Hello everybody,

Cloggie

Can we make it Wednesday 8th June so it doesn't clash with Beercamp? I'm not sure if there will actually be a Beercamp, but if they happen, they are always on Thursdays, so Wednesday would be safe.

Gentlemen,

Let's make it then June 8th, Soi 8 Bar, Sukhumvit Soi 8 - for all newcomers start is around 07:00pm

Hope to see you all again and hopefully some new members as well....

Cheers,

Cloggie

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunately i don't think i can make it, wifey's been out of town for a week and getting home late tomorrow night. still trying to get as much 'man time' as i can with the boy. have fun with pineapples though!

Put sslstrip and etherpuppet on it to make it a really fun toy ;) Also as it will be my first meeting, I been to the bar before but where does everyone congregate?

I bought the "Jasager" from HAK5 so lets see who wants to connect to it....:ph34r:

See you all tomorrow!

Cheers,

Cloggie

Also as it will be my first meeting, I been to the bar before but where does everyone congregate?

I do remember someone failed to find us once, so just for clarity: we sit in the restaurant area at the back of the bar, straight in line with the door. (You can't walk in a straight line, you have to go right and left round the end of the bar that divides the main bar area from the restaurant area.)

Dear all,

Last night we had a new IT meeting in Soi 8 Bar, Sukhumvit Soi 8 in Bangkok.

Several new people showed up, Rijkes, William Sandin, Kenny, Justsomehelp, KMBKK (guy with the NEC notebook) - did I miss anybody?

Almost forgot, we even have a female member.....

This time we needed even several tables as the usual table was to small!

As proposed by William / Kenny idea is to move this IT-meeting group to be a chapter of www.2600.com - no Thai 'chapter' yet

Kenny offered us to register the domain name + hosting the site

If we agree I will contact 2600.com and see if we can move to something like www.BKK2600.org ( other suggestions???) and have our own website listed at http://www.2600.com/...ings/pages.html

Next month Thursday July 7th new IT meeting in Soi 8 bar with a demo of William, very interesting subject (maybe we should ask Sony to attend the meeting...) details will follow later

Please your comments.

Cheers,

Cloggie

Edited by Cloggie

http://www.bkk2600.co.th/ may be suitable

Dear all,

Last night we had a new IT meeting in Soi 8 Bar, Sukhumvit Soi 8 in Bangkok.

Several new people showed up, Rijkes, William Sandin, Kenny, Justsomehelp, KMBKK (guy with the NEC notebook) - did I miss anybody?

Almost forgot, we even have a female member.....

This time we needed even several tables as the usual table was to small!

As proposed by William / Kenny idea is to move this IT-meeting group to be a chapter of www.2600.com - no Thai 'chapter' yet

Kenny offered us to register the domain name + hosting the site

If we agree I will contact 2600.com and see if we can move to something like www.BKK2600.org ( other suggestions???) and have our own website listed at http://www.2600.com/...ings/pages.html

Next month Thursday July 7th new IT meeting in Soi 8 bar with a demo of William, very interesting subject (maybe we should ask Sony to attend the meeting...) details will follow later

Please your comments.

Cheers,

Cloggie

It depends what you equate worth to, if you get these to advance in a job career or get a job I doubt they are highly valued, I know U.S. high-school offer alot of these certificates for free to students. If you are getting them to learn just for the benefit of knowledge then sure why not learn it wont hurt. But a much cheaper and better in my own opinion is just go to a local college and look at what computer courses they offer, then just ask the professor if you could sit in on a few classes because you have a computer hobby and are interested in learning .

Dear

Do you agree with the postings below, is / are certifications useless?????

http://www.thaivisa....accreditations/

Please your comments.

Cloggie

I think it depends what part of the IT industry you are into.

For networking I know the higher level certifications ie. CCIE makes a very, very big difference.

For Linux you got the RHCE, RHCA

Security there is the Offensive Security certifications, CISSP, CCSP etc

Problem is that there is only the few certifications (CCIE, RHC*, Offensive Security) were they have practical lab examinations, rather than choosing the right answer from: 1 / X / 2. These should be very valuable knowledge for any IT engineer - while the others seem to be more suitable for people that don't work with that particular technology, but need an understanding for it. I don't know about the training courses for these though, they might be very good. It seems like a fair few of them are more oriented around passing the exam than the technical area itself.

Look forward to the next meeting, it was good fun!

• 2 weeks later...