How To Completly Unistall Avast?

Samuian

with it: "Avast has updated you database", popping up window... and it's general intrusiveness!

It has an unistaller program, but it doesn't work - always comes some sytem error waring "this file cannot be deleted"!

And with which less intrusive but good FREE Antivirus program to replace?

Anyone?

Most odd.. I Have have been using Avast for about 3 years and find it very good..

Just a thought if you click on the orange icon on the bottom taskbar, [if you set to to place icon in taskbar tray otherwise do it from start > All Programs > Avest] Avast Main window will open, here you can turn off the 'pop-up' you can turn off the scan results [under settings]

Everything you have that pops up can be set to work in the background without notification 'pop ups' On mine there are 13 different windows you can open with settings..

Like many programs you must set it to how you want to use or to act on your PC.

EDIT: "Avast has updated you database", popping up window, On mine I have set to Auto + No notification, I can see when it updates the Orange Icon changes colour... I have no need or want a pop up stating "Avast has updated you database"

Edited by ignis

At a guess it wont un-install whilst its running, shut it down and try again.

Failling that can you run the un-installer whilst booted into safe mode ??

no ,thanks will trythat - weekend - need the machine for work, always used avg, had a new install, format c the lot and the service company did put me this creepy piece of software on... AVG used to just the same, but no pop up and fumbling around it was already the default setting!

It's like one orders a serve of fries, but they come only precooked...

Thank's for help!

Hardly intrusive letting you know that you're definitions are up to date - it's not like it notifies you with a full-screen message :blink:

You can turn the notifications off.

Th uninstaller most definitely does work however, a user trying to uninstall something whilst it is running will always fail.

Each to their own I guess.

At a guess it wont un-install whilst its running, shut it down and try again.

Failling that can you run the un-installer whilst booted into safe mode ??

no ,thanks will trythat - weekend - need the machine for work, always used avg, had a new install, format c the lot and the service company did put me this creepy piece of software on... AVG used to just the same, but no pop up and fumbling around it was already the default setting!

It's like one orders a serve of fries, but they come only precooked...

Thank's for help!

But AVG is....unreliable and becoming more bloated with each release. Now you get a free Toolbar. :ph34r::rolleyes:

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Funny, you already got the far best antivirus, do you know the importance of these updates ?

You can adjust some of the settings in the UI, but this should not be e reason to uninstall it !

Life is full annoyances, be happy your PC is well protected.

I agree that avast is the best out there. And, I really don't find it at all intrusive. I also like how easy it is to disable the program for 10 minutes when I'm copying a file that I know isn't a virus.

I'm a very satisfied Avast user (free version,) and appreciate the tip that the alert pop-ups can be disabled. Every so often they seem to occur at annoying times, so I've now got them suppressed, thanks to the above advice.