Local Villagers Confront PAD Supporters In Surin

webfact

I would of thought a high percentage of the population of Surin descend from Cambodia.It is then plausible that has such they would not want to cause any friction with their counterparts across the border and had no bearing on the red or yellow shirts agenda.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to forum but is it not supposed to be against rules for one person in forum to call other one "little yellow brain" or something? . Are not there supposed to be forum people who control what goes on forum?. I do not have much chance for intelligent conversation in daily life and thought perhaps forum would provide this but it is not always so. Why must farang resort to calling people out of their name, as they say where I come from, to argue about the activities of two gangs of thugs. I think some forum members think they are actually redshirt or yellow shirt. Reality is the only party farang will be accepted by is the farang party. Redshirts and yellowshirts do not want you or I. This is not criticism of Thai people. I think they realize any farang who wishes to join up with them is misguided.

It's just an example of red democracy. "We are allowed to gather and air our views, but no one else is".

But this thread isn't about the red shirts...

i see you finally got it.

Well done, SergiY. You have some great posts here with some really good comments. I hope you continue the trend! :)

From your link, there are a few paragraphs that explain this protest...and why the locals are fighting back. I think someone earlier called these PAD protesters "ultra nationalists". Seems he was about right on. PAD is protesting Cambodia inhabiting land that is on the border but in dispute, and near this particular temple. The locals don't want outsiders to cause problems. This only has overtures of red vs. yellow because PAD is involved. But the locals just want to be left alone to get things sorted out. I'm sure many of the PAD members were from Bangkok...and like the red's who drove to Chiang Mai...probably drove there in their BMW or Benz.

Here's the interesting part of your article, SergiY:

--------------------------------------------------------

Residents opposed the PAD protest, fearing it would aggravate the border situation and harm their livelihood.

"They [PAD protesters] are here for just a couple of days. But we and the Cambodian people are here for life so we do not want any complications.

"The temple dispute has been going for years. Why protest now?" said Boonreum Khobutr, a village head.

--------------------------------------------------------

As you probably know, the people in Surin speak Khmer. And associate with that region closely. Just like the Issan people associate with Laos. And the southern people associate with Malaysia. I bet some of these villagers have relatives on the other side of the border????

Well done, SergiY!!!!!

For more info on this, here is an interesting link. It shows the map of the Kingdom of Siam in 1809, which includes a good part of Burma, China, Vietnam, and Malaysia....and all of Laos and Cambodia. Then it shows the map of Siam in 1909 after it lost a good part of the kingdom to the French and British. Of course a good part of Thailand was part of the Khmer empire back in the 12th century.

http://www.thailands.../index.cfm?p=91

Thanks for your reference.

It is about time that Thailand stand up and claim back what is ours. Our former glory of the Kingdom of Siam in 1809, which includes a good part of Burma, China, Vietnam, and Malaysia....and all of Laos and Cambodia.

I would of thought a high percentage of the population of Surin descend from Cambodia.It is then plausible that has such they would not want to cause any friction with their counterparts across the border and had no bearing on the red or yellow shirts agenda.

You are spot on....

I am new to forum but is it not supposed to be against rules for one person in forum to call other one "little yellow brain" or something? . Are not there supposed to be forum people who control what goes on forum?. I do not have much chance for intelligent conversation in daily life and thought perhaps forum would provide this but it is not always so. Why must farang resort to calling people out of their name, as they say where I come from, to argue about the activities of two gangs of thugs. I think some forum members think they are actually redshirt or yellow shirt. Reality is the only party farang will be accepted by is the farang party. Redshirts and yellowshirts do not want you or I. This is not criticism of Thai people. I think they realize any farang who wishes to join up with them is misguided.

Some members only last a short time...becoming banned after posts like you indicate. If you notice on the bottom left of every post there is a "report" button. If you see a post that is inappropriate, report it! Tell the mod why you think it is inappropriate. Some times, the post will get deleted and the member either warned (you only have so many before you are permanently banned) or put on a short holiday. It's a worthwhile effort to help weed out the ones who continually cause problems.

But many of us do enjoy a good debate...as long as it does not get personal and stays above board! :)

You are spot on....

Some members only last a short time...becoming banned after posts like you indicate. If you notice on the bottom left of every post there is a "report" button. If you see a post that is inappropriate, report it! Tell the mod why you think it is inappropriate. Some times, the post will get deleted and the member either warned (you only have so many before you are permanently banned) or put on a short holiday. It's a worthwhile effort to help weed out the ones who continually cause problems.

But many of us do enjoy a good debate...as long as it does not get personal and stays above board! :)

Thanks Craig, I will nominate you as the next moderator, so you can start clicking the ban icon so like so much

(PS Like roaches in Thailand, the troll will out live you no matter how effective your banning mechanism is. Don't waste your time.)

Edited by chantorn

You are spot on....

Thanks Craig, I will nominate you as the next moderator, so you can start clicking the ban icon so like so much

(PS Like roaches in Thailand, the troll will out live you no matter how effective your banning mechanism is. Don't waste your time.)

It's not a ban icon, it's an icon used to report a bad post. Big difference. And I don't like it...don't put words in my mouth. I never said that.

Trolls actually don't outlive most of us...it's amazing to see how many posters are gone. Happens all the time. It's not a waste of time, it makes TV a better place. Can you agree with that?

<snip for brevity>

Trolls actually don't outlive most of us...it's amazing to see how many posters are gone. Happens all the time. It's not a waste of time, it makes TV a better place. Can you agree with that?

Some trolls have more lives than a cat, and are re-born, IME. And they come from many countries, Montenegro or Russia, not just Scandinavia, as I had previously thought. Live & learn ! :rolleyes:

locals want their peace not disturbed by agitation and political missioners

Red cheerleaders will say anything, anything to support their side. Some learn well from their master Thaksin.

Are you a little yellow brain?

This issue have nothing to do with RED vs. YELLOW. These villager live there in peace with their Cambodian neighbors, they don't need some lunatic nationalists from outside creating trouble.

going to a temple is "creating trouble"? :blink:

is it what!!!!! This is Khao Phra Viharn.The yellows are hel_l bent on stirring up trouble between Thailand and Cambodia. Serious trouble. Already soldiers on both sides have died in battles.Over this temple and its approaches. So serious ,it has been closed to tourists for more than a year now.

Red cheerleaders will say anything, anything to support their side. Some learn well from their master Thaksin.

Are you a little yellow brain?

This issue have nothing to do with RED vs. YELLOW. These villager live there in peace with their Cambodian neighbors, they don't need some lunatic nationalists from outside creating trouble.

going to a temple is "creating trouble"? :blink:

is it what!!!!! This is Khao Phra Viharn.The yellows are hel_l bent on stirring up trouble between Thailand and Cambodia. Serious trouble. Already soldiers on both sides have died in battles.Over this temple and its approaches. So serious ,it has been closed to tourists for more than a year now.

Could you please point out in the OP:

errr.... ANY of what you've scribbled

I am not quite sure of Bucholz's point. Maybe a bit more explanation is needed. Khao Phra Viharn is in Si Sa Ket province. It has been disputed territory for over 50 years. An International court ruled that it is in Cambodia, but made no ruling on the surrounding land. So, there have been many battles , in which soldiers on both sides have been killed. Soldiers of both countries are today still facing each other.That is why going to a temple, in this case is causing serious trouble. The yellow shirts, who are ultra nationalists have been trying to stir up trouble between Thailand and Cambodia for a couple of years now. As a result K.P.V. has been closed to tourists for over a year. Now, they seem to have switched their attentions to another temple in Surin., Prasat Ta Muen Thom.The border here has never been demarcated.Everybody is currently quite content with the status quo.Ask the Thai soldiers here where the border is,and they will point to an imaginary space about 1 kilometre inside ,what is now referred to as a temporary border( South of Ta Muen Thom). The Cambodians when asked point to a point about 1 kilometre North of Ta Muen Thom. Everybody is happy to accept the status quo, at the moment and for the foreseeable future. The last thing needed in this very peaceful situation is for the ultra nationalist yellow shirts to come in and inflame the situation.As they did with K.P.V.Causing fighting between Cambodia and Thailand.It is NOT a border crossing ,as such, but there are troops from both sides permanently located here. Many of the locals , in Buriram ,Surin and Si Sa Ket , have relatives in Cambodia. Relations between them are excellent. They would hate to see the yellow shirts destroy this, which is the aim of the yellows.Due to their ultra nationalistic bent.

I am not quite sure of Buchholz's point.

Buchholz's point was that none of that is described in the OP.

What we have in the OP from 6 days ago was 3 brief sentences, thus all we have had in this thread going back 100 posts is aimless speculation as to what occurred 6 days ago.

What we have in the OP from 6 days ago was 3 brief sentences, thus all we have had in this thread going back 100 posts is aimless speculation as to what occurred 6 days ago.

Buchholz clearly utilises the habits of the Ostrich family...........lays large eggs....... and buries his head in the sand

Buchholz clearly utilises the habits of the Ostrich family...........lays large eggs....... and buries his head in the sand

ad hominem attack

edited to add the following content

The day was a religious holiday. People, apparently associated with the PAD apparently tried to go to a temple. There is no indication at all that it was a "protest". It is not unreasonable to assume that in addition to going to a temple on the day that monks leave rains retreat, that the people in question had a political motive for picking that temple. If so, the attempt was futile.

I doubt anyone claiming to care about freedom would suggest that the PAD or ANY group should not go to any temple that they choose to. You may not approve of their (assumed) motives but certainly they should be allowed to go to temple ANYWHERE that is not under the SoE. Anyplace under the SoE they should be checked for their motives.

Edited by jdinasia

its the PAD doing what they do best, causing trouble.

I know it's been asked before, but going to a temple is causing trouble?

Still, it's wonderful that we can have 70 replies to a report that is about... uhmmm... some people went to a temple and uhmmm... some others didn't like that.

Gosh, I wonder how many replies would have been made if there were like some uhmmm... actual details in it.

I suppose it is if you get shot in it.......................

ad hominem attack

The day was a religious holiday. People, apparently associated with the PAD apparently tried to go to a temple. There is no indication at all that it was a "protest". It is not unreasonable to assume that in addition to going to a temple on the day that monks leave rains retreat, that the people in question had a political motive for picking that temple. If so, the attempt was futile.

I doubt anyone claiming to care about freedom would suggest that the PAD or ANY group should not go to any temple that they choose to. You may not approve of their (assumed) motives but certainly they should be allowed to go to temple ANYWHERE that is not under the SoE. Anyplace under the SoE they should be checked for their motives.

Thanks for that rational thinking JD......... birds of a feather springs to mind.......I am all for freedom of movement and speech, when properly controlled to avoid deadly confrontation, as stated before. There is also no evidence that the villagers did anything other than halt the parade until the controlling authorities arrived.......as said prevously.....intelligence shown by the villagers.

Edited by 473geo

Which says or adds NOTHING to your ad hominem remarks geo .....

The "facts" of the story are in fact, scarce. What I posted was supposition. Do you consider it all strange that you are agreeing with supposition and not facts? It would have been just as reasonable for me to state that the "villagers" in question were preventing a lawful and legal attendance by a group they were politically opposed to, at a temple and that they were quite likely reds or at least red leaning .... that too would have been supposition.

The ..... ah ... why bother....

Did you have some additional information on the specifics from the 6 day-old OP with no specifics... or are you just adding to the roughage of this thread without details?

The "facts" of the story are in fact, scarce. What I posted was supposition. Do you consider it all strange that you are agreeing with supposition and not facts? It would have been just as reasonable for me to state that the "villagers" in question were preventing a lawful and legal attendance by a group they were politically opposed to, at a temple and that they were quite likely reds or at least red leaning .... that too would have been supposition.

Why bother indeed ........unless you wished to put into words a supposition that supports your political leanings.......what.......you just did that?.......quelle suprise JD!!!.....that, I suggest is the reason why you and you politically motivated friends bother.......to create an opportunity to spout more of your onesided political diatribe

A little sad don't you think?

As for your liittle Latin lesson.......I doubt many of the villagers you wish to label and criticise on this forum have the opportunity to respond.

Et tu brute

The day was a religious holiday. People, apparently associated with the PAD apparently tried to go to a temple. There is no indication at all that it was a "protest".

Thank you for the first additional details on the 6 day old thread with no details, a real shame it took 104 posts to get to that point, but hey, it hasn't stopped the detail filler-uppers from their imaginative additions.

Did you have some additional information on the specifics from the 6 day-old OP with no specifics... or are you just adding to the roughage of this thread without details?

When in Rome..........(To continue the theme introduced by JD)

The day was a religious holiday. People, apparently associated with the PAD apparently tried to go to a temple. There is no indication at all that it was a "protest".

Thank you for the first additional details on the 6 day old thread with no details, a real shame it took 104 posts to get to that point, but hey, it hasn't stopped the detail filler-uppers from their imaginative additions.

I think you'll find that JD admitted....... "What I posted was supposition"...................you'll be ok as long as the filler-uppers are using sand.........you are are you not?

I think you'll find that JD admitted....... "What I posted was supposition"...................you'll be ok as long as the filler-uppers are using sand.........you are are you not?

Nope. I'm just amazed that we can get 115 posts based on... uhmmm... essentially nothing.... and that 6 days later AND with still nothing... that members continue to add to it, miscellaneous flames notwithstanding.

Edited by Buchholz

Why bother indeed ........unless you wished to put into words a supposition that supports your political leanings.......what.......you just did that?.......quelle suprise JD!!!.....that, I suggest is the reason why you and you politically motivated friends bother.......to create an opportunity to spout more of your onesided political diatribe

As for your liittle Latin lesson.......I doubt many of the villagers you wish to label and criticise on this forum have the opportunity to respond.

Et tu brute

Who? What? Why are you mentionimg me?

Edited by whybother

Et tu brute

What you miss is that I posted supposition (reasoned but still supposition) ... you agree with it ... I point out that it was supposition and give some more reasoned supposition ... and poof. There you go with the attacks against the man and not the content :)

No individual political group should be allowed to do anything that brings the country into unintended armed international conflict. Unfortunately, you don't know how the other side is going to react to having a couple of hundred yellow clad (under a flag of nationalism) people out for a stroll in a potentially dangerous place.

Pure and simple.

Boats stray unintentionally across international water borders and in some parts of the world get blown up or the crew get arrested. I would hope that the yellow clad voice of Thailand don't want to get acquainted with at worst a bullet or a Cambodian prison cell should they inadvertently step on the wrong side of the line.

Playing dare with armies is a very stupid game.

Nope. I'm just amazed that we can get 115 posts based on... uhmmm... essentially nothing.... and that 6 days later AND with still nothing... that members continue to add to it, miscellaneous flames notwithstanding.

When there cannot, due to lack of substantial fact, be a 'winner' the prize of victory is elusive to all, thus the debate can continue for eons because by the same reasoning there can be no loser.

Unfortunately this type of debate does attract those which may have a use for a posting vehicle.

But it all adds to the fun.....if you are looking for more guidance on the events have a read of the Bangkok Post....as suggested above might enlighten you a little. I'm pretty sure we cannot use info from that circulation on TVisa

ad hominem attack

I cannot believe the stupidity or lack of knowledge of this topic. These temples, Khao Phra Viharn ,Prasat Ta Muen Thom, are NOT Buddhist, They are HINDU. I repeat HINDU, not Buddhist.Prasat Ta Muen Thom ,is a ruin ,It is most probably 700 years since any religious acts were performed there.The ultra nationalist yellow shirts only went there to stir up trouble between Thailand and Cambodia. Even the P. M., abihsit, cannot countenance there trouble making , on this issue. As they have with K.P.V. which lead to diplomatic incidents,including fighting between Thais and Cambodians, in which soldiers died.Last year.