Renewing 'Retirement' Visa

gennisis

For many who might find it difficult to be at the CM Immigration early....and with the reports that quite a few applicxants have been turned away on the day they had reported,would it be possible for these "renewals' to be carried out on an appointment basis.....ie... a given day at a given time.

It would be possible even for the Immigration officers to set aside a given day each month for these appointments,preferably in the afternoon session,which would assist those who live some distance away.

I am only suggsting this for the 'retirement' renewals,although it might well suit other visa catagories.

It is of course a good idea and there are many other ways in which the visa etc process could be made more efficient and less time consuming not only for applicants but also for the immigration officers. However I doubt very much whether anyone from immigration reads this forum, so unfortunately it hardly seems worthwhile to make sensible suggestions here! If I am wrong and there is someone with authority in immigration reading this I hope they will make their presence known and solicit suggestions.

I did suggest this very matter on my renewal, last January.It was met with the customary smile and shaking of the head.I also asked when would they be housed in a bigger building, for the staffs sake and vistors. This was met with " Boss say Immigration have no money to move." Of course both matters would make it easier for all concerned but when has logic ever prevailed.

I've never understood all these threads about queues, issues that so many seem to have at immigration.

I use a GOOD lawyer, they handle everything, go once a year with their assistant. Enter by the back door at the appointed time, sign, pay and leave with new stamps in passport, 10-15 minutes maximum. I'm not on a retirement visa but same principle applies. If people think paying a few thousand baht to make this happen is not good value then you really don't deserve much sympathy when posting on here whineing about queuing at immigration.

I've never understood all these threads about queues, issues that so many seem to have at immigration.

I use a GOOD lawyer, they handle everything, go once a year with their assistant. Enter by the back door at the appointed time, sign, pay and leave with new stamps in passport, 10-15 minutes maximum. I'm not on a retirement visa but same principle applies. If people think paying a few thousand baht to make this happen is not good value then you really don't deserve much sympathy when posting on here whineing about queuing at immigration.

Well....excuse me ....,I wasnt aware that I was whineing,maybe like your avtar your rear end is YOUR prominent feature.

Extension visas are a piece of cake. Just have the correct paper work and get there early once a year. smile.gif

There's no need for lawyers, they are just bloodsuckers for those who can't do anything for themselves.

You can't get to Immigration that early because you have to have a letter from your bank stating that you have the required "reddies" in the account the day you apply.

.....or am I wrong about that :ermm:

They will accept it from the day before, as the account is frozen for 24 hours.

You can't get to Immigration that early because you have to have a letter from your bank stating that you have the required "reddies" in the account the day you apply.

I renewed on the 19th and they accepted the letter from the day before.

If people think paying a few thousand baht to make this happen is not good value then you really don't deserve much sympathy when posting on here whineing about queuing at immigration.

............"a few thousand baht" !!!!!!!!!!!! Good God. Just for fingering a bit of paper. You really must be at your wit's end looking for silly ways to divest your good self from your enormous wealth.rolleyes.gif

Last time I went, September, the bank letter was dated 2 days earlier with no problems.

As for paying lawyers to do what is such a simple task, well ------------. :whistling:

An appointment system would make a lot of sense, both for the immigration officials and us customers. Things became much less stressful in dealing with the American Consulate once they went to the on-line appointment system. No more arriving early, forming a herd across the street, then rushing across the street once the doors opened (traffic be damned) only to get a place in the line (queque or whatever it is you British call it) where you have to sit around in their waiting room for a couple of hours.

If CM Immigration used an on-line system of appointments for retirement visa extensions, they they could significantly reduce the size of their waiting area, freeing up space for more desks.

Today Hubby went out for his one-year extension and despite being the first to arrive he ended up with No. 7 because others who arrived at the door after him were more aggresive about pushing in to get a number once the door opened. He said he just couldn't muscle out the missionaries!

Today Hubby went out for his one-year extension and despite being the first to arrive he ended up with No. 7 because others who arrived at the door after him were more aggresive about pushing in to get a number once the door opened. He said he just couldn't muscle out the missionaries!

Thanks for that. Next time I go I will take along a some of my Samoan friends to neutralize the missionaries.

Renewing 'Retirement' Visa,

Retirement so we have nothing at all to do 24 hours a day.. :D

I always phoned and sent a recorded letter to the Bank asking them for the Paper + statement + asked them to sent to my home address, when I received the paper from the Bank would go the next day, or on Monday if the papers arrived on Friday or Saturday.

Some people do not like entering by the back door. THey feel it is corrupt.

Bank letters verifying deposit amounts are good for 7 days.

I've been there early in the morning at 9AM- and told to return after 1PM, as they were still working queue ticket holders from the previous day and people who were lined up outside prior to opening. Came back at 1PM....and was seen at 2:30. It was a very long day, at CM Immigration. This was 1 months ago, today.

Different times of year have different crowd counts. I renew every year mid-September (my expiry date is 26th; I usually go in 22nd and try to be there on a Wed. or Thurs.). I can categorically state that the week I have to go in is an absolute zoo. People spilled out into the parking lot, etc. Maybe those who are lucky to have a renewal date that is during a quiet period can feel smug about the early arrival thing, but unfortunately this just doesn't compute middle/late September. 5 years running- a combination of a Chinese fire drill and a cooking oil sale at Tesco at Chiang Mai Immigration.

I think the OP's suggestion is a valuable one. An online appointment booking system would be a godsend.

He said he just couldn't muscle out the missionaries!

Do unto others... :D

Shame on your husband for getting in the way of God's missionaries.:lol: I hope you are not just making that up. Because I do know there are quite a few non missionaries here who care only for themselves.

I agree.

Why are so many expats encouraging the continuation of corrupt systems in Thailand. Principles left behind in the west??

Extension visas are a piece of cake. Just have the correct paper work and get there early once a year. smile.gif

There's no need for lawyers, they are just bloodsuckers for those who can't do anything for themselves.

Indeed visa extension is a piece of cake. Absolutely no lawyer necessary. That would be a total waste of money. Without any offense to Paagai, I concur with uptheos assessment of shysters.

I do not understand why Immigration does not have more officers dealing with 1 year extentions of stay as there sometimes only 1 or 2 officers dealing with this and they have 2 dealing with 90 day reporting. An appointment system would be a sensible idea but it may take about 2 weeks to get an appointment in view of the number of applicants every day. Maybe it will happen in a couple of years once Immigration get organised

I renew every year mid-September (my expiry date is 26th; I usually go in 22nd and try to be there on a Wed. or Thurs.). I can categorically state that the week I have to go in is an absolute zoo.

My expiry is end of September as it is linked to the university fiscal year (October 1). Did the same as you, middle of week but still a mess. Since all university expats have to renew by the end of September, wonder if that has something to do with the queue?

Shame on your husband for getting in the way of God's missionaries.:lol: I hope you are not just making that up. Because I do know there are quite a few non missionaries here who care only for themselves.

Obviously something could learned from the missionaries position . :)

• 1 month later...

Just to update, I was in earlier in the week (not Monday) at Chiang Mai immigration for a non- O extension based on retirement using an income statement. I tried a different approach this year-- went by around 11am expecting and receiving a number for the afternoon. Had lunch and returned at 1:00p, with the sign showing my number fifth in the queue. There must have been no- shows, because 20 minutes later I was at the first desk. The friendly fellow (same one as last year) found a page I'd neglected to copy so off I went to the back while he waited. The entire process took an hour. I opted to renew my re-entry permit, which took another hour and a second visit to the copy machine. I did notice that by 2pm they were no longer giving out numbers for extensions.

Along with Nancy, I do think the appointment system at the US Consulate has greatly eased that part of the process, but it's a much much less interesting place to hang around and I doubt it would speed anything much. I've had only good experiences at CM Immigration to date. I just take reading material and enjoy the cabaret and occasional drama. There seem always to be at least one or two stock characters trying fruitlessly to talk their way through a situation the agent has heard a thousand times before, along with customary mumbles from people expecting express service. The re-entry permit took a bit longer than last year, as there seemed to be more people than usual paying overstay fines, which slowed action at the passport pick-up desk. The air conditioning helped. I was out by 3pm.

--

I agree.

Why are so many expats encouraging the continuation of corrupt systems in Thailand. Principles left behind in the west??

Principles, in the British view, are of paramount concern when it comes to queues!

Edited by Mapguy

I NEVER go to Immigration. I simply send my housekeeper. Too much of a zoo there for my tastes :)