Ubuntu => It Meeting

Cloggie

Dear all,

Went to Bangkok this morning to find out that my parking area has been converted into a construction site (On Nut - Asia Parking opposite Tesco Lotus, whole day TB 65).

First had a meeting in Emporium and after that (1:45pm) I tried to find a secure parking place for my car.

Went first to BITEC, back to Sukhumvit, Soi in, Soi out, Soi in, Soi out, can't find a decent place to park my car so it is still there when I want to go home in the evening.

At 04:00pm still nothing and I no idea where I was - I was lost and I do not have a GPS so I just followed the flow...

Sorry guys, next time I will take the bus again unless somebody can tell me where I can park my car for about 6 hours.

Emporium wanted 100 TB per hour, that is a bit too much for me.

Can somebody post the minutes of this evening?

Have a good time.

Cheers,

Cloggie

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Nice to see (almost) everyone last night after my absence.

A combination of beer and senility caused me to mention a couple of mythical links! Here are the real ones. The air swimming, silver reflective penguin is here. The company is called "Festo", not "Fausto" as I said last night. The Apple exoskeleton was not a YouTube video, but actually a Not the Nation story (easily confused, I'm sure you'll agree).

I promise not to come out again withour my carer.

Thanks for the links, and remember droidsheep is watching you ;)

Hi,

Nice to see (almost) everyone last night after my absence.

A combination of beer and senility caused me to mention a couple of mythical links! Here are the real ones. The air swimming, silver reflective penguin is here. The company is called "Festo", not "Fausto" as I said last night. The Apple exoskeleton was not a YouTube video, but actually a Not the Nation story (easily confused, I'm sure you'll agree).

I promise not to come out again withour my carer.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

Because of the flooding in Bangkok I have decided to cancel all future IT meetings till life is normal again in Bangkok.

Will post later when we will have the next IT meeting.

Cheers,

Cloggie

Edited by Cloggie

I live in Nongchok. I am an oldtime UNIX guy. The positive part is my experience, the negative part is my old brain. That means I need help but have some some skills that are hardwired.

These are the kind of issues I deal with.

I run a dual boot (vintage) laptop, XP and Ububtu Narwhale. I am trying to learn Thai and am currently loading an ANKI based program. It is a bit tricky and requires the use of a downloader that can restart and "bit torrent" the big files. I found a Chinese app (Mget) that seems to be working well. Python dev libraries must be loaded. Most of the files are rar extension so I needed to get the Ubuntu /Debian version of Unrar.

I have started building a platform on my Linux side to create Android apps but so far have done nothing with it. I am pretty good with a few thin client products. Apparently Android used a lot of code from NX-Nomachine's non-proprietary software. The proprietary stuff is mostly for localizing XWindows chatter and replacing it with a faster method for remote access. I don't know what Android does to accomplish this nor do I know how they overcome latency issues with high res applications and I would like to find out. I am also looking for help as I am having trouble getting SIP to work calling actual telephones. Computer to computer works OK. This is an apparently simple problem (aren't they all?) that involves prepending header information to the telephone number that is actually meant for computer to computer connections.

I also have a good mechanical engineering CAD program (Varicad) running on XP but would like it on Linux. The upgrade to the Linux version is about 10,000 baht so I tried Wine. I get the 2D working OK but the 3D fails. I notice other users have the same issue. I would definitely like to peer deeper into this problem because this and a SIP program (Adphone) are my only remaining XP apps that I need to get rid of. Skype has connect charges for calling regular telephones, Adphone does not. This makes a big difference in the cost of calling regular phones so I want to stick with Sip and the Adphone proxy

If these types of issues (not specifically these issues) are what you guys like to discuss then I would like to join your group and find out when and where you will meet next.

Thanks

Ferengi Rule of Acqusition number 3: Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to

• 2 weeks later...

If we can meet I will demonstrate hot to make a samsung jig ( got the resistors just bring the micro usb plugs, preferably stripped so we dont look crazy at the table cutting shit) and if time permits a typical way a criminal would compromise a victim using a public/private wifi. Only with the owners consent, Cloggie up to you to ask

I thereby declare a meeting will be held on the 8th of December of the year of the me 2011 @ 7p.m. 19:00

I will bring resistors for any one wanting to make a jig (bring your own cable)

I will make an example of using wifi (owner permitted)

urandom will show us how to to make all things better

We laugh and drink beer.

Then get scared about who has the source code for the BEAST exploit.

Dear all,

As my parents are on holiday in Thailand at the moment, I completely forget my IT meeting this month in Bangkok - bad, bad, bad boy…

Another issue is that the "Watch topic" stopsworking at this forum so after a while I don't see any new post anymore regarding my topic "Ubuntu=> IT meeting" . Normally they remind me that the new meeting is coming!

Flooding, parking problems and now memory problems, looks like we need to re-start the group again.

Details new IT meeting:

Date: January 5th 2012

Time: 07:00pm / 19:00h

Location: Sukhumvit, Soi 8, Soi 8 Bar, Bangkok - have a lookat http://www.soi8.net/

Hope to see you all again, Colin Chapman, Dharmabam, Crushdepth,DevDrinker, BugJackBaron, Flash7, Pacopeco, William Sandin, Kenny, Pinair, Justsomehelp and Kmdkk

Regarding all other members I forget to mention, sorry if your name is not here.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2012!!!!

Cheers,

Cloggie

Edited by Cloggie

Welcome back, the pressure was getting to me

Dear all,

As my parents are on holiday in Thailand at the moment, I completely forget my IT meeting this month in Bangkok - bad, bad, bad boy…

Another issue is that the "Watch topic" stopsworking at this forum so after a while I don't see any new post anymore regarding my topic "Ubuntu=> IT meeting" . Normally they remind me that the new meeting is coming!

Flooding, parking problems and now memory problems, looks like we need to re-start the group again.

Details new IT meeting:

Date: January 5th 2012

Time: 07:00pm / 19:00h

Location: Sukhumvit, Soi 8, Soi 8 Bar, Bangkok - have a lookat http://www.soi8.net/

Hope to see you all again, Colin Chapman, Dharmabam, Crushdepth,DevDrinker, BugJackBaron, Flash7, Pacopeco, William Sandin, Kenny, Pinair, Justsomehelp and Kmdkk

Regarding all other members I forget to mention, sorry if your name is not here.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2012!!!!

Cheers,

Cloggie

• 2 weeks later...

? from a taxi just say soi 8, BTS exit the side with traffic going away from asoke, walk back towards asoke and soi 8 will be on your right. Soi 8 bar is about a 30 second walk from sukumvit it will be on your left hand side

I'm not very familiar with the place, can it be easily reached from Siam for example?

Off topic continues..

Uh. My first home 'internet surf board' was VDU-52 (at least I recall it was named as that). 2400 baud modem connected to Sun or VAX was great at the time for screen displaying elm, talk, telnet/ssh, ircII (earlier just irc) and nn.

Here is an video of pretty much identical terminal VDU-202 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UAtay6SBng It had one of the best keyboards ever.

At the time it was amazing to send messages via irc from Finland to US and get an response 30 seconds later. Linux was on versions 0.9xxxxx at the time. Those were the times :)

• 2 weeks later...

so, do we have a meeting tomorrow, or not? if anyone prefers to move it to next week i'm game for that, as we seem to be on the same schedule of the bi-weekly beercamp, which i have also not been to in awhile and is also tomorrow. what's the verdict?