Pattaya`s Best Restaurant

Thunderbird4ever

This is my fifth year of living close to Pattaya. And I've done quite a few of the restaurants, expensive and not, in and around the Pattaya area. IMO, the general level of food served here is not good. It's either ok, but way over-priced for the general cost of living in Thailand, accepting that Pattaya is a tourist destination and therefore, in season, there is bound to be some severe ripping off. Or it's ok priced, but badly cooked, served, and the hygiene is often more than questionable.

Best restaurant in Pattaya? My kitchen! The food is well cooked, hygienically prepared, nicely presented, tasty ... and cheap! I can't wait to get back there after most nights eating out.

(Thinks) ... Maybe I should open a restaurant? Nar!! Wouldn't like the hours.

DIG

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<br />My fave is the Seafood restaurant in the Fisherman's village in Na Chom Tien.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Is that Lung Sawai 2 you're referring to? Probably my favourite Thai restaurant in Pattaya too. Went there last Sunday with friends, and it's still good. Specifically a seafood restaurant, though.

<br />My fave is the Seafood restaurant in the Fisherman's village in Na Chom Tien.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Is that Lung Sawai 2 you're referring to? Probably my favourite Thai restaurant in Pattaya too. Went there last Sunday with friends, and it's still good. Specifically a seafood restaurant, though.

I couldn't remember the name, but the details are to be found here

Hope the link is ok, but it makes it a lot easier for it to be located.

Actually I can see that links to that forum are automatically deleted, so I'll just borrow some of the pics and give credit to TD.

S6300540.jpg

S6300550.jpg

S6300541.jpg

S6300542.jpg

S6300544.jpg

S6300549.jpg

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

if I am 0 for 1000, then you may be in the negative range

nowhere in my post does it say "foreign tourists"...are you implying that locals can't be tourists????

have a look at the tour buses that pull into Preecha sometime.........

Anywhere that caters to tourists charges a premium. Places that offer a view charge a preimum.....put that together and you get an overpriced place....

You claim to not even know of the restos I mentioned, therefore you are unable to legitimately compare them I believe. Suggest you pay a visit. Taste and quality are the same if not better, price is better, and service is much more personal. Good luck.

The 2 places you mention are lousy value for what is served, and Preecha in particular is an overpriced tourist trap and is nowhere near the best seafood in Thailand..you can get many of the dishes they serve at the seafood restos on south pattaya road for a fraction of the price. I believe its exact location should be described as Ban Amphur.

I am glad to see others agree with me….

I think you are batting "0" for 1000 thus far. If by "tourist trap", you mean places that cater to and attract farang tourists and have unreasonably high prices, you need to check both restaurants (and their parking lots) again. The customers at Mum Aroi are more than 85% Thai and at Preecha more than 95% Thai, hardly what would be characterized as "tourist traps". Neither restaurant is cheap, but the prices are not significantly more than other good Thai seafood restaurants in the greater Pattaya area (actually, I think they are a bit less), and unlike Pattaya Tai they are both on the water with great views (I have never even seen a seafood restaurant on Pattaya Tai, but one or 2 non-descript ones probably do exist, but I doubt that they are any cheaper than Preecha). Their parking lots are completely full on the weekend evenings, and I have bever seen a post that did not give Preecha's food high marks. Serving the same dishes and serving the same quality are two very different things, but perhaps you didn't notice. The only negative I have ever seen concerning Mum Aroi is its service, which I agree can be awful at times. Thanks for the clarification on location, very useful.

I've recommended these seafood restaurants opposite Tukcom in the past. They are non-descript in appearance, like many genuinely Thai restaurants. The service, as mentioned, is the understated, friendly type that accompanies such restaurants, and the food is superb. I would say that these restaurants fit the requirements of the OP.

if I am 0 for 1000, then you may be in the negative range

nowhere in my post does it say "foreign tourists"...are you implying that locals can't be tourists????

have a look at the tour buses that pull into Preecha sometime.........

Anywhere that caters to tourists charges a premium. Places that offer a view charge a preimum.....put that together and you get an overpriced place....

You claim to not even know of the restos I mentioned, therefore you are unable to legitimately compare them I believe. Suggest you pay a visit. Taste and quality are the same if not better, price is better, and service is much more personal. Good luck.

The 2 places you mention are lousy value for what is served, and Preecha in particular is an overpriced tourist trap and is nowhere near the best seafood in Thailand..you can get many of the dishes they serve at the seafood restos on south pattaya road for a fraction of the price. I believe its exact location should be described as Ban Amphur.

I am glad to see others agree with me….

I think you are batting "0" for 1000 thus far. If by "tourist trap", you mean places that cater to and attract farang tourists and have unreasonably high prices, you need to check both restaurants (and their parking lots) again. The customers at Mum Aroi are more than 85% Thai and at Preecha more than 95% Thai, hardly what would be characterized as "tourist traps". Neither restaurant is cheap, but the prices are not significantly more than other good Thai seafood restaurants in the greater Pattaya area (actually, I think they are a bit less), and unlike Pattaya Tai they are both on the water with great views (I have never even seen a seafood restaurant on Pattaya Tai, but one or 2 non-descript ones probably do exist, but I doubt that they are any cheaper than Preecha). Their parking lots are completely full on the weekend evenings, and I have bever seen a post that did not give Preecha's food high marks. Serving the same dishes and serving the same quality are two very different things, but perhaps you didn't notice. The only negative I have ever seen concerning Mum Aroi is its service, which I agree can be awful at times. Thanks for the clarification on location, very useful.

I've recommended these seafood restaurants opposite Tukcom in the past. They are non-descript in appearance, like many genuinely Thai restaurants. The service, as mentioned, is the understated, friendly type that accompanies such restaurants, and the food is superb. I would say that these restaurants fit the requirements of the OP.

Looking at some of the displays, though the food may taste good, some of the raw materials look slightly off.

Not all of them, though if you take a closer look you'll see what I mean. Looks as if they been there for more than a day.

Looking at some of the displays, though the food may taste good, some of the raw materials look slightly off.

Not all of them, though if you take a closer look you'll see what I mean. Looks as if they been there for more than a day.

Don't dispute this. It's a common problem with seafood restaurants that sell the food already dead. I like the ones that allow you to choose what will end up on your fork and spoon.

Despite what a lot of posters here have stated if you want to eat in Pattaya itself Sea Zone on Walking St is good and reasonably priced as well.

There are other smaller places around Pattya which are quite good as well.

Have eaten at Mum Aroy in Naklua and it is okay but nothing outstanding and have also tried the one in Bang Saray on the water which is nice along with many others in Thailand.

Frankly I have not noticed a huge difference in the price and to me the quality in Sea Zone in Walking St wasn't noticeably different.

You are always going to pay a little more if you are in the main tourist locations but the price difference is hardly noticeable for your average tourist.

Expats tend to notice the prices of everything as they are often on fixed incomes and spend their lives looking for bargains.

If you are based in Pattaya for your holidays any money you saved on cheaper prices would be eaten up by transport costs to get to some of the places mentioned anyway.

If you are based in Pattaya for your holidays any money you saved on cheaper prices would be eaten up by transport costs to get to some of the places mentioned anyway.

I'm afraid you're just flat out wrong. I had a meal recently in an awesome seafood restaurant in Laem Chabang, and four people were stuffed full of excellent seafood for under a thousand baht, including drinks. That could not happen in Pattaya--not even close. Transportation costs (of driving there and back) perhaps a hundred baht.

Edited by Jimmyd

I'm afraid you're just flat out wrong. I had a meal recently in an awesome seafood restaurant in Laem Chabang, and four people were stuffed full of excellent seafood for under a thousand baht, including drinks. That could not happen in Pattaya--not even close. Transportation costs (of driving there and back) perhaps a hundred baht.

Sounds good; how do we get there, Mate? B)

You may be right, but assuming that the average farang is on motorbike or baht bus, how practical are all of these places outside the central area....

Edited by Utterlyuseful

You may be right, but assuming that the average farang is on motorbike or baht bus, how practical are all of these places outside the central area....

Not practical at all is the answer.

How many tourists have their own car?

As soon as you hire a car you lose any benefit from the cheaper restaurant prices.

Plenty of good places in Pattaya no need to travel outside of Pattaya if you don't want to or don't have transport.

Edited by Tolley

As soon as you hire a car you lose any benefit from the cheaper restaurant prices.

Plenty of good places in Pattaya no need to travel outside of Pattaya if you don't want to or don't have transport.

It may not be practical to you, but it is quite practical to many people who read this board because they have cars or other means of transport. I have had some decent Thai food at reasonable prices in Pattaya, but nothing even close to as good as a few hole-in-the-wall places a reasonable driving distance away from Pattaya.

It may not be practical to you, but it is quite practical to many people who read this board because they have cars or other means of transport. I have had some decent Thai food at reasonable prices in Pattaya, but nothing even close to as good as a few hole-in-the-wall places a reasonable driving distance away from Pattaya.

Yeah, but you said before people on HOLIDAY. So for most of them, indeed, not practical. Most tourists don't even know about the good cheap seafood restaurants at the end of Jomtien beach road. Those can be assessed fairly easily by baht bus charter and sometimes you can find a a non-charter one going back if you are lucky.

Edited by Jingthing

Thai food is awesome, but good, reasonably priced Thai food is hard to find in Pattaya. If I were a foodie traveling here, I would want to know that and make plans (including arranging transport) accordingly. I regularly travel to spots outside Pattaya to get great Thai food. To some people, good food is important enough for the effort.

Edited by Jimmyd

Thai food is awesome, but good, reasonably priced Thai food is hard to find in Pattaya. If I were a foodie traveling here, I would want to know that and make plans (including arranging transport) accordingly. I regularly travel to spots outside Pattaya to get great Thai food. To some people, good food is important enough for the effort.

How do you rate the end of Jomtien beach road seafood places to the out of town places?

How do you rate the end of Jomtien beach road seafood places to the out of town places?

I've only been a couple times. I'd put them a notch below Preecha, and several notches below the place in Laem Chabang. My Thai friends turned me on to it--it's really amazing value and taste. The time I went and had food for under a 1000 baht for four people, I had a friend and his wife from Surin down visiting. He told me when they got back she couldn't stop talking about it.

Jingthing, I know an excellent Thai seafood noodle place at the very end of the baht bus route in Naklua if you're interested. I can't remember the name, but it's really great--especially if you like Yen Ta Fo--they make it the best I've ever had with tons of fresh seafood and homemade fish noodles. I'll get back to you on the name and location.

Edited by Jimmyd

If you can't find good food in Pattaya you aren't really trying.

I have eaten all over Thailand over the last thirty years and quite frankly i could stay in Pattaya and go no where and be quite satisfied with what I am getting.

Prices are often cheaper in other places ie non tourist areas but I haven't really noticed any great differences in quality.

With seafood as long as it is fresh it is quite hard to stuff it up.

Always good to try new places and go to new restaurants but for most tourists on holiday Pattaya has enough good places to keep you happy without having to travel too far out of the main tourist area.

I've only been a couple times. I'd put them a notch below Preecha, and several notches below the place in Laem Chabang. My Thai friends turned me on to it--it's really amazing value and taste. The time I went and had food for under a 1000 baht for four people, I had a friend and his wife from Surin down visiting. He told me when they got back she couldn't stop talking about it.

Jingthing, I know an excellent Thai seafood noodle place at the very end of the baht bus route in Naklua if you're interested. I can't remember the name, but it's really great--especially if you like Yen Ta Fo--they make it the best I've ever had with tons of fresh seafood and homemade fish noodles. I'll get back to you on the name and location.

That sounds great. I'd like to hear where it is. Not sure what you mean about the end of the route. They usually stop at the Naklua market, yes?

I haven't found one to which I would return. The only one to which I do, is the one that I described in Na Chom Thian 6.

Well, Tolley, you may be right. However, I just have never had what I consider a top-class Thai meal in Pattaya, even though I have had such meals in many small places outside of Pattaya. I am not sure why, but here's my guess: To have a top Thai restaurant, you need a demanding clientele. In Pattaya, most customers just don't know the difference between good and bad Thai food and will accept mediocre substitutes. In Nakhon Nowhere and Sakhon somewhere, people *do* know the difference and restaurants that don't make the grade tend to die quickly. I may be wrong, but that's my theory.

Well, Tolley, you may be right. However, I just have never had what I consider a top-class Thai meal in Pattaya, even though I have had such meals in many small places outside of Pattaya. I am not sure why, but here's my guess: To have a top Thai restaurant, you need a demanding clientele. In Pattaya, most customers just don't know the difference between good and bad Thai food and will accept mediocre substitutes. In Nakhon Nowhere and Sakhon somewhere, people *do* know the difference and restaurants that don't make the grade tend to die quickly. I may be wrong, but that's my theory.

Probably the majority of tourists wouldn't really like authentic thai food anyway.

In Pattaya a lot of the Thai food is westernised anyway to suit the farang taste bud.

You also gotta ask the question what is Thai food?

My lady is from Phayao and all the food that her friends and family eat is not on any menu I have ever seen and that goes for lots of other places in Thailand as well.

That sounds great. I'd like to hear where it is. Not sure what you mean about the end of the route. They usually stop at the Naklua market, yes?

Exactly--it's another couple hundred meters along Naklua road on the right side. Unfortunately, there are several noodle shops along that way so getting specific won't be easy--I can say it's a double shop house. Next time I go I'll try to get more specific directions for you.

Probably the majority of tourists wouldn't really like authentic thai food anyway.

In Pattaya a lot of the Thai food is westernised anyway to suit the farang taste bud.

You also gotta ask the question what is Thai food?

My lady is from Phayao and all the food that her friends and family eat is not on any menu I have ever seen and that goes for lots of other places in Thailand as well.

Well, my kind of tourist (and they do exist) are the ones who really *do* want to try real Thai food. In addition, I find when I take my friends from back home out to eat here, they are always impressed and when I meet them back in Farangland, they invariably talk about the great meals we had in Thailand.

Edited by Jimmyd

Ok, here's the scoop on the noodle restaurant in Naklua. It's a few hundred meters past the big tree on Naklua road on the right (east) side, opposite the Government Savings Bank. It's called Sawng Bundit (two graduates). The best thing to order in my opinion is the yen ta fo talay sen pla (yen ta fo seafood fish noodles). Pictures to follow:

The place (notice it's next to a smaller place that also looks good, but haven't tried it):

post-10689-056548200 1288418921_thumb.jp

The yen ta fo talay sen pla:

post-10689-000742100 1288418929_thumb.jp

The damage after we finished and ordered two more to go to eat at home:

post-10689-079924000 1288418925_thumb.jp

50 baht a bowl. Yeah, they have other stuff and some of it's good, but I'm just stuck on the yen ta fo now.

My favorites and why.

1. KISS, second road. Shrimp fried rice, Watermelon shake. All made fresh. To me this is heaven. 85 baht. Just a fantastic deal and great basic lunch that contains protein, some veggies and rice. And I like their spciy shrimp soup also.

2. Pork kabob and corn on the cob, fried rice cake (kow gee?) from street vendors. 10 to 20 baht a serving

3. Ruen Thai, second road. Complete Thai menu of good, maybe not great quaility. But it is semi outdoors, set back from the road, and the live dancers and thai music is worth taking somebody to see. Really does fit what many tourist might like to see on a night out in a foreign country.

You know what? After 10 trips to Thailand and Pattaya, I can't say I really frequent or highly recommend or know any exceptional Thai restaurants there. I stop in at whatever strikes me as decent at the time. Most are not that great. I tried many up along Pattaya Klang, and while cheap, the food quality was poor. I hope some good ones get listed on this thread. Going back in December I think for one month

I also recommend Precha's in Baan Amphur. Also, Rimpa Lapin further down the road. Precha's is a bit better and much cheaper, but Rimpa Lapin has excellent ambience.

We visit Precha's on a weekly basis and total cost for 4 is about 1,000 Baht or less.

We just don't have the good restaurants you find in Bangkok. Just doesn't compare at all...

I own a business, but not a restaurant.:D

IMHO Cherries is really good value for money and Gooses serves the best fish and chips that I have ever had in Thailand.

I have not eaten at any fancy restaurants in Pattaya that have impressed me, but I am sure that there are a few that would.

i have tried a number of fancy restaurants in Pattaya. the only thing impressive was the amount on the bill i had to pay. if you want to be impressed by food don't select a fancy restaurant!

100% AGREE and if you want good thai food dont go into a farang restaraunt that advertise thai food.One of the best i go to,and itd got maybe 250 thais eating until 5am, is coming from Thepraset rd,trun left onto sukhumvit and its about 200m on your left,even got a huge screen for footie or musioc,amazing thai food,english menus too and amazing prices.

Did i say it was AMAZING

Farang food I usually eat at home. Not worth a penny to pay in those fancy wine and dine restaurants!

Thai Food? Well, many places to go, although in average they are average as well. After staying quite a while in Thailand, I do not find the Thai food as exotic and yummy as when I arrived/visited the first time.

I would like to have some Indonesian food. Is there any place somebody know of in Pattaya?